Classic Monsters references on Burton's Batman Movies

Started by ZUPERZERO, Sat, 19 Jul 2008, 08:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Another thing that not many people notice is when Thr Joker and Vicki reach the top of the cathedral, just before they actually enter the bell tower, you can see Nicholson impersonating some kind of zombie/classic monster behind Vicki!!! lol

Look out for it!

^ That and Robert Whul did say that Burton and Peters came up with the bell tower ending after seeing The Phantom of the Opera musical. 
While I don't really see the similarities between the musical and the bell tower sequence, I think there definitely is an influence of the character.

Great thread, ZUPERZERO.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

The Robert Wuhl comment is a little misleading. Even in the first draft of the script, Batman and the Joker faced off in the Bell Tower, but until Peters and Nicholson saw Phantom of the Opera, there was no kidnap of Vicki - she was busy attending to Dick Grayson (tranquilised by Batman) at the Cathedral steps. Only after did they decide that Joker should take Vale to the Bell tower with him (in the same way that the Phantom kidnaps Cristine).
"Excuse me. You ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?"

I don't know if this was intended or not but during the masquerade in Returns there is someone dressed up as the red death (on the staircase when Selina enters).
Could be a subtle nod to Phantom of the Opera.

Quote from: PJ on Tue, 22 Jul  2008, 08:56
The Robert Wuhl comment is a little misleading. Even in the first draft of the script, Batman and the Joker faced off in the Bell Tower, but until Peters and Nicholson saw Phantom of the Opera, there was no kidnap of Vicki - she was busy attending to Dick Grayson (tranquilised by Batman) at the Cathedral steps. Only after did they decide that Joker should take Vale to the Bell tower with him (in the same way that the Phantom kidnaps Cristine).
Thanks for clearing that up, PJ  :)
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Sat, 26 Jul 2008, 12:05 #6 Last Edit: Sun, 27 Jul 2008, 00:19 by ZUPERZERO

its updated and ready

An informative read, ZuperZero. One nitpick, however... While you're right that both movies share a 'beauty and the beast' line, they're actually quoted like this:

Joker: It's as though we were made for each other... Beauty and the Beast. Of course, if anyone else calls you beast, I'll rip their lungs out.

Penguin: You're Beauty and the Beast in one luscious Christmas gift pack.

Unless, of course, that's how your quotations came out in the spanish version(considering where you came from).