Madness

Started by johnnygobbs, Tue, 16 Jul 2013, 18:35

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Wed, 17 Jul  2013, 04:29
Scarecrow even acted like he was nuts at the end from his gas, going so far as to renounce the Jonathan Crane identity to Rachel and then at the beginning of TDK, he's completely back to normal!
That always bothered how Crane seems to recover from his fear gas. I guess it's just one more plothole but then again what's one more plothole?

Quote from: Vampfox on Sat,  3 Aug  2013, 07:16
Scarecrow even acted like he was nuts at the end from his gas, going so far as to renounce the Jonathan Crane identity to Rachel and then at the beginning of TDK, he's completely back to normal!
That always bothered how Crane seems to recover from his fear gas. I guess it's just one more plothole but then again what's one more plothole?
That never bothered me about the Scarecrow because I never thought he had any character development to begin with. I never understood what people saw in that character in the Nolan movies; he hardly ever appears on screen and when does appear, he doesn't do much. All of his hallucination scenes are just as choppy and incoherent as Batman's fight scenes in BB. Scarecrow would poison someone at first, and then you get to see his face from the victim's hallucinated point for a second and then...the scene finishes like that. The tension is killed before it could even begin. I used to reason my disappointment in the Scarecrow in these films by saying I've never cared too much for Cillian Murphy as an actor, but now I've realized that even a better actor still couldn't do much because the character never evolves from being a plot device. He's nothing more but an explanation for what purpose does the fear gas serve in the plot for BB.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

The thing is that BB feels so different than the other two, I seriously think Nolan didn't want to make any more than the first one... I really do. I have nothing to back it up, but tonally, Begins feels like a stripped-down serious take (kind of like "Year One"), that doesn't betray a possibly more comic-y/bold world beyond. TDK is where the series dropped the ball completely for me asthetically. TDK verged into way overtly more Michael Mann territory than BB did. The very end of BB even talked about "escalation." So much of BB was built on the idea of theatricality that Ledger's approach to the Joker really shocked me because everything in BB's tone/asthetic hinted we could go bolder. I expected something more like the comics in the films to follow.

Things like the Scarecrow having an actual costume at the end (even if it wasn't the comic one) and his fear gas portraying him on a horse shooting fire and stuff, yeah it was the fear gas, but it was crazier than anything we'd see later on. I honestly get the vibe from the change in tone between films was Nolan deciding "I have re-imagine this MY way to keep my own interest up." Sort of like Tim on Batman Returns, ironically. I mean, Scarecrow even acted like he was nuts at the end from his gas, going so far as to renounce the Jonathan Crane identity to Rachel and then at the beginning of TDK, he's completely back to normal!  ???

The Narrows are an actual area of Gotham from the books, and it required actual production design instead of just being "Chicago." Begins seemed to have a real effort behind it to capture something of the tone of the comics, just stripped down. TDK and beyond just felt like Nolan trying to reinvent for himself, hence why from that film on he stopped doing villains that hadn't been featured before (Talia hardly counts), as if he had an agenda to touch what had been done already.

Word. Batman Begins alongside 1989 are by far the most "Batman" films of the entire series. I'm glad I've seen others expressing a similar opinion, in other forums too.

Quote from: Vampfox on Sat,  3 Aug  2013, 07:16
Who says he recovers?