Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb

Started by BatmAngelus, Sat, 16 Mar 2013, 21:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Perfect.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Have to admit, 60's audio on Batman's finale awakes my "inner stormtrooper". When all is said and done, and despite its (well argued) shortcomings, this movie resonated with me. Stopped after the 0:10 mark, fully aware I could never unwatch this, LOL.

Any power this TDKR scene may have had is removed by the silliness of it all. So in a way the 60s music fits. Difference is I like the 60s show.

I still have no idea as to why Bruce felt like he had to 'die' at the same time Batman did. It was unnecessary in this plot. Oh, but he did that in the comics so it makes sense. Right.

All that is about is attempting to set up a 'Batman really did die' situation. But I'm left wondering how he survived a nuclear blast, even if he did bail out earlier. And how Gotham is immune to the radioactive fallout.

It's like how Nolan doesn't even attempt to explain how Bruce gets back into Gotham after climbing out of the pit. The king of exposition suddenly leaves us with a "because he's Batman" explanation. And Batman survived that nuclear blast for the same reason. It just doesn't wash.

Yeah, the movie features an actor dressed up in a batsuit and it is apart of the series, but that doesn't mean I have to make peace with it. The movie itself was meant to give the audience a sense of peace. Closure. But it failed to, thus the restless protests - and not just from me.

Sun, 17 Mar 2013, 07:17 #3 Last Edit: Sun, 17 Mar 2013, 07:41 by BatmAngelus
QuoteAny power this TDKR scene may have had is removed by the silliness of it all. So in a way the 60s music fits. Difference is I like the 60s show.
Couldn't agree more.  I say "Ditto" to everything you posted, but this part, especially, sums up why I feel the above video was "Perfect."

A lot of TDKRises fans chalk up the critics as fanboys who can't let go of the fact that Batman quit and think he should go on forever.  To me, it's not about that.  It's the execution. 

Heck, I think it's grossly unfair that the Burton movies get criticized for having Batman kill criminals when Batman does the same thing in the Dark Knight Trilogy, especially because in the Burton films, it is never established that Batman has a policy against killing.  You can watch B89 and Batman Returns without knowing anything about the character and be completely fine when he straps a bomb to the Circus Strongman.  Watch The Dark Knight, though, and Batman spends the whole movie saying he won't kill people, then kills Two-Face at the end and no one brings up the hypocrisy.  Again, it's not what's in the comics.  It's about consistency and staying true to your own vision.

Want to give Batman a definite ending and have Bruce Wayne hang up the cowl?  Okay, Chris.  But do it in a way that fits with the themes you were setting up in the last two movies, that keeps Bruce as the heroic figure we've been rooting for since Begins, and doesn't make us ask a ton of logic questions to ourselves before the credits roll. 

It also would've helped if Bruce hadn't already quit being Batman for eight years before the film started.  If the movie's about how Bruce needs to give up on being Batman, don't start with him having already done it 'cause then you've defeated the purpose.

Hell, I'm not even convinced "Batman" had to die at the end either, but things would've sat a lot better with me if "Batman died but Bruce Wayne lived" in the eyes of Gotham City.  It still wouldn't have solved things like "How did he get out of the Bat in time?" but this would've helped a lot of other issues. 

By staying in Gotham as Bruce, he wouldn't have come across as a selfish jerk, like in the current ending, for making his friends and allies, including the man who raised him, think he was dead.  Everyone who knew he was really Batman would know that he was still alive.

You also wouldn't have people wondering "Why hasn't anyone figured out that Bruce was Batman if they both died?" or "How/when the heck did Bruce have time to write his will?"

This ending also would've eliminated the restaurant reunion, which means Alfred wouldn't end up broadcasting the movie's ending in the first fifteen minutes or saying that he never wanted Bruce to come home from his travels (which was never remotely hinted at in Begins in the first place, so this wouldn't have been much of a loss).  And Bruce and Selina wouldn't magically be able to dine at the same restaurant in Italy at the same time. 

Instead, Bruce and Alfred might've actually had a real, heartfelt reunion/reconciliation in Wayne Manor, instead of just a nod and a grin, now that Bruce had finally moved on from being Batman. 
(Honestly, if I were Alfred, I wouldn't have been smiling upon seeing Bruce.  I would've been pissed that the kid made me think he was dead this whole time).

On a big thematic level, Bruce Wayne could actually regain his fortune, which would've fulfilled how Batman always "picks himself up" after tragedy (instead of quitting and running away from it all). 

Instead of leaving Gothamites to pick up the pieces from all of Bane's destruction so he could hook up with Selina in Europe, Bruce could've put funding back into the orphanage himself and used his resources to help the city rebuild itself, like his father did, finally shedding the playboy persona and living up to the Wayne family name, truly bringing the themes all back to Batman Begins (and fulfilling what Alfred advises earlier in the film anyway). 

We'd actually get to witness "the day that Gotham wouldn't need Batman" that was hinted at way back in 2005.
Too bad that was all contradicted in the current ending with the return of the Bat Signal and Blake getting the Batcave.

Honestly, I don't think the TDKRises fans would love the film any less if Nolan went for this ending.  The movie would've lost very little, yet gained so much.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

This skit video is genius. Pure genius.

Strangely I had no issue with how Batman survived the blast or faking his death. I was more upset by that travesty of a flying vehicle The Bat lol The Ladybug wouldv'e been a more appropriate name. I hope somebody can make a video replacing this craft in the scene with the Batwing and see how a real Batman flying craft should look.