Comic Creators Comment on Batman Movies

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 16 Aug 2013, 19:25

Previous topic - Next topic
Could the title be changed to "creators comment on the Batman movies" or something.

Done. Sorry, I should've changed the title ages ago. I think somebody else suggested it once, but I never got around to it.

This isn't a comic creator response, but here's what Michael Shannon had to say when asked who'd win the titular battle in the new movie:

QuoteI'm so utterly unconcerned with the outcome of that fight. So profoundly, utterly unconcerned. I can't even come up with a fake answer. I guess I have to root for Superman because he killed me, so I would hope that he would continue his killing spree and become like a serial killer Superman. That's a new take on Superman. We'd all be in a heap of trouble if Superman was a serial killer. He could just wipe us all out. But then he'd be lonely.
http://www.vulture.com/2016/03/batman-superman-who-would-win.html?mid=twitter_vulture

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri,  8 Apr  2016, 18:01
This isn't a comic creator response, but here's what Michael Shannon had to say when asked who'd win the titular battle in the new movie:

QuoteI'm so utterly unconcerned with the outcome of that fight. So profoundly, utterly unconcerned. I can't even come up with a fake answer. I guess I have to root for Superman because he killed me, so I would hope that he would continue his killing spree and become like a serial killer Superman. That's a new take on Superman. We'd all be in a heap of trouble if Superman was a serial killer. He could just wipe us all out. But then he'd be lonely.
http://www.vulture.com/2016/03/batman-superman-who-would-win.html?mid=twitter_vulture

His total apathy cracks me up!
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Spending an eternity in Punxsutawney will do that to a man.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri,  8 Apr  2016, 18:40
Spending an eternity in Punxsutawney will do that to a man.

Mind = blown!
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Mindy Newell (author of Catwoman: Her Sister's Keeper) has written a scathing article about the characterisation of Batman in the new film. It sounds like she hasn't actually seen the movie, but still has some harsh views on it. I won't post the whole thing as it contains some political digressions and strong language, but those interested can read it here: http://www.comicmix.com/2016/04/11/mindy-newell-its-really-cool/

A longer quote from John Byrne regarding Batman 66, the Burton Batman and Batman Begins:

QuoteWhat did you think about the various incarnations of Batman in the movies and on TV?

JB: I've made no secret of how completely enamored I am of "Batman Begins". The rubber suit is still a distraction, but the guy living inside it is a Batman I know. I have been reading this guy's adventures for years. And, true, he never baked a giant birthday cake (so far as we know!), but he does smile. In fact, the single moment that won me over, in the trailer, was the twinkle in Bruce's eye as he asks "Does it come in black?"

That's Batman!

The four non-Adam West BATMAN films were not about Batman, tho the first was pretty good in its own right. Consider Keaton's Batman: the armored suit was, of course, not his choice, but right away we are presented with a character we have never seen in the comics (unless, perhaps, we invoke the "inflato-Batman" suit occasionally worn by Robin). Machine guns mounted on the Batmobile were not Keaton's doing, either, but they belong to no Batman we have seen since the earliest days of his publishing history -- a there a Batman who vanished completely within the first two years.

What about Bruce Wayne, then? Minor detail -- when has Bruce ever worn glasses? Major detail -- when has Bruce ever been the assemblage of ticks and mannerisms Keaton brought to the roll?

It is an actor's prerogative to bring his own insights to a performance, but he must begin with the established character. Playing Hamlet in a clown nose and fright wig might get people paying attention, but it would add nothing to the character.

The Adam West Batman movie WAS about Batman, but. . . . well, you know.

A TV show is a TV show is a TV show -- it exists on its own merits (or lack thereof), and really should not have any effect on the comic(s) from which it is derived. The greatest sin of the "Batman" series was that it planted ZAP! POW! BAM! apparently forever in the minds of journalists whose idea of originality is to crib what the last guy wrote.

Beyond that, I will say that the Adam West show was more faithful to the underlying structure of the comic than anything until the "recent" animated series. Batman and Robin were at least good at what they did, and Batman was a great detective --something Tim Burton should have paid a wee bit more attention to!

In my opinion, I don't think that Tim Burton forgot the detective aspect in the first movie. Batman solves very cleverly the Joker poison mystery and do some detective research on Jack Napier=the joker.

JB: Unless there is a "director's cut" floating around that I am unaware of, I don't recall Batman doing much in the way of detective work in the Tim Burton movies. He spends a lot of time letting his computers sort things out for him, and he makes a couple of guesses that don't really spring from any logic. Nothing that requires him using detective skills tho -- especially not the Napier/Joker connection.

There he simply Recognizes the guy.
http://www.byrnerobotics.com/FAQ/listing.asp?ID=4&T1=Byrnisms%3A+opinions+and+observations+of+JB#75

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 26 Apr  2016, 13:07
A longer quote from John Byrne regarding Batman 66, the Burton Batman and Batman Begins:

QuoteIn my opinion, I don't think that Tim Burton forgot the detective aspect in the first movie. Batman solves very cleverly the Joker poison mystery and do some detective research on Jack Napier=the joker.
http://www.byrnerobotics.com/FAQ/listing.asp?ID=4&T1=Byrnisms%3A+opinions+and+observations+of+JB#75
I want to say that Bruce asks Alfred to get files on things and Alfred does, which isn't really detective work, I'd say. The other stuff is about as much as any other Batman does. Though I do think in Batman Begins, Bruce does more, or at least as much, as other versions. Have a very great day!

God bless you! God bless everyone!

In Batman '89 it is clearly implied that Bruce tested the various chemical products The Joker had poisoned to determine which mixtures were in fact toxic.  That strikes me as far more sophisticated detective work, albeit of a forensic/scientific nature, than anything undertaken by Bruce in the other various Batman movies.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue, 26 Apr  2016, 19:16In Batman '89 it is clearly implied that Bruce tested the various chemical products The Joker had poisoned to determine which mixtures were in fact toxic.  That strikes me as far more sophisticated detective work, albeit of a forensic/scientific nature, than anything undertaken by Bruce in the other various Batman movies.
Not really. A different kind, yes. But not something better really, if that's what you're trying to say. Though I haven't thought that scientific examination is something that I'd count specifically as detective work perse. Have a very great day!

God bless you! God bless everyone!