The Kaiju/Monsterverse Thread (Kong & Godzilla)

Started by BatmanFanatic93, Sat, 2 Mar 2013, 02:26

Previous topic - Next topic
QuoteThe "found footage" thing is just one way to do it. I don't like the nausea cam when it's over done (although I'm apparently in the minority view that doesn't think Cloverfield overdid it).

Anyway, point is that Cloverfield made it work by introducing the monster but not going into any detail about the creature's origins or, really, capabilities. More words rarely make a better explanation. So keep it simple.

Agreed. I think a "realistic" take (ie focus on the destruction of a real place and with real people) would be a really cool way to do it. You can always have a Godzilla Vs whatever movie as a sequel.

QuoteAs for the reboot, it's success for me depends on where it's set. Godzilla stories should be based in Japan, or at least in Asia. I know he's rampaged through other countries in some of the past films, but his activities should really be localised around Japan. Godzilla is an intrinsically Japanese character, just like James Bond is intrinsically British.

Agreed.

Sat, 30 Mar 2013, 21:41 #11 Last Edit: Sun, 31 Mar 2013, 18:28 by BatmanFanatic93
Yeah i thought i'd ask cause seems i met some g-fans here and why not  :D

Here's my list.  8)

1:Godzilla 1954
2:Godzilla 1985
3:Son of Godzilla
4:Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
5:Mothra vs. Godzilla
6:Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
7:Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
8:King Kong vs. Godzilla
9:Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
10:Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla

And if your wondering why i only have one of the Millennium movies on my list because i was never a big fan of the Millennium series that much...i dunno something about them wasn't as strong as the originals except for the one i have on my list
You ether die a trilogy or live long enough to see yourself become batman & robin

I like the Showa era.

1. Gojira/Godzilla King of the Monsters
2. Mothra vs. Godzilla
3. King Kong vs. Godzilla
4. Ghidrah/Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster
5. Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985
6. Son of Godzilla
7. Godzilla vs. Hedorah/Smog Monster (it's ... very different)
8. Godzilla Final Wars
9. Godzilla Raids Again/Gigantis the Fire Monster
10. Destroy all Monsters (the final battle is amazing!)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sun, 31 Mar  2013, 17:27

I like the Showa era.

1. Gojira/Godzilla King of the Monsters
2. Mothra vs. Godzilla
3. King Kong vs. Godzilla
4. Ghidrah/Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster
5. Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985
6. Son of Godzilla
7. Godzilla vs. Hedorah/Smog Monster (it's ... very different)
8. Godzilla Final Wars
9. Godzilla Raids Again/Gigantis the Fire Monster
10. Destroy all Monsters (the final battle is amazing!)

Cool list my friend my favorite era is the Heisei btw does that mean you like godzilla's revenge as well? XD
You ether die a trilogy or live long enough to see yourself become batman & robin

Quote from: BatmanFanatic93 on Sun, 31 Mar  2013, 18:25
Cool list my friend my favorite era is the Heisei btw does that mean you like godzilla's revenge as well? XD

:D

I actually kinda do, but some of that is probably due to my wanting to see it for years during my childhood, and never being able to. Similar to Destroy All Monsters, and Godzilla vs. Hedorah/Smog Monster. With the latter two, I have no recollection of seeing either one until they aired on the Sci Fi Channel (pre-Syfy of course) during the late 1990's. I think it might have been a year or two years at best prior to those airings that Paramount released Godzilla's Revenge on VHS. But where my liking of Hedorah/Smog Monster was because of how psychedelic, and sometimes just absurdly WEIRD it could often be, my liking for Revenge was due to how hysterically awful the film, more often than not, actually was.

During the 1970's Showa Godzilla era, it was apparent that the films began being brought in on a budget, but Revenge is probably the best example of that as the abundant use of stock footage was quite literally, shameless. I mean, the re-use of footage, especially in the Showa era, wasn't something that the Godzilla films were strangers of, but Revenge brought it to a whole new level. Throw in Minya's Barney Rubble-like voice, and Gabara, who sounds like a cross between a cat and a car engine trying to crank up, and it's definately a strong candidate for those nights one might be in a MST3000 frame of mind. More so than even Megalon even!  ;D

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: BatmanFanatic93 on Sat, 30 Mar  2013, 21:41

Here's my list.  8)

And if your wondering why i only have one of the Millennium movies on my list because i was never a big fan of the Millennium series that much...i dunno something about them wasn't as strong as the originals except for the one i have on my list
Do you know where one could find a larger version of that Heisei poster? That looks great!

Honestly, I get at least some amount of joy from every film in the Showa and Heisei series. The original is an amazing piece of cinema, and I gravitate towards the design and personality of the Heisei Godzilla. Nearly every entry in the Millennium series left me cold.

Quote from: zDBZ on Thu, 18 Apr  2013, 04:07
Quote from: BatmanFanatic93 on Sat, 30 Mar  2013, 21:41

Here's my list.  8)

Do you know where one could find a larger version of that Heisei poster? That looks great!

Honestly, I get at least some amount of joy from every film in the Showa and Heisei series. The original is an amazing piece of cinema, and I gravitate towards the design and personality of the Heisei Godzilla. Nearly every entry in the Millennium series left me cold.
Sorry bud that's only size i could find in it & for your feelings about the Millennium series i don't blame ya i mean they're a cool update from the older I.E Costumes but the story wise & how the monsters are used are not as good as the original except for Maybe final wars & GMK but even that's giving it too much created  :P

Thread could use a better title, but since there's already been some prior discussion on 2014's Godzilla film within this thread, might as well stick with it.

And as the 2013 SDCC is in full swing, so is the Godzilla hype.

Couple of new posters:

Concept art:

And first teaser image of the King of the Monsters himself.

As Godzilla fan, yes, I'm stoked for this.

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 18 Jul  2013, 06:14

Thread could use a better title, but since there's already been some prior discussion on 2014's Godzilla film within this thread, might as well stick with it.

And as the 2013 SDCC is in full swing, so is the Godzilla hype.

Couple of new posters:

Concept art:

And first teaser image of the King of the Monsters himself.

As Godzilla fan, yes, I'm stoked for this.
*sniffs*
these are beautiful  ;D

From the little bit we can see of him, Godzilla looks not unlike Stan Winston's old maquette. I can't quite tell his colour; did they stick to the charcoal grey or give in and make him green?