Gotham (Fox)

Started by BatmAngelus, Wed, 25 Sep 2013, 01:37

Previous topic - Next topic
http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/commissioner-gordon-fox-tv-series-drama/

Wasn't sure where to post this.  Since the Man of Steel sequel will show the next incarnation of Batman, I thought this would be the most appropriate place for now since this could be the next incarnation of Gordon:
QuoteIn one of the biggest drama deals this season, after a bidding war, Fox has landed Gotham, from Warner Bros. TV and The Mentalist creator Bruno Heller, with a series commitment. For Gotham, Warner Bros TV is mining one of DC Comics' most popular character universes, Batman. It explores the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon and the villains that made Gotham famous. In Gotham, Gordon is still a detective with the Gotham City Police Department and is yet to meet Batman who will not be part of the series.

That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Interesting!

Could we get getting something like the O'Neil / Giordano / Janson short series "Gotham of Gordon" or "Gotham Central" from Brubaker / Rucka / Lark? Either way there is plenty of rich source material to choose from.

It seems like a pity to have such a definite exclusion of Batman. With a confirmed film casting, how cool would it be to have Ben Affleck's Batman bookend the series! Even if it was a shadowy over the shoulder shot that only required a voice-over from Affleck.

What does this deal between WB and Fox also mean for the Bill Dozier / Adam West Batman series?

this sounds cool. only problem is fox series only last like two episodes before they cancel lol.

A "Gotham" series without Batman? I feel cheated...

I have to say I've never cared for superhero tv shows. Because you always get the same concept of what this show shall be: a Batman universe set series WITHOUT Batman. They always feel short changed compared to movies.

The Incredible Hulk starring Bill Bixby only ever featured the Hulk himself for a handful of minutes in a hour programme. Lois and Clark focussed on the alter ego side of Superman keeping the Man of Steel himself to a minimum. So did Smallville. Even the old cheesey Amazing Spider-Man show lacked the true emotion of Peter Parker as well as the rogues gallery of villains. The only one I ever truly loved despite it's campiness was Batman. It had it all nevertheless: Batcave, Batmobile, Batcycle, Batcopter, Batboat, Robin, all the classic Bat villains, comic book style colours, sound effect balloons. It felt packed with all the Batman comic traditions with plenty of impressive action later super hero shows took great pains to avoid.

I'm currently dicey about this new Agents of SHIELD show. I gather we won't see hide nor tail of classic Marvel characters like Cap or Iron Man and will instead be treated to a show about a bunch of special agents in suits. Still I'm going to give it a look but I sort of feel I know what to expect. Why can't somebody bring the cinematic thrills down onto our tv screens for a change instead of playing it safe? I'm sure the Gordon series will be a fine show to see, but how much more exciting would it be to bring Batman back in live action on television screens for the first time since Adam West? Concurrently with the movies of course.

If the TV shows did the same thing as the films surely it would dilute the films' appeal.  Not to mention, a one-off TV episode won't have the budget to provide the same cinematic spectacle a movie like 'The Avengers' or 'The Dark Knight Rises' can provide.

I'm no fan of Fox but on the other hand, I dislike the CW's hackneyed and bland teen-orientated style for shows like 'Green Arrow' so I welcome this news to some degree.  It's not a bad concept although I hope by focusing on Gordon and his team (including hopefully, Rene Montoya, Harvey Bullock, Crispus Allen and Jim Corrigan, characters we have unfortunately not yet seen in the films) the show doesn't stint on portraying the more fantastical, USP comic-book world of Gotham City particularly in terms of the villains.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

...if only the three letters were "HBO" and not "Fox"...

QuoteI'm no fan of Fox but on the other hand, I dislike the CW's hackneyed and bland teen-orientated style for shows like 'Green Arrow' so I welcome this news to some degree.  It's not a bad concept although I hope by focusing on Gordon and his team (including hopefully, Rene Montoya, Harvey Bullock, Crispus Allen and Jim Corrigan, characters we have unfortunately not yet seen in the films) the show doesn't stint on portraying the more fantastical, USP comic-book world of Gotham City particularly in terms of the villains.

TV versions of villains can easily turn from fantastical to farsical. I prefer if the show focuses on the more "grounded" side of Gotham, with police work etc. Personally I like it that Batman was spared Superman's overexposure on TV in the 90s/00s.

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Thu, 26 Sep  2013, 08:58
...if only the three letters were "HBO" and not "Fox"...
Indeed

QuoteTV versions of villains can easily turn from fantastical to farsical. I prefer if the show focuses on the more "grounded" side of Gotham, with police work etc. Personally I like it that Batman was spared Superman's overexposure on TV in the 90s/00s.
Sure, but you need to differentiate the show from the likes of 'NYPD Blue' or whatever the equivalent is at the moment (i.e. 'CSI Whatever' etc).  The really outlandish villains probably wouldn't work but this is still a spin-off from a comic-book and do we need another ultra-sombre and po-faced Gotham City so soon after 'The Dark Knight' trilogy?

No Batman I can accept, but no escapism or fantasy either and I'd probably feel a little cheated.

Might be interesting if they have a heavy focus on the villains. The new SHIELD show is basically the avengers without the avengers. There's dozens of cop shows out there, having one focusing on Gordon; an idealist among the corrupt might not be a bad thing.

Plus just because there's no Batman doesn't mean the Wayne's can't be featured. Think Batman Begins Begins (but hopefully without all the Nolanism).

Quote from: riddler on Thu, 26 Sep  2013, 13:38
Might be interesting if they have a heavy focus on the villains. The new SHIELD show is basically the avengers without the avengers. There's dozens of cop shows out there, having one focusing on Gordon; an idealist among the corrupt might not be a bad thing.

Plus just because there's no Batman doesn't mean the Wayne's can't be featured. Think Batman Begins Begins (but hopefully without all the Nolanism).
Do you think the show should deal exclusively with the early days of Gordon's career or would a flashback structure dealing incorporating a strand featuring young Gordon, and a 'present-day' strand would be the best way to go?  Alternatively, should it just deal with Gordon in the present?

I'd like some of the 'Batman: Year One' stuff featuring a corrupt (rather than merely inept, ala 'Batman Begins') Commissioner Loeb and a more physically imposing Detective Flass but I also hope we don't have to wait too long to see Bullock, Montoya and the other key team-members of 'Gotham City Police Department'.

Bearing in mind the wealth of supporting characters, particularly cops and other officials like Mayors Hill and Marion Grange, this could be a real kick-ass show to look forward to.  Gordon's family and affair could and should be covered as should the revolving door of District Attorneys including Dent and Janet Porter, and the various crime families and serial killers that plague the force, like the extended Falcone family and the Holiday Killer.