Omni Music Publishing Releases Danny Elfman's Batman In Full Score!!!!!

Started by THE BAT-MAN, Sat, 15 Feb 2014, 03:44

Previous topic - Next topic
I just received this awesome book.  And all I can say is, WOW!!!  For those of you who haven't made a purchase of this book yet, you are truly missing out.  Even if you don't read sheet music this is still a great batman related purchase.  In my opinion it is definitively the best batman related purchase of my life. 

There are some cool things that I think you guys will find very interesting.  One of the these things is that when La La Land records released the 2 cd complete expanded archival score.  There was a bonus cue that read "Joker's Muzak."  Many have wondered what scene was this cue meant for?  Well, I have the answer now, Thanks to owning this full score book.  This particular cue title is FALSE, it has nothing to do with the Joker or his music.  In fact this cue has more to do with the relationship between Vicki and Bruce.  The true name of this cue title is called "The Truth." It was omitted from the final cut of the film, but it supposedly starts seconds after Alfred  suggest's to Bruce, that he should try telling Vicki the truth and it ends when Bruce pushes Vicki. 

Other Cues that didn't make it in the final cut of the film include:

"Morning After"

"Board Meeting"

"Vicki Hides Film"

"...Or Their Sons"

"Joker Flies To Gotham"

There is still alot more things to share, but I will save that for another time.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Mon, 24 Feb  2014, 14:45
Fancy doing a review for the sites feature section?

It would be my pleasure to write a review for the sites feature section.

Great.

Go to http://www.batman-online.com/index.php?features;action=edit (should be a link at the top anyway)

You should then have access to an editor that you can add the review and photos. Let me know if you need anything!

I found something that you guys might find interesting.  According to Danny Elfman's own cue notes for 13M2 Waltz, which is written on the top of bar 11.  It reads, "Dead Ninja."  He is referring to the Joker henchman that attacks Batman before the waltz begins.   

As seen on this clip.  From the look of the clip it looks like Batman simply just hits him between the groin and knocks him out.   However,  I wonder if it was intended for the henchman to be killed by Batman's spring glove device or if it was just an expression on Danny's notes.  Danny's cue note for bar 10 reads, "Contact" which is on the 0:13 sec mark of the clip.  While bar 11 deals with the aftermath and reads, "Dead Ninja" which is on the 0:15 sec mark of the clip.

Good review! It's interesting how a film's secrets can be detected in its film score. I wonder if the 'dead ninja' reference relates to the goon who jumps through the floorboards and accidentally kills himself. Or was there originally a longer confrontation between Batman and the first goon in the bell tower which resulted in the latter's death?

The book sounds fascinating. But while I'm a fan of classical music, and have studied the violin and cello, I think a lot of this material would still go over my head. It's probably best suited for musicians with a deeper understanding of composition and orchestration. But it sound like a very interesting book.

I'm not sure the Latin translation of the 'Descent into Mystery' vocals is accurate though. I'd have to revise my Latin vocab to be certain, but it looks a little off to me. But I could be wrong. Embarrassingly, I didn't even recognise it as real Latin until now. I'll listen more carefully the next time I watch it.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun,  2 Mar  2014, 17:01
Good review! It's interesting how a film's secrets can be detected in its film score. I wonder if the 'dead ninja' reference relates to the goon who jumps through the floorboards and accidentally kills himself. Or was there originally a longer confrontation between Batman and the first goon in the bell tower which resulted in the latter's death?

The book sounds fascinating. But while I'm a fan of classical music, and have studied the violin and cello, I think a lot of this material would still go over my head. It's probably best suited for musicians with a deeper understanding of composition and orchestration. But it sound like a very interesting book.

I'm not sure the Latin translation of the 'Descent into Mystery' vocals is accurate though. I'd have to revise my Latin vocab to be certain, but it looks a little off to me. But I could be wrong. Embarrassingly, I didn't even recognise it as real Latin until now. I'll listen more carefully the next time I watch it.

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad you thought the review was good.  The "Dead Ninja" cue note reference does not relate to the 2nd goon, that jumps and falls through the floor.  That is inaccurate.  The book clearly shows that the "Dead Ninja" cue (Bar 11) is referring to the 1st goon that get's hit by Batman's spring glove device.  The 2nd goon that falls through the floor boards doesn't pop up until (Bar 33) and he goes through the floor on (Bar 35).

I feel it shouldn't matter whether somone knows how to read sheet music or not.  Anyone, who is truly a devoted Batman 89 Fan and a Danny Elfman fan could appreciate this book and be able to learn something from it.  I didn't know that you studied both the violin and cello that sounds awesome. 

I too, have some doubts regarding the Latin translations for "Descent Into Mystery."  However, the book shows both latin and english translations.  The book also shows that the lyrics translations were permitted by Prof. John M. Oksanish, PhD. 

Also, according to Janet K. Halfyard's book (Batman: A Film Score Guide) the lyrics comprises both latin and solfege.