Comikaze 2012

Started by BatmAngelus, Sun, 2 Sep 2012, 04:51

Previous topic - Next topic
If there's anyone here in Los Angeles, Comikaze 2012 is coming on September 15-16.

September 15th will be the big reunion of the Batman 1960s TV show cast, with Adam West, Burt Ward, and Julie Newmar.  http://comikazeexpo.com/

Michael Uslan will also be at the convention, but I'm not sure what event he'll be part of.  Plus, I'm sure DC will have a panel that weekend.

Like last year, I plan to attend and write up a report on the Bat-reunion, Uslan, as well on anything else Bat-related.

If anyone will be there, I will be dressing up as either John Blake (if I get a haircut and police badge) or Bruce Wayne (if I can get a cane).  We'll see what I can get within the next couple weeks...
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Sounds great Ben.

Do you think you'll get the opportunity to ask Uslan any questions?

I hope so.  We'll find out soon when he'll be appearing/speaking and, if it's a panel, I'll certainly try to ask him a question for the site.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

I hope you get the opportunity to talk to Uslan.

I would love to ask him about some specific comic influences on Batman Returns. He's always a bit vague about that subject in interviews and usually just says something about the "vampiric" Batman stories of the early nineties. I'd like to narrow it down a bit and confirm/deny the influence of stories like Catwoman: Her Sister's Keeper (1989) and The Penguin Affair (1990). I'd also like to know what specific "vampiric" Batman stories he says Burton was into. I'm assuming he's talking about the stylistic influence of comics like Grant Morrison's Batman: Gothic (1990) and Peter Milligan's Batman: Dark Knight, Dark City (1990). Or he could be talking about actual vampire stories such as Batman and Dracula: Red Rain (1991). Either way, I'd like clarification.

But since you may only get one question, if any, it might be better to ask about something more contemporary like The Dark Knight Rises, The Dark Knight Returns animated movie or the future of the franchise as a whole. Regardless of what you ask him – if anything – I'll look forward to reading your report about the event. It sounds like the sixties TV show reunion will be a big highlight of the day. It's always great to hear from Adam and Burt.

And concerning your costume, I think you should go as Blake. If you go with the Wayne look you'll have to maintain that limp for the whole day, which could get pretty tiring when you're waiting in line for panels. On the other hand, the dressing gown would probably be more comfortable than the leather jacket. And if anyone pushes in front of you in the lines you can just whack them over the head with the cane.

Thanks, Silver.  When I find out more about Uslan's appearance, I'll see what I can do.

QuoteAnd concerning your costume, I think you should go as Blake. If you go with the Wayne look you'll have to maintain that limp for the whole day, which could get pretty tiring when you're waiting in line for panels. On the other hand, the dressing gown would probably be more comfortable than the leather jacket. And if anyone pushes in front of you in the lines you can just whack them over the head with the cane.
Haha, I've been leaning more towards Blake, too, and saving the Bruce Wayne look for a Halloween party, where it'd be easier to do the fake limping.

I'll try to get pictures of any costumed characters at the convention.  On top of the usual Batman character cosplay, I'm sure there'll be a bunch of TDKR-related costumes this year, especially Bane and Catwoman.  I'd be interested to see if anyone tries to do Marion's Talia or Judge Crane...

Update: Kevin Smith will be there, apparently to do a live podcast with Adam West for his Fatman on the Batman show!
http://comikazeexpo.com/kevin-smith-2/

Also, Neal Adams will be in attendance.
http://comikazeexpo.com/neal-adams/

Whose dick do I have to suck to get a free plane ticket over there?

That sounds like an awesome line-up

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Sat,  8 Sep  2012, 21:00
Whose dick do I have to suck to get a free plane ticket over there?
The homosexual Green Lantern's.

Thu, 13 Sep 2012, 01:59 #9 Last Edit: Thu, 13 Sep 2012, 02:03 by BatmAngelus
The schedule has been released. 
http://comikazeexpo.com/panels-and-programing/

Here are the panels/shows I will probably be covering:

11:00AM Batgirl: Spoiled Stunt Show
A stunt show demonstrating the fights and stunts from the upcoming web series Batgirl: Spoiled, starring Marisha Ray (who appeared in the 1960s Batmobile vs. 1989 Batmobile video, washing the 1960s Batmobile in a bikini...) as the Stephanie Brown Batgirl.

1:00PM Batgirl: Spoiled
This will air the first episode of the webseries, a week before it hits the Internet, followed by a Q&A with the cast and crew.

2:00PM Spotlight on Michael Uslan
Q&A with the Boy Who Loved Batman (and helped bring him to life in the post-Adam West age).

3:00PM Batman: The Classic Series
Adam West discussing his time on the show with Kevin Smith in a live "Fat Man on Batman" podcast.  I believe this is when the cast reunion with West, Burt Ward, and Julie Newmar happens as well.

5:00PM Comics on Comics
Apparently this is a talk show that "pits comedians against comic creators."  Michael Uslan and Thomas Jane (what a combination) are among the guests.

On Sunday, there is going to be a panel debating who is the best Robin.  However, I will only be going on Saturday, where a majority of the big guests are coming, so I won't be attending that (as much as it sounds fun).

This is going to be a lot more material than last year's (if I can make it into all of these panels).  I'll try my best to capture all the good stuff and share in an article on Sunday.