Batman: Arkham Origins

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 9 Apr 2013, 16:19

Previous topic - Next topic
There does seem to be mob vibe with the game, possibly doing the whole 'before the freaks took over' angle. Which makes me wonder in what capacity Arkham Island is being used.

It will be interesting to see just how raw they make this Batman, in comparison to AA and AC.

Wed, 24 Apr 2013, 04:30 #11 Last Edit: Wed, 24 Apr 2013, 04:48 by The Laughing Fish
Batman: Arkham Origins Will Have Multiplayer, Sources Say

The newest Batman game will have a multiplayer mode, we've heard from two independent sources. Batman: Arkham Origins, a prequel announced earlier this month, will be the third game in the Arkham series, and the first to have any sort of multiplayer.

We've also heard details about at least one multiplayer mode from a tipster, although we haven't been able to confirm them.

In early March, before Origins rumours started swirling, we heard from a tipster who claimed to have details about the Dark Knight's newest game. The game would be called "Batman Origins," he claimed, and the box cover would have a snowy, Christmas-themed background. We couldn't verify any of the information he gave us, so we sat on it.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, Game Informer revealed their cover for the April issue of their magazine. It's Batman: Arkham Origins, and the cover is indeed full of snow. The game is set during Christmas Eve.

Our tipster had also shared some details about multiplayer in Arkham Origins, so we reached out to a number of industry sources for confirmation. Although we were unable to corroborate the specifics, we did confirm with a second source that the game will indeed have multiplayer. (Warner Bros declined to comment for this story.)

As for the details, according to our tipster: during at least one section of multiplayer, you play as a member of Joker or Bane's gang while trying to take down Batman and Robin. The villains involved — who may be playable and customisable — include Killer Croc, Deadshot, Firefly, Black Mask, Deathstroke, and "some kind of Electroman character," our tipster said. (Maybe Electrocutioner?)

That's all unconfirmed, but we feel comfortable sharing it, since our tipster was spot-on about the name and cover. This could be one multiplayer mode, or it could be the only one. We don't know. We'll find out more later this year.

Warner Bros has shown interest in Batman-themed multiplayer before: Gotham City Impostors, a downloadable game that came out last year for PC and consoles, was a multiplayer shooter where players dressed up as fake Batmans and Jokers to duel online. This is the first Arkham game developed by a new studio: WB Montreal will develop Origins, taking the bat-mantle from the London-based Rocksteady Studios.

Batman: Arkham Origins is out October 25 for PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U and PC.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/04/batman-arkham-origins-will-have-multiplayer-sources-say/
I never cared about playing mutiplayer, but the prospect of playing villains does sound interesting.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Tons of new Batman: Arkham Origins Details, Kevin Conroy won't reprise his role
It has been officially confirmed via (South African publication, NAG) that Kevin Conroy won't reprise his role in Batman: Arkham Origins. However name of the new voice actor was not revealed.
Source: http://www.gamepur.com/news/10939-tons-new-batman-arkham-origins-details-kevin-conroy-wont-reprise-his-role.html
Disappointing to hear that Conroy won't be voicing again if this is true. I wonder who they'll replace him with? I'd like to hear Bruce Greenwood again.
From Videogamer:

• Batman is impulsive, overconfident as he still has to encounter an opponent on par with his strength. He is clever but does not think of everything, for example when interrogating a thug he can be dominated by violence and stun the thug before getting the information he wanted. The major difficulties he will have to deal with in the game will have a strong impact on his psychology and will make him change to the more realist and stoic Batman from the previous games.
  • Rupert Thorne is mentioned (as well as Falcone)
  • Some of the 8 assassins will be side missions, and we will not be finished with them from the first encounter.
  • Unlocking location for the Batwing is a whole side mission : an unknown hacker has jammed the radio system and Batman needs to restore it.
  • New combat move : Batman can rush toward an enemy while knocking another one on his path.
  • Freeze boss fight from Arkham City is the main model for Origins boss fights.
Source: http://www.gamepur.com/news/10939-tons-new-batman-arkham-origins-details-kevin-conroy-wont-reprise-his-role.html
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Greenwood would be a good replacement.  He was solid in Under the Red Hood.  But I have a feeling it'll be someone younger.

As long as it's not Year One's Ben McKenzie...  ;)
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

No Conroy? That's majorly disappointing.

The game'll still probably be awesome though. But the lack of Conroy won't instill the fickle fans (ie: all of them predicting doom for Origins) with confidence.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

QuoteGreenwood would be a good replacement.  He was solid in Under the Red Hood.  But I have a feeling it'll be someone younger.

Greenwood's a terrific Batman, both in Under the Red Hood and the Young Justice TV show. I'd love it if they could get him back for this game.

And I don't know if it's just me, but I think he looked a little bit like Michael Keaton back when he was younger. It's not a really striking similarity or anything, but I've definitely noticed a vague likeness around the lower half of their faces. Does anyone else see it?

If he wore the cowl, I reckon he'd look a lot like Keaton's Batman.

^ I can see it.  Would've been interesting to see him take on the cowl back then, if things had gone differently.  Give him a haircut and he's got a nice look for Bruce Wayne.  And his vocal performances prove he would've done a good Bat voice.  I still remember his self-criticizing "Stupid!  And careless" moment in Under The Red Hood and thinking, "Yep.  That's how Bruce would say that.

QuoteBut the lack of Conroy won't instill the fickle fans (ie: all of them predicting doom for Origins) with confidence.
Tell me about it.  Seems like every animated Batman who isn't Conroy gets treated with disdain.  Whenever a clip gets posted of, say, Peter Weller in TDKR or Greenwood in Under The Red Hood, there's bound to be a "This guy sucks.  Bring back Conroy" comment.

I love Conroy as much as the next guy, but it gets ridiculous.  We've had a ton of great Batman voices since Conroy's time in B:TAS (really, the only one that's bothered me is McKenzie in Year One) and we'll continue to get more in the future.

(The above also applies to Hamill and Joker).
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

QuoteI love Conroy as much as the next guy, but it gets ridiculous.  We've had a ton of great Batman voices since Conroy's time in B:TAS (really, the only one that's bothered me is McKenzie in Year One) and we'll continue to get more in the future.

(The above also applies to Hamill and Joker).

Reminds me of when it was announced John DiMaggio would be voicing Joker in Under the Red Hood and the fans went nuts. They couldn't accept anyone other than Hamill in the role. Which is a shame, because DiMaggio did a great job. I thought his deeper, more gravelly voice was better suited to the way Joker was drawn in that film than Hamill's voice. And that's not a slight against Hamill, who is probably my favourite Joker of all. It's just nice to have a fresh take on these characters from time to time.

The same applies to Greenwood. In my opinion, he and Diedrich Bader have both nailed the role just as well as Conroy did. And looking back on the films/TV shows they starred in, I'm glad we got to hear their fresh takes on the character instead of the familiar Conroy interpretation. Again, that's not a dig at Conroy. Not at all. I think Conroy's a legend. But some people act as though he and Hamill are the only actors to get Batman and the Joker right, and that simply isn't true.

I agree about Ben McKenzie though. He did his best I suppose, but it didn't quite resonate with me. I can't comment on Emerson's Joker because they still haven't released The Dark Knight Returns Part II over here yet. I wish they'd get on with it.  ::)

What's funnier is that these fickle, nostolgia-fueled fanboys forget about the men that have voiced the characters before and after Conroy and Hamill. Before the Arkham games, Hamill and Conroy were on their way out voicing them.

To me, if you throw a tantrum about the idea of another actor playing a role that wasn't their invention (ie: Bill Murray with Peter Venkman), you're not a true fan. The role of Batman and Joker are bigger than any one actor, and they should only be disliked when they do a bad job (I agree with the McKensie grievance). And I personally think that many of these picky people are also Nolanites--they share the same traits that I've noticed, such as a "be-all, end-all" attitude about a take on Batman they like, as opposed to being appreciative of all facets of the franchise.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun, 28 Apr  2013, 18:05
QuoteGreenwood would be a good replacement.  He was solid in Under the Red Hood.  But I have a feeling it'll be someone younger.

Greenwood's a terrific Batman, both in Under the Red Hood and the Young Justice TV show. I'd love it if they could get him back for this game.

And I don't know if it's just me, but I think he looked a little bit like Michael Keaton back when he was younger. It's not a really striking similarity or anything, but I've definitely noticed a vague likeness around the lower half of their faces. Does anyone else see it?

If he wore the cowl, I reckon he'd look a lot like Keaton's Batman.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Bruce Greenwood is just as good as Kevin Conroy, I reckon. And I have no doubt that Greenwood could've challenged Keaton for the live-action portrayal too.