Robin

Started by Edd Grayson, Fri, 12 Jul 2013, 03:41

Previous topic - Next topic
What does everyone feel about him and about the fact that he was absent from the Burton and Nolan Batfilms?

My favorite Robin remains Dick Grayson and my favorite Robin actor is Burt Ward (though I like the animated Robin a lot, and Chris O'Donnell wasn't all that bad either)

A solo Batman movie can be any of a number of different things. You can take a lot of approaches. The minute you throw Robin into the mix though, it becomes very specifically a comic book. Sadly, there's a breed of director out there who still isn't comfortable with the idea of doing that genre. The lack of Robin in Burton's movies can be explained away easily enough but his absence from Nolan's movies was one of two key signs for me that maybe Nolan shouldn't direct these types of films (the other being Christian Bale credited only as "Bruce Wayne" in TDK and TDKRises).

There's an argument that Robin just doesn't work on film. I think we should wait for someone else to actually attempt it before we make that judgment. Sure, there are certain situations a young Robin can't be in without facing a PG-13 rating... but does a PG-13 rating really stop anybody from seeing stuff anymore? I doubt it. Whatever comes next, it'd be welcome if they include Robin in some form or another.

He worked well enough for me in Batman Forever and Batman:the Movie.

He wasn't in it a lot but Arkham City portrayed him well. I think he has a bad rap in live action because aside from Batman Forever, every incarnation of him was silly.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Fri, 12 Jul  2013, 03:41
What does everyone feel about him and about the fact that he was absent from the Burton and Nolan Batfilms?

My favorite Robin remains Dick Grayson and my favorite Robin actor is Burt Ward (though I like the animated Robin a lot, and Chris O'Donnell wasn't all that bad either)
I like to see Batman established as a lone vigilante before Robin is added to the mix so I didn't have any problems with his absence throughout the Burton and Nolan Batman movies, Edd.

I don't hate Robin but I just like to have some time spent on Batman working alone before companions, such as Robin, Nightwing and Batgirl are introduced.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Wasn't there a rumour about Nightwing being mentioned in Batman v Superman?

I like Batman being established first too but the problem is that in the recent films Robin or Batgirl were never added... and it doesn't look like they'll be present in the new movies either.  :-\

I prefer solo Batman, but do see value in Robin. I think he worked excellently in the 60s show and BTAS. I like the fatherly role Bruce plays with Dick, most of all.

"Baby on board, something, something......Burt Ward!"  ;D One of my favourite jokes in The Simpsons (Matt Groening is apparently a big Batman tv show fan) in which Homer writes a nonsensical lyric seen in the "B-Sharps" barbershop quartet episode.

I think they were right to not have Robin at first in the original movies. Nevertheless it did drive me crazy as a kid wondering just where the hell he was. Any kind of Batman story, comic, animation or movie increases in excitement for me when Robin is part of it. I think it's just as simple a thing as the "team dynamic".

I think we forget now (deliberately in some ways it must be said) how big a deal it was when he finally arrived in the third movie. It was absolutely the right time to do it. He and The Riddler took it to a whole new interest level for an audience. Just doing another similar solo Batman simply would not have done. Myself and my dad enjoyed the finale of Batman Forever for the thrill of seeing a little bit of Adam West and Burt Ward being brought back to life (how we both were overjoyed by the "Holy Rusted Metal.." line). I don't see that as a mistake or a problem.

Batman Forever is unusual to me in that it starts out structurally as a traditional Batman picture. Fans displeased at Robin's prescence forget he doesn't actually arrive until the final battle. But when that finally kicked in the movie rocketed onto a whole new level of excitement for me as a seven year old in the summer of 95'.

I agree. I really like the fatherly role Bruce plays with Dick, I loved Robin's Reckoning in Batman TAS and I thought they did a decent job with him in Batman Forever. I though "Holy rusted metal, Batman!" was quite funny.  ;D

When I think of Batman as a character, his partnership and relationship with Robin is one of the first things that comes to mind. I love them as team and I also feel more excitement when Robin is present.

Fri, 23 May 2014, 14:42 #9 Last Edit: Tue, 27 May 2014, 15:14 by riddler
Yeah he was wildly popular in th 1995 film both before and after. The planned title for the fourth film was "Batman Triumphant" but changed due to the popularity of Robin.