Birdman (2014)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 6 Mar 2013, 01:45

Previous topic - Next topic
Wed, 6 Mar 2013, 01:45 Last Edit: Wed, 30 Jul 2014, 18:47 by Silver Nemesis
Keaton's starring in a new movie by director Alejandro González Iñárritu (Babel, Amores Perros) about a washed up superhero movie actor who's having trouble separating himself from his onscreen alter ego. The movie will also feature Emma Stone, Naomi Watts and Zach Galifianakis. Apparently production begins in April.

More info:

QuoteIn the movie, Keaton will play a former actor, famous for playing an iconic superhero, who puts on a Broadway play to regain his former glory. Stone plays his fresh-out-of-rehab daughter/assistant. Watts is his co-star and Galifianakis is the play's producer.
http://www.vulture.com/2013/03/m-keaton-stone-galifianakis-watts-to-co-star.html?mid=imdb

This could be for Keaton what The Wrestler was for Mickey Rourke. Alejandro González Iñárritu is an Academy Award-nominated filmmaker, so it's worth keeping an eye on this one.

Yep. Plus, look what playing a pampered, spoiled rich dude with substance abuse issues did for Robert Downey, Jr. There's something to be said for an actor playing autobiographical roles as a career resuscitation.

Hm, maybe Tom Cruise should play a cult member in some future movie...

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  6 Mar  2013, 03:45
Yep. Plus, look what playing a pampered, spoiled rich dude with substance abuse issues did for Robert Downey, Jr. There's something to be said for an actor playing autobiographical roles as a career resuscitation.

battlefield earth 2 anyone?

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  6 Mar  2013, 03:45Yep. Plus, look what playing a pampered, spoiled rich dude with substance abuse issues did for Robert Downey, Jr. There's something to be said for an actor playing autobiographical roles as a career resuscitation.

Quote from: riddler on Wed,  6 Mar  2013, 05:08battlefield earth 2 anyone?
Give that man a raise!

I'm intrigued to see what the Birdman costume will look like. Will they give him a cool outfit similar to Nite Owl's in Watchmen?

Or will they play it for laughs and dress him like this?

Probably the latter, but we can always hope.

Keaton's bound to discuss his experiences playing Batman when he's promoting the film, so if nothing else we'll have that to look forward to.

Of course with that title, and the premise of a washed up Superhero actor, these two instantly came to mind.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Very interesting. Personally I'd prefer if the movie treats "Birdman" as if it was a serious franchise - assuming Michael Keaton's character feels nostalgic about the late 80s/90s, designs like Robocop and Batman were the standard. Also, there's more potential for comedy in that compared to a blatantly silly homemade suit.

Keaton playing a washed up superhero actor sounds brilliant. With Keaton I gather he wanted to step back from films to be with his family and pretty much just chill out. As we know, the guy can act and no-one else has his quality. Looking forward to seeing what comes of this. It could be the second best thing aside from reprising Batman DKR style.

Long time no see guys!

This news has awakened me out of my "Batman Online" coma. It seems we are indeed on the verge of a Keaton renaissance.

I don't think it would make much sense using a pre-90's era type superhero costume. With this stunt casting, I think they will want a more obvious callback type costume. Zack Snyder stated that the Nite Owl & Ozymandias suits were parodying the Batman style superhero costumes of the 90's. With movies like the Arthur remake and Kick Ass, it seems to all the rage to poke fun at this era.

Apparently Edward Norton is playing the difficult actor who portrays Birdman in the stage production.