Omni Music Publishing Releases Danny Elfman's Batman In Full Score!!!!!

Started by THE BAT-MAN, Sat, 15 Feb 2014, 03:44

Previous topic - Next topic
Here is Danny's unused cue 10M1 The Truth presented for the first time with the scene from BATMAN.  

So this is where it was supposed to go according to Elfman's notes? I only ask, because it also seems to fit just after the "nice girl and i like you a lot but for now shut up.." and he starts trying to explain who he is.

It does seem to fit - given it has hints of the Love theme in it.

It does feel a little jarring for 2 reasons, I've never seen the scene that that! and also the music is a little overbearing on the dialogue.

Great post!

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Thu, 26 Jun  2014, 13:09
So this is where it was supposed to go according to Elfman's notes? I only ask, because it also seems to fit just after the "nice girl and i like you a lot but for now shut up.." and he starts trying to explain who he is.

It does seem to fit - given it has hints of the Love theme in it.

It does feel a little jarring for 2 reasons, I've never seen the scene that that! and also the music is a little overbearing on the dialogue.

Great post!

Hey Paul, Thank you for your reply.  Yes, this is where the music was originally intended to be according to Elfman's own cue notes.  The cue notes written above Bar 2 says [Cut Door]  Bar 4 says [Opens] and the last Bar in the score which is Bar 18 says [Bruce Pushes Vicki].  As for the music being a little overbearing with the dialogue.  I was having a bit of trouble with mixing the music with the audio.   Anyway, I personally like the score with the scene.   I still can't believe that La La Land Records made the bizarre mistake of calling this cue "Joker's Muzak" and giving us misinformation in their liner notes.

We were playing around with audio levels Kamdan. It will be posted as a feature tomorrow! My fault for being slow getting it up on the site!

Regarding "Joker's Muzak", when we were producing the La-La Land album, we didn't have access to the printed score now in your possession. We did have very crude dot matrix printed spotting notes from 1989, that weren't the most detailed. I've seen spotting notes broken down by frame. In comparison, the Batman spotting notes gave a description of a scene and a running time. For "The Truth" the spotting notes indicated 10 seconds followed by "Joker's Muzak" which was closer to the running time of the cue we had so we went with the info available. I'm glad this mystery was solved and I'll be sure to re-title "The Truth" and sequence it appropriately in my iTunes.

Neil

Quote from: CarterOfMars on Mon, 14 Jul  2014, 01:26
Regarding "Joker's Muzak", when we were producing the La-La Land album, we didn't have access to the printed score now in your possession. We did have very crude dot matrix printed spotting notes from 1989, that weren't the most detailed. I've seen spotting notes broken down by frame. In comparison, the Batman spotting notes gave a description of a scene and a running time. For "The Truth" the spotting notes indicated 10 seconds followed by "Joker's Muzak" which was closer to the running time of the cue we had so we went with the info available. I'm glad this mystery was solved and I'll be sure to re-title "The Truth" and sequence it appropriately in my iTunes.

Neil

Thanks for replying, Neil.  I'm glad I was able to help solve this mystery.

Two more things. Since no music appears in reel 10 until the Percy Faith recording of "Beautiful Dreamer" it was another reason why we thought this cue would be "Joker's Muzak". This wasn't done haphazardly. It was an educated guess made with all of the facts available at the time.

I also read speculation in this thread that perhaps "Joker's Muzak" is the hidden easter egg on disc 2 at the end. No, that's the celeste isolated from "Beddy Bye".

Neil

Quote from: CarterOfMars on Mon, 14 Jul  2014, 23:58
I also read speculation in this thread that perhaps "Joker's Muzak" is the hidden easter egg on disc 2 at the end. No, that's the celeste isolated from "Beddy Bye".

Neil

Thanks for clearing that up.  The reason I had thought that the hidden easter egg on disc 2 near the end was possiblly "Joker's Muzak" was because the use of the choir in the backround starting at the 6:02 mark was humming a humorous version of Photos/Beautiful Dreamer.  The choir itself sounds like they had been affected by Joker's laughing gas.  Because this version of the score had never before been heard I thought it would make a for good reason to call it Joker's Muzak as it sounds very Jokeresque.  Although the celeste instrument that is islolated from "Beddy Bye" doesn't appear until much later on at the 6:54 mark.  Anyway, Thank you again for sharing Neil.