Batman: Arkham Origins

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 9 Apr 2013, 16:19

Previous topic - Next topic
Warner Bros has announced the third entry in the Arkham series will be a prequel focussing on a younger and less experienced Batman. It's scheduled for release on October 25th this year for PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii U. It's being developed by Warner Bros Games Montreal.

They've also announced a handheld game called Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate which will be released for the Nintendo 3DS and PS Vita, also on October 25th. Apparently this one's being developed by some of the people who worked on the Metroid Prime trilogy and is described as a "2.5-D Metroid-style exploration action game".

More details here: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/04/09/batman-arkham-origins-announced

Tue, 9 Apr 2013, 21:17 #2 Last Edit: Tue, 9 Apr 2013, 21:22 by SilentEnigma
10/25, i.e. in 6 months. How long has it been in development, I wonder. A Metroidvania game by people from Retro Studios (they also did Donkey Kong Returns, also 2.5D) sounds fun.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/09/assassinating-batman-in-arkham-origins

Oh, this sounds good. Really, really good!

Love the random crimes, the (basically) full Gotham to explore, also the "Arkham City" area before it becomes so. Totally digging the Christmas Eve angle and the (sounds like) very high focus on detective work!!

Considering Rocksteady consulted on this and gave WB Montreal their full assets and engine, along with Paul Dini not writing it, I'm excruciatingly excited. There's no reason it shouldn't play exactly the same, and they've probably been working on it for over a year, and there's still 6 months to go. Hell, using the exisitng engine saves a lot of time. As long as we have Conroy again and there's unlockable costumes, this'll be the BEST Batman game.

My only irk: Dislike the adjusted character designs a tad. Batman's suit looks more robotic.

I loved AC except for the loss of atmosphere from AA and also the "Bale-ization" of Batman later in the game with him trying to ditch saving lives for Talia. The Batman I know knows his priorities and doesn't have to be reminded. I'm also thrilled that the Joker doesn't appear to be in the game. He's so overused I want him to have a break. Also hope The Riddler is involved, his stuff in AC was my favorite aspect.

Being able to visit Arkham Island would also be cool!

It's gonna be a LOOOONG six months...
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

This is going to have to be awesome to top Arkham City! Can't wait.

I made a gallery here

http://www.batman-online.com/gallery/Video-Games/Batman-Arkham-Origins_2013

feel free to upload new images to it if you can

Wed, 10 Apr 2013, 07:00 #5 Last Edit: Wed, 10 Apr 2013, 07:03 by The Laughing Fish

Best news I've heard all week!  8)

This is what the story includes so far:

• It takes place seven years before Arkham Asylum.
    • Black Mask has put a bounty on Batman's head: will include assassins such as Deathstroke. I thought I saw Deadshot as well in one of the picture though I could be wrong. Penguin is also involved - that "little accident" hadn't happened yet. ;)
    • Gordon is Captain of the GCPD.
    • "Remote claw" allows you to grab two objects together - sounds the same as the double Batclaw function from the first game.
    • "Fast-travel" - travelling around in the Batwing and Batmobile (ALTHOUGH these sound like cut scenes if anything).
    • "Crime in Progress" side missions - helping the police in hunting down lowlifes, and even more emphasis on crime scene investigations. Each case that gets solved includes a video narrative unlocking clues.
    [/list]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_arkham_origins

Can't wait!

QuoteI loved AC except for the loss of atmosphere from AA and also the "Bale-ization" of Batman later in the game with him trying to ditch saving lives for Talia. The Batman I know knows his priorities and doesn't have to be reminded.
    That part didn't bother me - it actually impressed me that Batman loses focus here and there till his supporting cast puts him in place; reminding him of the larger picture. "Batman must save Gotham" sounds far better than "You're not Batman anymore, you have to find your own way". What I find a little crappy about the end, though, is that Batman carries Joker's body out of the theater when it should've been Talia al Ghul. THAT to me came across as Bale-ish. I get that it's symbolic between the rivalry between the two characters, but Batman wasn't going after Talia for nothing, you know,  ::)
    QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Arkham Origins is a very good title. I am really loving the sound of this. The younger Batman should lend a raw, gritty type feel.

The absence of Rocksteady doesn't really bother me if they are using the same engine as the other two games. I'm sure we will see the continuation of the Arkham storyline after AC. Probably saving that up for the next generation consoles.

Twice the size of AC's map. Just wow. Old Gotham - grimier section, and New Gotham, classier skyscrapers. Sounds fantastic, and the chance to see the Wayne Enterprises building.

I like the inclusion of the vehicles, even if we don''t fly them outselves. This makes me think we'll see Wayne Manor and the Batcave.

Bring it on. It's going to be a long wait. This is MY type of Batman.

Since there will be eight assassins hunting for Batman, let's have a guess who they might be. So far I can only come up with five:

• Deathstroke
    • Deadshot
    • Talia al Ghul
    • Bane
    • Red Hood  :-\

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

The Penguin is a lock. But the synopsis suggests we will be getting pre-Joker types. I think after AA and AC, which heavily featured The Joker, we're going to get a big scale back. I think he'll be there, but as the Red Hood. Which would be fine by me. It really would be his raw, original form. Batman won't know who it is at the time, but the audience will.

QuoteHow long has it been in development, I wonder. A Metroidvania game by people from Retro Studios (they also did Donkey Kong Returns, also 2.5D) sounds fun.

I recall the Arkham Asylum logo featuring at the unveiling of the 3DS back at E3 2010, so the Blackgate game could have been in development a lot longer than the main console game.

Retro Studios is one of the best developers around, and if these guys cut their teeth working for them on titles like the Metroid Prime trilogy (one of the best game trilogies ever and a big influence on the previous two Arkham games) and Donkey Kong Country Returns, then we're in for a real treat.

QuoteSince there will be eight assassins hunting for Batman, let's have a guess who they might be. So far I can only come up with five:
    1.   Deathstroke
    2.   Deadshot
    3.   Talia al Ghul
    4.   Bane
    5.   Red Hood   

I was wondering this myself. A few other possibilities:

•   David Cain
    •   Lady Shiva
    •   KGBeast (or possibly his successor, NKVDemon)
    •   William Cobb/The Talon
    •   Flamingo
    •   Gunhawk
    •   Headhunter