Batman: Arkham Trilogy Coming to Nintendo Switch

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 21 Jun 2023, 20:38

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Travesty on Fri, 12 Jan  2024, 16:46But reading the rest of your post, I had no idea there was a Brave and the Bold game. I'm gonna have to find a way to play that.  :o

I think it slipped under a lot of fans' radars. It's a fun throwback to the 2D side-scrolling brawler Batman games of the 8-bit and 16-bit eras. There's a small amount of platforming involved, and two-player co-op is available. It's very easy, just like the Lego Batman games, so anyone looking for a challenge should look elsewhere. But fans of the TV show will enjoy it. The cut scenes are fully animated like the series and the original voice cast reprise their roles.

Here's a gameplay trailer.

And here's a specially animated trailer featuring Bat-Mite, Batman and Green Arrow.

Fans of the Brave & the Bold TV show, Pre-Crisis comics and old-school beat 'em ups will get the most out of this game. But anyone looking for something challenging, dark or more open world like the Arkham series will be disappointed. Personally, I had a blast playing it. If you can find a copy, it's worth getting.

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Sat, 13 Jan  2024, 02:22The Telltale games are a perfect counterbalance to the Arkham series, since they focus more on Bruce Wayne, making them a rather perfect companion series to the action-heavy Arkham saga.

I've just bought the first season of the Telltale series. The Nintendo eShop has it on sale until tomorrow, so I thought I'd get it while the price was reduced. I probably won't play it for a while yet, as I've got some other games to be getting on with first, but I've got it downloaded on my Switch for later in the year. I'm looking forward to it. :)

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 13 Jan  2024, 05:15I haven't played the Brave and the Bold game either, but I'm going to change that. Vengeance, Rise of Sun Tzu and Batman Begins are also good games if anyone can still play them. Luckily I still have those consoles packed away. Begins plays like an early template for the Arkham games.

I never played the Batman Begins game, but I did watch part of a playthrough on YouTube last year and I was struck by how many elements foreshadowed the Arkham series. Specifically the glider, fear and stealth mechanics. I might try to track down a copy for the PS2 at some point. It looks like a solid game and I like how Bale's Batman voice sounds more subtle than in TDK and TDKR.

Watching someone play through BB made me wonder what the cancelled The Dark Knight game would've been like.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 13 Jan  2024, 19:40I never played the Batman Begins game, but I did watch part of a playthrough on YouTube last year and I was struck by how many elements foreshadowed the Arkham series. Specifically the glider, fear and stealth mechanics. I might try to track down a copy for the PS2 at some point. It looks like a solid game and I like how Bale's Batman voice sounds more subtle than in TDK and TDKR.

Watching someone play through BB made me wonder what the cancelled The Dark Knight game would've been like.

For a game based on a movie it's made with respect and doesn't feel like a lazy cash grab. I think a game on TDK would've been worthwhile (especially if the batpod was playable) and I'm kind of disappointed one didn't eventuate. But at the end of the day its general template was expanded upon by Rocksteady. Begins has its place in the evolution of Batman games and for that I respect it.

Speaking of Arkham Origins again, Matt Reeves managed to capture the atmosphere of the game closely even if he wasn't intending to. A younger, darker Batman who spends the story hunted by the police and also infiltrating/escaping GCPD.

Having recently completed Arkham Asylum and Arkham City back to back, I decided to take a break from the Arkhamverse and play the Telltale series. I just finished the first season. I enjoyed it. I like how the cell-shaded graphical style evokes comic book art, the voice acting's good and I enjoyed the point-and-click gameplay. The detective elements are more involved than in the Arkham series, where you basically just scan clues and follow trails, and the experience simulates what it would feel like to be Bruce Wayne as well as Batman.

On the negative side, I've never been a huge fan of quick time events in games, and there are a lot of them in this series. I also didn't care for the musical score, which I thought was too derivative of the soundtrack from Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy. I'm curious to know just how different the narrative permutations are in relation to player choices. The only way to find that out will be to replay it, I suppose. My rating at the end of the game was 'merciful', which is appropriate since I was trying to play as if I was West's Batman.

The storyline is immersive and has some good twists. I remember people saying that the plot of Matt Reeves' The Batman borrowed heavily from this series, but I didn't realise just how true that was until now. The game presents one of the better screen treatments of Two-Face, and I wouldn't object to Reeves drawing inspiration from the Telltale Dent in a future movie. All in all, a fun experience that's very different from the Arkham series.

Next I'm going to play Arkham Knight.