Batman Beyond

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 17 Jul 2013, 06:13

Previous topic - Next topic
How do you feel about this series? I loved it, especially the first season. I really liked the dynamic between Bruce and Terry, Bruce and Barbara, Barbara and Terry. Melanie Walker is also one of my favorite animated characters of all time, the future's answer to Selina Kyle.

Some good vilains were also introduced here, like Blight and Shriek. The episode with Mr Freeze being revived is easily on par with Batman TAS IMO.

Happy 20th anniversary to Batman Beyond! The first episode aired on January 10th 1999, and I'm still watching the series in January 2019. Here's some fan art to mark the occasion.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 10 Jan  2019, 19:43
Happy 20th anniversary to Batman Beyond!

Good God I feel old.

Great art though. Great show too.

It's interesting how the Batman Beyond concept really has stuck. It's part of Batman's lexicon now. It's Imaginary Story-tier canonically. But it still has validity to it even after all these years.

To me, that's the mark of a creatively successful idea.

Happy anniversary!

It's a great show/great concept. It makes a lot of sense. Bruce is too old to fight crime himself, but even so, the war goes on. He can still mentor a younger replacement and monitor the streets via the cave. I need to rewatch it one of these days.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 11 Jan  2019, 00:39
It's a great show/great concept. It makes a lot of sense. Bruce is too old to fight crime himself, but even so, the war goes on. He can still mentor a younger replacement and monitor the streets via the cave. I need to rewatch it one of these days.
It holds up, bro. I did a full rewatch last year, maybe around the mid or late summer. Some episodes are kind of rough, I'll admit. But mostly they're pretty solid.

To me, the show's finale is Return Of The Joker. There was some JLU bull crap which I choose to ignore because it's stupidly stupid and totally stupid.

It's stupid.

But everything else? Totally awesome.

I assume you mean "Epilogue." Why is it "stupidly stupid and totally stupid?" Warren McGinnis', as Bruce Timm put it in an interview I read, "love gun firing Bruce Wayne bullets?" It's a twist but the way Waller explains it, it makes sense how and why, especially following up the first two seasons of JLU where nanite technology played a big role. But it's everyone's own prerogative as to whether they want to accept that as a good storyline I suppose.

The first time I watched it I was like "Um...okay?" The second time, especially after reading the black and white scenes weren't flashbacks but instead Terry's predictions of how things were going to play out now that he knew, it was FAR more coherent and I wound up loving it. And not just the Bruce/Terry story. Waller's flashback to Bruce and Ace was one of the most heart wrenching scenes of the entire DCAU. Speaking of hearts, I appreciated that Waller apparently had grown one lol. There was a hint of it at the end of the Task Force X epi when she talks to Rick Flagg, but still.

Quote from: Catwoman on Fri, 11 Jan  2019, 03:44
I assume you mean "Epilogue." Why is it "stupidly stupid and totally stupid?" Warren McGinnis', as Bruce Timm put it in an interview I read, "love gun firing Bruce Wayne bullets?" It's a twist but the way Waller explains it, it makes sense how and why, especially following up the first two seasons of JLU where nanite technology played a big role. But it's everyone's own prerogative as to whether they want to accept that as a good storyline I suppose.

The first time I watched it I was like "Um...okay?" The second time, especially after reading the black and white scenes weren't flashbacks but instead Terry's predictions of how things were going to play out now that he knew, it was FAR more coherent and I wound up loving it. And not just the Bruce/Terry story. Waller's flashback to Bruce and Ace was one of the most heart wrenching scenes of the entire DCAU. Speaking of hearts, I appreciated that Waller apparently had grown one lol. There was a hint of it at the end of the Task Force X epi when she talks to Rick Flagg, but still.
The series presents Terry as a troubled youth trying to get his life in some kind of order. He has strained relations with his family but he still understands right from wrong. He has a conscience.

Bruce's conscience somewhat failed him in his final case. He retired from life in general because of the Vreeland kidnapping.

Somehow, by a quirk of fate, these two lost souls found each other and discovered that each is the other's missing piece. Terry can physically be what Bruce no longer can. Bruce can offer Terry guidance and mentoring. At least initially, the two are incomplete as Batman without each other.

It was a random twist of fate that brought them together... but not really. Actually, it was mostly Amanda Waller's machinations. She decided on her own and contrary to every bit of evidence available to her that, dang it, Gotham City needs some kind of Batman and it became her self-assigned task to create a successor.

I couldn't care less what Bruce Timm's viewpoint on this might be. This was a repudiation of what the series was originally premised upon. The idiotic family connection was forced and entirely unnecessary.

It was stupid. It was stupidly stupid.

Fair enough. By the way, I didn't expect you to care one way or another about what Bruce Timm's viewpoint was. If you actually read the part where he's mentioned you'll see that I didn't include one iota of anything about what he thought one way or another, just his phrasing for how the whole thing worked because I thought it was an amusing line. Thanks.