New Batman: Arkham Game Coming This Year

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 12 Feb 2013, 20:43

Previous topic - Next topic
Apparently Captain Boomerang literally urinates on the Flash's corpse. ::) The game must've been written by a 13-year-old edgelord who hates the Justice League.

I hope it bombs. I don't accept it as a canonical continuation of the Arkham Batman's adventures, and I can't imagine many fans will. The entire concept is horribly ill judged. Despite its early release, there's presently no Metascore: https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/01/30/suicide-squad-kill-the-justice-leagues-no-reviews-no-metascore-launch-is-a-choice-to-be-sure/ It does however have a 26% Google rating. I expect that'll go down in time once the innevitable review bombing starts.

Many outlets are doing damage control by pointing out that Conroy has more posthumous performances as Batman yet to come. Imagine if this was his final performance in the role. It's bad enough that in his previous performance – which was his only live action appearance as Batman – they made him evil and showed him getting killed by Batwoman.

This is worse, since it's meant to be the Arkhamverse Batman that fans love. What a way to celebrate the Arkhamverse's 15th anniversary.

Apparently, the game story isn't complete--"chapter" expansions later this year continue it, and data miners have noted that the JL are still in the portions yet to come, including Bruce.

It's apparently a fakeout death. A hallucination, clones or whatever. Everybody getting worked up based on hearsay.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 31 Jan  2024, 15:03Yeah, I saw all the uproar on social media. I won't be playing or supporting this game.

This won't be in my head canon for the Arkham series. What a bummer.  >:(
Of all the stories to choose, and the way it could be told, they go with this? There's a good chance they won't have an audience base to begin with to see the story develop over the course of a year if these humiliating degradations are indeed reversed. First impressions are lasting impressions and people have seen what they've seen.

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Wed, 31 Jan  2024, 18:58Apparently, the game story isn't complete--"chapter" expansions later this year continue it, and data miners have noted that the JL are still in the portions yet to come, including Bruce.

It's apparently a fakeout death. A hallucination, clones or whatever. Everybody getting worked up based on hearsay.
I mean, I wouldn't claim "hearsay". You can see the video above of the cinematic clip from the game. I get that the story isn't completely told, as things could reverse in future chapters, but still, people are commenting on what we have now.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 31 Jan  2024, 15:03Yeah, I saw all the uproar on social media. I won't be playing or supporting this game.

All the cut scenes from this stupid game are already released online.

Aside from the idiotic dialogue, the way the heroes are given undignified deaths except for Wonder Woman, lame gags like Deadshot stopping Captain Boomerang from pissing on Flash's dead body just compliment him on his penis size, the biggest sin of this game is simple - it looks boring. All the gameplay I've seen so far is nothing but shoot 'em up and flying around in jet packs, ad nauseam. There's none of the creativity such as stealth, multiple combo attacks or creative riddle problem solving like any of the Batman Arkham games. It's just shooting. Yes, characters who are described as the Fastest Man Alive and Faster Than a Speeding Bullet, get killed by being gunned down to death. It doesn't even matter that Kryptonite weakened Superman, there's absolutely nothing imaginative going on with that boss battle.

This cynical game was made to appeal to the Fortnite crowd. The end of this game reveals Task Force X may need to travel the multiverse, which might explain the agenda to keep the crowd playing online every year. But who really wants to, knowing this game is bland and generic as they come from a gaming point of view, and mean-spirited and moronic from a storytelling point of view?

The original founder of Rocksteady, Sefton Hill, left the company to start a new one. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall and wanted no part of the backlash. I highly doubt he would've chose to make this game after the terrific work he directed on the three Batman games. This must be WB's mandate at work here.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 31 Jan  2024, 15:03This won't be in my head canon for the Arkham series. What a bummer.  >:(

Agreed, but if the multiverse is anything to go, the events of this game can be dismissed by setting it in another universe anyway. That would make sense because it's utterly stupid that Arkham Knight - the game that was always intended as the finale, "the day that Batman died" and the whole Protocol 10 storyline - gets retconned so Batman could die for real. And under such ignominious circumstances too.

This blatant cash grab will get the Avengers game treatment. It's not even worth getting upset about.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu,  1 Feb  2024, 10:11Agreed, but if the multiverse is anything to go, the events of this game can be dismissed by setting it in another universe anyway. That would make sense because it's utterly stupid that Arkham Knight - the game that was always intended as the finale, "the day that Batman died" and the whole Protocol 10 storyline - gets retconned so Batman could die for real. And under such ignominious circumstances too.

I got my Arkham games mixed up. I meant to say Knightfall Protocol - Protocol 10 was in Arkham City. You get the point anyway.

I read that Kill The Justice League currently has only under a thousand people playing this game on Steam at the moment, and its debut player count was around 13,000. That's much less than what Avengers debuted with only 28,000.

The game deserves all the backlash it's getting. However, the only complaint I don't agree with is how it disrespects Kevin Conroy's legacy. Listen, Conroy knew what he was signing up for. There's no way he read these lines without understanding the scope of the story. I'm disappointed he went along with it because this game didn't deserve his talent. I understand it's a job at the end of the day, but I wish he was protective about his video game portrayal of the character, especially how this game tried to undermine everything established at the end of Arkham Knight.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Thu, 29 Feb 2024, 12:09 #48 Last Edit: Thu, 29 Feb 2024, 12:14 by The Dark Knight
Accurate, except he wouldn't have even let Harley get a shot off. I'm envisioning a dodge before the gun was fired with it quickly stripped apart and thrown to the ground.

As expected, via this article: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/warner-says-suicide-squad-kill-the-justice-league-has-fallen-short-of-expectations/

QuoteChief financial officer Gunnar Wiedenfels provided a brief update on the game's early performance during Warner Bros. Discovery's fourth quarter earnings call on Friday.

"We are lapping the release of Hogwarts Legacy in February last year, which saw the largest portion of its very positive financial impact in the first quarter," he said.

"This year, Suicide Squad, one of our key video game releases in 2024, has fallen short of our expectations since its release earlier in the quarter, setting our games business up for a tough year-over-year comp in Q1."

What a surprise. Between this and Gotham Knights we're experiencing an unnecessary lull. Even if the Arkham Batman is brought back to life as the story develops they've already lost their audience. How about giving Batman fans what they want and that's another solo game where we actually play as the hero and defeat the villains? It might not be an Arkham game, but word is Lego Batman 4 is currently in development. I hope that's true, because all the others have been worthwhile. It would likely be a return to form after what we've recently received.

I enjoyed all three of the previous Lego Batman games. I can't believe it's been almost a decade since Beyond Gotham came out. It feels more recent than that. It's about time we had a new entry in the series, and with the Arkhamverse circling the drain Lego Batman 4 might be our best hope for a good new Batman game.