Would it have been more interesting

Started by Andrew, Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 16:56

Previous topic - Next topic
If Alfred hadn't left Bruce but had actually pushed him to come out of retirement and fight Bane? Then his guilt at the end would have been stronger and in some sense made more sense (since in the actual film Bruce suffered due to his *disregarding* Alfred's advice).

I don't think so. Because the theme (and title) of the movie revolves around Batman finally rising on his own. When he has everything else taken away from him, he has to dig down deep to find the strength to fight. He can't depend upon Gordon, Fox, Alfred or anybody else. His literal rise from the prison sinkhole symbolizes his internal rise above adversity.

He finally learned how to pick himself up again.

Alfred sticking around would've undermined all of that.

Once again, I find myself agreeing with the blender of colors.

The idea was to isolate Bruce emotionally and physically. When that sewer gate closed shut, he was on his own. Alfred had left him and Selina had double crossed him...along with Miranda. The point of Alfred walking away also cemented the idea that Bruce was past his prime. Alfred cares for Bruce and doesn't want him to be demolished. Bruce was placed at the lowest possible ebb so he could rise from that position. Nolan did do a great job with that. My only issue is that the return to Gotham isn't as grandiose as I would've liked. I can't go past TDK Returns' mudhole sequence with the Mutant Leader. But that's just personal preference. I can't deny that Nolan set up a very severe threat with Bane.