More defense of Schumacher's films (video)

Started by DocLathropBrown, Sun, 4 Aug 2013, 22:00

Previous topic - Next topic
This is becoming a movement....!

Warning for language.

Also, another guy's defense (in two parts) for those who haven't seen them (again warning for language, I think):

"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

A movement I refuse to be a part of.  The moment people start equating the Schumacher films to anything Burton or Nolan did I tune out.  Schumacher was interested in selling toys not making films.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

^ I'll take a thousand Batman Forevers over one TDK any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  5 Aug  2013, 00:15
^ I'll take a thousand Batman Forevers over one TDK any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Me too. There's more stuff in BF that matches up with my sensibilities.

I've said it before, but if they included those deleted scenes in BF for a director's cut edition, I'd really sit up and take notice.

As long as no one here is saying that the Schumacher films are as good as the Burton ones...

I don't think anyone is saying that, but if they were, that's their right.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  5 Aug  2013, 00:20
I don't think anyone is saying that, but if they were, that's their right.
Of course it is but it just irritates me.  What I love about this site is that it's primarily a celebration of the Burton Batman films.  There are plenty of other places on the net where people are arguing that 'Batman & Robin' is better than 'Batman' and 'Batman Returns' and whilst I have to assume that some of those people are genuine I also seriously suspect some of those people have an anti-Burton agenda.  Maybe that makes me paranoid or elitist or whatever but I honestly think 'Batman & Robin' is a borderline travesty, and although I enjoy it on its own terms I cannot see why anyone would prefer it to the Burton Batman films.

Mon, 5 Aug 2013, 00:36 #7 Last Edit: Mon, 5 Aug 2013, 00:38 by DocLathropBrown
I think they were absolutely as good as Tim's, just in a different way. Joel wasn't going for a gothic fairy tale take. He was going for a pop comic stying. Apples and oranges, much in the way Nolan and Burton are unto themselves. B&R is heavily flawed, yes... but 'good' is in the eye of the beholder.

And it was Warner Bros. that wanted his films to be 'toyetic.' In Joel, WB realized they had a man who even though he has artistic vision, he won't fight the studio on their wishes when he's signed a contract. That's why they liked him as a choice.

Gobbs, you seriously should look into more of Joel's filmography---Generally he's made nothing but exceptional (and even dark/nihilistic) films, such as Falling Down, Trespass, Blood Creek, The Number 23, Phone Booth, 8MM, etc.... His Batman flicks are actually the odd set out, and what does that tell you? It was all WB, baby.

BF is Joel when he's left alone. B&R is Joel when he's thrown his hands up and says "you want me to make a toy commercial? You'll get a toy commercial!" And yet still he tries to have real ideas squeezed in there.

And I'll echo the stated sentiment: Joel's movies mop the floor with Nolan's. No contest. The only difference is one set is more serious than the other--quality is relative.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Mon, 5 Aug 2013, 00:49 #8 Last Edit: Mon, 5 Aug 2013, 00:52 by BatmanFanatic93
Well i'm both a tim burton & joel schumacher fan & i love their work both equally despite what people say about ether tim or joel & their minor flaws not only that but i would defend ether films & directors if a hater or anti-fan disses them cause they're not in their taste or wose not really batman films (cause batman kills) i know they have a voice & free to speak how they feel but there are some parts in life where you have to stand up & defend what you love cause these films are the ones that got me into batman & if it weren't for the movies i would've never been a batman fan like i am today.
You ether die a trilogy or live long enough to see yourself become batman & robin

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Mon,  5 Aug  2013, 00:36
Gobbs, you seriously should look into more of Joel's filmography---Generally he's made nothing but exceptional (and even dark/nihilistic) films, such as Falling Down, Trespass, Blood Creek, The Number 23, Phone Booth, 8MM, etc.... His Batman flicks are actually the odd set out, and what does that tell you? It was all WB, baby.
If you've seen some of my posts on other threads you'll know that I am an admirer of a lot of Schumacher's 80s/90s work including 'The Lost Boys', 'Flatliners', 'Falling Down', his John Grisham adaptations and even the campily fun 'classic' 'St. Elmo's Fire'.  He also made great work post-Batman with 'Tigerland' and 'Phone Booth' although he seems to have disappeared off the radar lately (although I'd be interested to read your opinions on 'Trespass' and 'Blood Creek').  It's precisely because Schumacher was capable of making a genuinely dark but still visually arresting Batman that his two frankly sub-par efforts are all the more frustrating.  They're both watchable but for me a huge let-down after the first two superlative and today rather underrated Burton-directed Batman movies.