Jesse Eisenberg is Luthor, Jeremy Irons is Alfred

Started by BatmAngelus, Fri, 31 Jan 2014, 18:00

Previous topic - Next topic
No complaints about Irons. Eisenberg is a fair actor, not a great one, and I was one of those people who found Social Network over-rated.

Aces with Jeremy Irons as Alfred. I'm sure he'll be good in the role.

Now .... to Eisenberg .....

Back in 2006/2007, I really can't speak for those who are shocked by the news, but I wasn't pissed at Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker. Because he was a relatively unknown actor to me at the time. Though of course, following the announcement, I began checking out more films with Ledger in the cast, and quickly saw how evidently talented he was as a versatile actor. Now with jesse Eisenberg, I've seen him in plenty of movies, and find him to have decidedly less range for sure. As he typically plays uppity, angsty, anxiety riddled characters. That's his shtick from what I've seen. With absolutely zero alpha tendencies. Which, by the way, is what I think makes Luthor such a great character, his alpha dominancy and how that gives him the belief that he's truly in Superman's league.

Really not sure about this. I honestly was hoping for a Post-Crisis competent, well executed Luthor, but it appears, thanks in large part to The Social Network I'm sure, we're going to end up with a Mark Zuckerberg-esque Lex Luthor now .....  Yay.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sun,  2 Feb  2014, 06:11
Really not sure about this. I honestly was hoping for a Post-Crisis competent, well executed Luthor, but it appears, thanks in large part to The Social Network I'm sure, we're going to end up with a Mark Zuckerberg-esque Lex Luthor now .....  Yay.
It is a bit of a shock to the system, to be sure. It will take getting used to. But...I like the approach. A movie of this calibre could very easily cast itself and cruise through on autopilot. WB and Snyder are choosing to do something very different, especially with their casting decisions. Gal Gadot could prove to be a dud acting wise when they easily could've cast someone experienced. Eisenberg and the young guy concept could prove to be a mixed bag. Affleck may not be any really different to his Daredevil days. There's a fair share of risks here. And it has raised my interest considerably for the final product.

I need to reply what I think about this statement from this article.

QuoteNow Batman Vs Superman's Lex Luthor is set to be played by Jesse Eisenberg, an actor nobody expected to fill the role. Lex Luthor has always been cast as an eccentric genius whose confidence allowed him to ignore how physically unmatched he was against Superman. Jesse Eisenberg simply doesn't appear to have any of those qualities, from what we've seen in Zombieland, Now You See Me, and The Social Network (though he does play a bit of a genius in that one).

It seems Jesse Eisenberg won't need to be any of those things in Batman Vs Superman. Lex Luthor is reportedly being reimagined as a tattooed skinhead street punk, a decision which could easily turn off a lot of DC Comics purists. When we think of the tattooed street punk, we usually think of the villains from the Mad Max films, or the gang members from Back to the Future and Police Academy.

So far all we have to go on for reference is the first Man of Steel, which has drawn strongly mixed feelings from all around. Batman Vs Superman's Lex Luthor reimagining is only the latest in the shocking revelations surrounding Zack Snyder's latest film about the Kryptonian orphan, and it's uncertain how much more can be changed before the purists give up entirely.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1126648/batman-vs-superman-lex-luthor-jesse-eisenberg/#qfIb8wyYYJOuP3SV.99

Yeah, well when I first saw Heath Ledger dressed up as the kind of Joker who had scars on his face and goth-looking makeup smeared everywhere, I honestly thought the purists would've screamed with rage and rejected the way he looked. To my surprise, it was widely praised instead. When I think of the Joker, I think of a homicidal clown who murders people with comedic gags - not a totally scarred maniac who looks like he belongs in a horror movie.
Just to be clear, I'm not too enthusiastic about this rumour about Lex's characterisation either. But assuming that is true, I better not hear complaints from the same "purists" who praised the way Ledger's Joker looked. That for me would be too much of a double standard to tolerate.  >:(
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 10 Feb  2014, 06:18
Yeah, well when I first saw Heath Ledger dressed up as the kind of Joker who had scars on his face and goth-looking makeup smeared everywhere, I honestly thought the purists would've screamed with rage and rejected the way he looked. To my surprise, it was widely praised instead.
I think it was praised because it was in stark contrast to what was being painted. A cutesy, gay cowboy caricature. Instead we received a long haired lout with a liking for knives. It surprised and shocked people in equal measure.

I like Ledger's Joker, but it's hardly what I would call definitive.

Entertaining debate.  :o

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

This is what Irons said recently about his version of Alfred:

Quote"Oh he'll be quite different. He has an interesting history. He's a very competent man. He's the sort of man I think anyone would like to be married to. He can sort of do everything: change light bulbs, blow up bridges if he has to."

http://www.movieweb.com/batman-v-superman-alfred-jeremy-irons

It sounds like they could be taking cues from Earth One, where Alfred saved Batman's life by shooting the Penguin to death with a shotgun.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 10 Feb  2014, 06:18

QuoteLex Luthor is reportedly being reimagined as a tattooed skinhead street punk

Are they f***ing serious? How can they screw up probably the second greatest comic book villain ever that badly?

Yeah not quite so excited anymore :-\

Pretty sure the Lex Luthor thing was debunked a long while back when a guy wrote his own BvS script that incorporated the tattoos and then "leaked" that intel to other places so they'd think his script was legit.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...