Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: riddler on Mon, 23 Jun  2014, 16:24
How much input is Nolan having here? You could tell MOS had Nolans fingerprints all over it.
MoS was a step in the right direction, but it's a frustrating watch from beginning to end.

The flashbacks suffocate any sense of flow. And the language use, like the Nolan, is so un-natural and repetitious. "In time you will help them accomplish wonders" - "you have to decide what man you're going to be" - "he sent you here for a reason" - "when the world finds out what you can do, it's going to change everything" - etc, etc. Just shut up already. Everybody is some deep philosopher who speaks poetry.

There's too much telling and not showing. We sit through the Krypton sequence at the beginning, only to hear Jor-El's consciousness tell Clark all over again - then we get Zod telling us his little story in the dream sequence, which was pretty much covered in the colonisation speech Jor-El gave Clark.   

Clark's childhood in MoS was just too bleak for my liking. It's probably the most constantly miserable existence I can imagine. Being picked on, restraining himself and also made to feel guilty. It was an attempt to make Superman relateable, but this was overboard. I am optimistic for BvS, and have liked most of the things I have seen and heard. I just hope the movie delivers on the concept, which should be an engaging and fun experience, regardless of how dark things get.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 24 Jun  2014, 03:57

The flashbacks suffocate any sense of flow. And the language use, like the Nolan, is so un-natural and repetitious. "In time you will help them accomplish wonders" - "you have to decide what man you're going to be" - "he sent you here for a reason" - "when the world finds out what you can do, it's going to change everything" - etc, etc. Just shut up already. Everybody is some deep philosopher who speaks poetry.

There's too much telling and not showing. We sit through the Krypton sequence at the beginning, only to hear Jor-El's consciousness tell Clark all over again - then we get Zod telling us his little story in the dream sequence, which was pretty much covered in the colonisation speech Jor-El gave Clark.   

This has been a consistent flaw with every Nolan-scripted movie, especially his Batman trilogy. Begins has every character say the word fear every five minutes and Bruce keeps explaining how he wants to become a symbol for Gotham, even though we don't get to really see what impact he's having on the city other than the police. Dark Knight kept talking about "chaos this, chaos that", how Harvey Dent is the best thing to ever happen to Gotham and so on. Every character always come across as trying to sound more sophisticated than they actually are, and was another reason why I couldn't stand watching those movies. Each movie made me think "Enough already, we get it! Let's get on with the farken film!".

Although Man of Steel does share this flaw too, I didn't find as bothersome to be honest. I thought Kevin Costner's speech as Pa Kent was no more annoying than Pa Kent's in the 1978 film. Slightly repetitive, perhaps, but at least it doesn't go on and on and on like in Batman Begins. Then again, it could be a sign that Nolan's "tell, don't show" approach to storytelling is clouding my judgement.  ;) :D

All joking aside, Clark Kent's fear of how the world might react to him is what made me forgive the expository dialogue, and I thought that it made character more relatable than Nolan's Bruce Wayne. Having said that, Nolan should really not be allowed to write scripts at all. But as long as he keeps getting away with this he'll continue to write clunky, expository dialogue.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Here's a first look of Henry Cavill as Superman. Now tell me, I can't be the only one who thinks the background looks like Gotham City? It looks the Gotham from the Arkham games. Let's hope that's how the city will look like in the film! 8)

Source: http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/07/03/first-official-image-from-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Despite some concerns with the new additions to the cast of BvS, along with an abundance of cameos just to make that leap over to Justice League, Cavill as Superman, and Gotham (if that is Gotham, which it probably is as it's easy step for a visual director like Snyder to make apparent the contrast from Metropolis) appearing visually bleak do not fit that equation.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Looks awesome! My guess is that Batman is on the other side of the pic (which is probably the one Kevin Smith saw) but it could be a while until we see that.

It's downright criminal we have to wait until 2016 to see the film.  I bet they could make the December 2015 schedule, but of course, WB wants to go the "traditional" route of having a big movie come out in the summer.

Gotham looks great.

Visually, it seems Snyder will deliver a hell hole - the best one since B89, BR.

Tue, 5 Aug 2014, 16:14 #26 Last Edit: Tue, 5 Aug 2014, 16:16 by Edd Grayson
Details regarding the plot of Ben Affleck's new version of Batman have been revealed, hinting at a storyline involving a long and dark history for the Caped Crusader.

Affleck is currently filming Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice in Detroit and, according to Badass Digest, his Bruce Wayne will be in his fifties and have been active as Batman for some three decades before the arrival of Superman on planet Earth and the events of 2013's reboot Man of Steel.

Their report states: "In this version Batman is still an urban legend, a creature of the night, and no one has ever taken his picture. But he's had plenty of adventures, and the Batcave includes a memorial centred around a tattered Robin costume."

In the Batman lore, the death of Robin – at the hands of The Joker no less, which could lead to a nod toward the iconic villain in Zack Snyder's movie – is important to the character of Batman and the loneliness he feels.
That in turn could serve as an important plot point as he, Henry Cavill's Superman and Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman team up to create the earliest formation of the Justice League.

"I've heard more," the report says, "but I'm wary of crossing the line into spoilers. I do quite like this little tidbit, though, because it gives us a sense of a very different Batman than we've ever seen in the movies. This sets Affleck's version apart from Bale and the others easily - he's a quieter operator, not involved in blockbuster battles but in all sorts of badass vigilantism."

According to the report, Wonder Woman will also have been active for some time as the movie starts, working on a similarly low key level to Batman.

-----

Damn... I do like that Batman is more of an urban legend, it reminds me of the 1989 Batman.

Assuming it's true, I do quite like the sound of this.  :)  Like you state, it does recall the notion of Batman as a mysterious 'urban legend' from the 1989 Batman.  I'm guessing however there won't be much room for Commissioner Gordon if Batman is a loner in this universe.  :-\  Then again the TV show "Gotham" should give us a sufficient Gordon fix for now.

I wonder if the Joker will be holed up in Arkham, and if that means he might make an appearance later down the line.  It will be interesting in view of the personal history, if your source is right about the Joker murdering Robin.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I love it; we've never seen Batman late in his career on film and showing that aspect of the character. So far all the shots of Affleck show him as gloomy and tortured and that might be why; it also adds to his unwillingess to trust other heroes when he probably blames himself for Robin's death.

The only down side is I did want to see Robin portrayed again on screen and it doesn't seem as though such is happening (although we could get a prequel I guess).

Thoughts: as with everything else concerning this flick, my reaction is "meh." I will say that I find this better than the costumes for Supes and Batsy.

On the other hand, if I wanted to be nitpicky, I'd say that the boots are too high and that the absence of colour is a big minus - the shapes on the armour are excellent, but it should have had this colour scheme.

Still, could have been a lot worse.