Jack on Heath

Started by Paul (ral), Sat, 12 Jul 2008, 13:56

Previous topic - Next topic

That was very gracious of Jack to say. I know the role of the Joker is one that Jack enjoyed playing immensely, and it's definately a sign of sincere respect for Jack to make a comment about Ledger's portrayal such as that.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

The thing is Heath Ledgers performance is fresh, new and exciting. In 20 years time we will see if it endures.
Jacks has lasted 20 years, and I beleive it will last another 20. No one dared attempted the Joker for nearley two decades on film. Thats some record.

To true people are so wrapped in Heath's Joker and what he did to get into the role and act like Jack didn't even try. Jack has said himself that the role of the Joker was on of his top 3 favorites he has ever played and that he just loved the character and the role and is sad that he never got to play it a second time.

Quote from: Sandman on Thu, 31 Jul  2008, 08:12
Jack has said himself that the role of the Joker was on of his top 3 favorites he has ever played and that he just loved the character and the role
Well, so did Heath. He said it was the most fun he had in a role. It is to be expected, it is The Joker.

Quote from: Sandman on Thu, 31 Jul  2008, 08:12
and is sad that he never got to play it a second time.
Yeah, with Burton killing him off and all. Shame Ledger is not with us, too. It is ironic that though he survives in The Dark Knight, the character will not be reprised by the actor again anyway.

The more I think about it, I don't see a problem recasting Heath.

The story is bigger than the actor. The only problem is, since Heath's death he has endeared himself to fans - what actor would want to take that on?

Thu, 31 Jul 2008, 12:15 #24 Last Edit: Thu, 31 Jul 2008, 12:19 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: raleagh on Thu, 31 Jul  2008, 11:42
The more I think about it, I don't see a problem recasting Heath.
I do. Joker doesn't need to be recast. Not in this franchise. The Dark Knight's Joker casts a very long shadow indeed.

Quote from: raleagh on Thu, 31 Jul  2008, 11:42
The only problem is, since Heath's death he has endeared himself to fans - what actor would want to take that on?
Since I regard Ledger's Joker as the best interpretation in ANY medium, somebody very brave indeed. Before I saw the performance, I was more willing to say that the part could be recast... but Ledger's too good.

QuoteYeah, with Burton killing him off and all. Shame Ledger is not with us, too. It is ironic that though he survives in The Dark Knight, the character will not be reprised by the actor again anyway.

That's one of the thing's i didn't like. Jack's Joker was the stuff of legends and he died in the first movie never to return for a second exellent performance it's sad in many way fan's never got to see Jack return and as i said before jack was sad he never got to return to one of his beloved roles.

But no one can be to hard on Burton unlike Nolan who knew he had a sequal one board when he made his first movie, Burton didn't know how well his movie would do esp with most people's interpretation of Batman as "BOOM' and "WHAM" and not the dark film he made. So he didn't want to leave his movie open ended kinda sad now that everyone know's it's a classic

Quote from: Sandman on Fri,  1 Aug  2008, 00:26
QuoteYeah, with Burton killing him off and all. Shame Ledger is not with us, too. It is ironic that though he survives in The Dark Knight, the character will not be reprised by the actor again anyway.

That's one of the thing's i didn't like. Jack's Joker was the stuff of legends and he died in the first movie never to return for a second exellent performance it's sad in many way fan's never got to see Jack return and as i said before jack was sad he never got to return to one of his beloved roles.

I read that Nicholson was going to reprise his role in a dream sequence in one of the films. That would have been cool.

You are right there i often wonder what the dream sequence would have been like. But it's still not as great as having Jack deam up with Burton's Penguin or Catwomen.

To be fair, I think Burton was looking to make a stand alone film and wasn't interested in a franchise.  Killing Joker, in terms of a stand alone film, worked for the story he told.

I think the Joker is one of those characters subject to multiple interpretations.  In looking at the character again from the O'Neil and Engelhardt comics, to The Dark Knight Returns, to the Killing Joke, to the more prankster version of the character in the neutered 50s comics--there's just so much one could take from when translating the character into another medium.

Look at Cesar Romero, Jack Nicholson, Mark Hammil, Heath Ledger, even The Batman (cartoon) had a unique take on him.  It's tough for me to say 'Heath was better,' as they played two entirely different kind of characters, in somewhat different genres.

I do think Heath gave a performance of a lifetime, and whoever touches the character next has a whole lot to live up to. 

As for the comment?  Very class, Jack.  Very classy.

I think heath was great but ultimately I think Jack gets the nod and here's why;

-Jack had the look far more down pat (not heaths fault); hair and makeup looked more similar as did Jacks purple
-Jack had more prop gadgets which are a trademark of the Joker. I know it wasn't heavily influenced by comics but him frying someone with the handshake buzzer is classic Joker.
-Jacks motives were clearer; I still don't know is Heaths joker a master planner or an agent of random chaos? You'd think it would take quite a bit of planning to blow up a hospital or highjack two key boats or have dent and rachel kidnapped simutaneously.
-Jack played the character truer to 'the clown prince of crime'. Some people are afraid of clowns, the joker is supposed to extrapolate this fear. The only time the Joker gave the persona of a clown was in the mob meeting scene.
-the laughter; heaths laugh seemed far more random as though there was a quota in place as how often he had to do it. Jack did it at the appropriate time; while he is doing something gruesome
-the vulnerability factor. Other than when he takes steroids to do so, the Joker is not a physical threat; he rarely fights unless he has weapons or it's part of a plan and when he does he gets taken down easily; killing people with his bare hands or hand knives isn't overly part of the character unless they're tied up/cuffed or being held.