Death of the Family (2012) SPOILERS

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 6 Dec 2012, 21:06

Previous topic - Next topic
I read this story arc a little while ago. This is, and the Red Hood arc in Zero Year, is a modern day example where the Joker's creation from that fateful fall into the chemical waste is a fact and a legitimate backstory. But like Batman killing people, the myth that Joker's origin should be completely mysterious still persists.

Scott Snyder saved the best for last in this story. Right when the Joker thought he'd annihilate the entire Bat-Family with his laughing gas, they all use their own willpower to overcome their violent impulses. A typical trait Batman had to survive against all odds, which he passed onto them. Quite the legacy.

As for the final confrontation between Batman and Joker in this story, you can tell the Joker deep down remembers who he used to be, but refuses to hear it to maintain this psychotic persona. And as he was originally Red Hood One in Zero year, he was always a criminal mastermind who had aspirations to be larger than life. Reminding himself he once had a real name would only humanise him, and that is something the Joker outright rejects. Makes total sense to me.  In that regard, it's better than the "multiple choice" cop out in The Killing Joke.

I can't help but feel as Joker's rotten face falls floats in the air as he falls off the cliff in the Batcave, it's supposed to be synonymous with the facade of his "mask" stripped away from him and he doesn't want to face the reality of who really is. No pun intended. Of course, I could be just overthinking it, but I got the impression that image was symbolic of the story at that point, when I first read it.

As for Bruce recalling the time where he took a personal visit to meet the Joker at Arkham Asylum, and shows him the calling card left behind in the Batcave after Batman's first confrontation with him. Bruce explains Joker stared at the card but didn't actually take any notice at him, meaning he blocked out the man behind the cowl on purpose to make sure Batman's identity stays a secret. We are told the Joker's fun would be spoiled if he learned of his arch-nemesis's true identity and wants to maintain his twisted sense of fun. But could it be possible the Joker did notice Bruce, and stayed in denial about knowing Batman's true identity ever since? Judging from his refusal to hear Batman saying his real name, denial isn't a far fetched trait the Joker suffers from.

Speaking of the first confrontation between Batman and Joker, did anyone else think the blimp trying to gas the city was paying a subtle homage to B89, when Nicholson tried to poison everybody at the 200th anniversary parade with his own blimps?

Overall, Death of the Family is alright, but it's not in the same class as The Court of Owls or even Zero Year.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei