Jesse Eisenberg is Luthor, Jeremy Irons is Alfred

Started by BatmAngelus, Fri, 31 Jan 2014, 18:00

Previous topic - Next topic
Fri, 31 Jan 2014, 18:00 Last Edit: Sat, 1 Feb 2014, 17:49 by BatmAngelus
On Eisenberg:
Quote"Lex Luthor is often considered the most notorious of Superman's rivals, his unsavory reputation preceding him since 1940," Snyder said in Warner Bros' announcement of the castings today. "What's great about Lex is that he exists beyond the confines of the stereotypical nefarious villain. He's a complicated and sophisticated character whose intellect, wealth and prominence position him as one of the few mortals able to challenge the incredible might of Superman. Having Jesse in the role allows us to explore that interesting dynamic, and also take the character in some new and unexpected directions."

I can't be the only one hoping that Irons sports a familiar moustache...

Quote"As everyone knows, Alfred is Bruce Wayne's most trusted friend, ally and mentor, a noble guardian and father figure. He is an absolutely critical element in the intricate infrastructure that allows Bruce Wayne to transform himself into Batman. It is an honor to have such an amazingly seasoned and gifted actor as Jeremy taking on the important role of the man who mentors and guides the guarded and nearly impervious façade that encapsulates Bruce Wayne."

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/jesse-eisenberg-jeremy-irons-superman-batman-movie-warner-bros/
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Fri, 31 Jan  2014, 18:00
I can't be the only one hoping that Irons sports a familiar moustache...

Quote"As everyone knows, Alfred is Bruce Wayne's most trusted friend, ally and mentor, a noble guardian and father figure. He is an absolutely critical element in the intricate infrastructure that allows Bruce Wayne to transform himself into Batman. It is an honor to have such an amazingly seasoned and gifted actor as Jeremy taking on the important role of the man who mentors and guides the guarded and nearly impervious façade that encapsulates Bruce Wayne."

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/jesse-eisenberg-jeremy-irons-superman-batman-movie-warner-bros/#more-674746
I like Irons as Alfred but I'm not sure what to make of Eisenberg as Luthor.  I'm guessing it will be yet another 'evil nerd'. 

Nothing like eating the hand that feeds you (i.e. demonising the nerds that arguably swarm to these comic-book films to begin with).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Eisenberg really does not match up to Henry Cavill in my opinion. Unlike Christopher Reeve and Gene Hackman facing off against each other. How are we to believe this little "twerp" is the sworn enemy of Superman? I can't visualise it at all. Obviously a case of casting younger dudes to get the "chicks in the audience asses on seats".

Eisenberg irritated the HELL out of me in "The Social Network". To be fair to him though that's only because he was playing the truly annoying persona of Mark Zuckerberg. Who created the annoying website that is Facebook. That later got turned into the annoyingly smug David Fincher film. Who is himself smug and annoying. And then won lots of annoying Oscars to go with it all. So the words Eisenberg and annoying sadly go hand in hand for me. And it's extremely annoying Lex Luthor is he and not Joaquin Phoenix or Bryan Cranston (both physically perfect for it).

Jeremy Irons I like very much although I at first believed he'd been cast as a major villain. It's always nice how big "names" seem to get lured to the Batman movies more so than other comic book films. If you'd told me this guy (who started out on British daytime kiddies show "Playschool") would one day be the butler of Mr Wayne I'd have spat my dummy out lol So don't think I'll now be able to watch "The Lion King" or "Die Hard 3" again without going "Oooh it's Alfred!".

I've got to disagree with you about 'The Social Network' and David Fincher.  It's a great film and Fincher is one of the finest American directors currently making movies.

I'm ambivalent about Eisenberg's casting.  Haven't we seen enough nerds as baddies already?  What about a dashing charismatic playboy villain for once ('The Fantastic Four' tried lamely to do this with Dr Doom but that didn't suit that particular character who's more of a moody, dictatorial genius)?

On the other hand, a young whizz-kid genius is an interesting angle and credible in terms of the real-life hot-shots that currently rule the world.  As much as I like Cranston this is also a much more fresh take on the character than I suspect we would have seen from another middle-aged schlumpy character actor akin to Hackman and Spacey.  Plus, it frees up Cranston to play 'Commissioner Gordon' if that's still a possibility.

Plus, aren't we meant to hate Luthor anyway?  So 'smug and annoying' don't exactly mark Eisenberg as a bad choice.

QuoteAnd it's extremely annoying Lex Luthor is he and not Joaquin Phoenix or Bryan Cranston

..or George Clooney. I would have loved to see him in the role, but obviously they wanted something totally different, and much younger.

Quote from: Nycteris on Fri, 31 Jan  2014, 20:46
QuoteAnd it's extremely annoying Lex Luthor is he and not Joaquin Phoenix or Bryan Cranston

..or George Clooney. I would have loved to see him in the role, but obviously they wanted something totally different, and much younger.
After 'Batman & Robin' Clooney wouldn't touch a comic-book franchise with a barge-pole but I'm with you.  Clooney is exactly the type of handsome, smooth, suave actor I'd have liked to have seen play a new incarnation of Luthor.

Still, the bitter, self-made nerd-genius could be an interesting new angle for Lew Luthor after Hackman and Spacey's older incarnations.

Jeremy Irons as Alfred is an inspiring choice. But Jesse Eisenberg as Lex makes me laugh, and I doubt he is going to play the business executive/playboy type! If he's typecast as the Zuckerberg-like douche, it's going to be hilarious to see him play alongside Cavill and Affleck.

Quick, someone edit Man of Steel's "You Are Not Alone" trailer with Eisenberg's quotes from The Social Network!  ;D ;D ;D
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

ok i havent been following news on this movie much but jeremy irons as alfred? sh*t just got real kiddies. i LOVE him.

You ether die a trilogy or live long enough to see yourself become batman & robin