Has Batman & Robin finally found acceptance with modern audiences?

Started by Wayne49, Mon, 23 Jun 2014, 12:19

Previous topic - Next topic
Throughout my life, I've watched many a theatrical miscue in Hollywood find it's audience long after the critical spotlight has left the subject and new generations have had their chance to watch these movies without any preconceived notions.  Although B&R has had to climb a much steeper hill, I've noticed younger generations carry less criticism for the film than fans who sat in theaters back in 1997. And with the modern character immersed so deeply in dark themes, could it be that audiences are beginning to forgive Schumacher for this lighthearted approach? As a treatment, Batman tends to sway from one extreme to the next if you examine his commercial highs and lows. And typically that swing is gauged by audience reaction to a specific tone. If Snyder's Batman hinges too much on a dark and cynical tone, could audiences finally be done with this overreaction to the 1997 installment and desire a lighter version that reflects something similar to what Schumacher was trying to achieve?

I also wish that the lighter Batman would become accepted by audiences. I love dark Batman, but I love Light Batman also. Batman & Robin wasn't a very good movie, but that doesn't mean that light Batman can't be done right and be entertaining.

After 3 straight films of the ultra serious/grounded Nolan films, Batman and Robin can be perceived as a change of pace: it's not smart but it's entertaining and a popcorn flick.

If they keep cranking out Batman films, some day they will be classified into categories much like the Bond films; this one will likely be in the campy category with the Adam West film. Though I'm unsure if they will attempt to recreate that again. By now they know the darker films are more successful and better perceived.

Quote from: Wayne49 on Mon, 23 Jun  2014, 12:19
Throughout my life, I've watched many a theatrical miscue in Hollywood find it's audience long after the critical spotlight has left the subject and new generations have had their chance to watch these movies without any preconceived notions.  Although B&R has had to climb a much steeper hill, I've noticed younger generations carry less criticism for the film than fans who sat in theaters back in 1997. And with the modern character immersed so deeply in dark themes, could it be that audiences are beginning to forgive Schumacher for this lighthearted approach? As a treatment, Batman tends to sway from one extreme to the next if you examine his commercial highs and lows.

I think the issue is it's not just lighthearted (that was the case with BF which has and really deserves people arguing it's underrated), it's pretty self-mocking.

Quote from: Andrew on Thu,  2 Nov  2017, 18:13
Quote from: Wayne49 on Mon, 23 Jun  2014, 12:19
Throughout my life, I've watched many a theatrical miscue in Hollywood find it's audience long after the critical spotlight has left the subject and new generations have had their chance to watch these movies without any preconceived notions.  Although B&R has had to climb a much steeper hill, I've noticed younger generations carry less criticism for the film than fans who sat in theaters back in 1997. And with the modern character immersed so deeply in dark themes, could it be that audiences are beginning to forgive Schumacher for this lighthearted approach? As a treatment, Batman tends to sway from one extreme to the next if you examine his commercial highs and lows.

I think the issue is it's not just lighthearted (that was the case with BF which really deserves people arguing it's underrated), it's pretty self-mocking.

A movie tends to be hated the most when it is released. Decades later, most people don't take into account the reviews, negative jibber jabber, what your friends say, all that noise you hear upon release, that's just gone, and you're left with just the film.

Although, to be honest, I am not sure if I have ever hated Batman & Robin with the same aggressive passion a lot of people did, the way I do most Michael Bay movies.