Hot Toys Batman Returns - release date?

Started by Bobthegoon89, Tue, 21 Aug 2012, 00:04

Previous topic - Next topic
Hot toys just previewed their upcoming products for 2013 on Facebook and sadly Batman Returns was nowhere in sight. Unless they are aware of it's demand and are holding their images for a later date to stir up anticipation.

Unfortunately we have yet another sodden Iron Man to look forward to, plus a Hall of Armour set. An ED-209 from Robocop and some Prometheus stuff.

Irritatingly it seems Hot Toys have spent the budget on more Dark Knight Rises items. Batman's costume chamber is getting a release which is quite nice but unfortunately so is The Bat vehicle. In all it's crapply designed glory. Keep your flippers crossed Mayor Cobblepot still gets his massively overdue release.

Did HT ever officially confirm they were doing Batman Returns stuff?

Quote from: KeatonisBatman on Fri, 18 Jan  2013, 19:26
Did HT ever officially confirm they were doing Batman Returns stuff?

They did announce it with special posters. Like these http://www.batmancentral.com/hot-toys-have-announced-batman-returns-16-scale-14-scale-figures/

If they have been cancelled I can't imagine it's because Batman and Nicholson's Joker sold poorly. Maybe the level of difficulty?

I was just thinking the same thing Bobthegoon... that maybe they are really re-working the likenesses.  I think Keaton should be a cinch for them.  Perhaps they are having trouble the materials for the costumes?  I would imagine getting Pfeiffer's figure spot on is proving difficult.  They might've also taken cues from fans and decided to do something with the figures that wasn't originally planned (like removing Batman's mask or something).  Penguin alone could come with all sorts of goodies.  I think he had 3 or 4 prominent umbrellas right?

I would absolutely love Hot Toys figures of the central Returns characters, but of course, cost is a factor. I still haven't bought the 89 figure.
Even the greatest masterpiece has its flaws.

Quote from: KeatonisBatman on Sat, 19 Jan  2013, 01:31
I was just thinking the same thing Bobthegoon... that maybe they are really re-working the likenesses.  I think Keaton should be a cinch for them.  Perhaps they are having trouble the materials for the costumes?  I would imagine getting Pfeiffer's figure spot on is proving difficult.  They might've also taken cues from fans and decided to do something with the figures that wasn't originally planned (like removing Batman's mask or something).  Penguin alone could come with all sorts of goodies.  I think he had 3 or 4 prominent umbrellas right?

Indeed he did. Knife umbrella may be a possible addition but I'm hoping for the black and white spiral one nicknamed "the dazer" or "hypno-umbrella" (according to the bubble gum cards I had as a kid). "What is that one supposed to do hypnotize me?", "No, just give ya a splitting headache!", "Well...it's not working" lol

I have a feeling The Penguin's victorian outfit from the "Things Change" scene might be too tough a deal for the artists. Have you seen the detail on that costume in the film? It's a tall order I think. But that's the suit I really want them to go for because it looks more like The Penguin to me. I hope it won't be the "sewer pyjamma's" costume. I guess they can include that underneath perhaps?

If they do manage to pull off The Penguin it'll be a pretty monumental feat for us fans. There has never been a 100% accurate figure of Devito's character. Except for the animated series Kenner toy which was a slight redesign. I had the Kenner toy from the Batman Returns line and always disliked the fact they copped out and had the comics version in a black and white tuxedo.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sun, 20 Jan  2013, 03:16
If they do manage to pull off The Penguin it'll be a pretty monumental feat for us fans. There has never been a 100% accurate figure of Devito's character. Except for the animated series Kenner toy which was a slight redesign. I had the Kenner toy from the Batman Returns line and always disliked the fact they copped out and had the comics version in a black and white tuxedo.

Yeah I think that was just a redux of the Super Powers Penguin figure.  What a crock.  LOL... amazing because they had a semi likeness of Keaton from that Dark Knight and Batman Returns run.  I guess DeVito didn't sign away his likeness for some reason.  I am guessing Hot Toys will show off the Batman Returns stuff after the Batmobile is released (or around the same time) to renew interest for that item.

What would we like to get from the Batman Returns line?

Some thoughts from me:

Characters:
Batman (with optional Bruce Wayne head when he rips off the mask in the finale)
The Penguin - In suit and top hat with umbrella.
Catwoman - Minor rips in the suit but not fully ripped ala the finale.

Vehicles:
Batskiboat
Penguin's yellow duck

The Batmobile will be released mid this year. So that's covered. From B89, I'd also like the Batwing to receive the Hot Toys treatment.

Quote from: KeatonisBatman on Sun, 20 Jan  2013, 06:59
Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sun, 20 Jan  2013, 03:16

Yeah I think that was just a redux of the Super Powers Penguin figure.  What a crock.  LOL... amazing because they had a semi likeness of Keaton from that Dark Knight and Batman Returns run.  I guess DeVito didn't sign away his likeness for some reason.  I am guessing Hot Toys will show off the Batman Returns stuff after the Batmobile is released (or around the same time) to renew interest for that item.

Well actually Kenner themselves rejected any plans to release a proper figure of the Devito Penguin. According to imdb.com's Batman Returns trivia section they refused as he was too frightening and grotesque. So I find it strange just a year later they go and release that version for it's toned down animated series counterpart. Hence the reason you'll never have that figure cheap either loose or carded through ebay.

That's a good point about the Batmobile and my hopes have been renewed lol Perhaps at an upcoming Toy Fair as well? They did preview the Nicholson Joker at one of those.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 20 Jan  2013, 07:29
What would we like to get from the Batman Returns line?

Some thoughts from me:

Characters:
Batman (with optional Bruce Wayne head when he rips off the mask in the finale)
The Penguin - In suit and top hat with umbrella.
Catwoman - Minor rips in the suit but not fully ripped ala the finale.

Vehicles:
Batskiboat
Penguin's yellow duck

The Batmobile will be released mid this year. So that's covered. From B89, I'd also like the Batwing to receive the Hot Toys treatment.

I was thinking maybe they would even include a "Penguin Commando" as an accessory with The Penguin lol I dunno that would be funny and great. Complete with rocket pack and flip down goggles/visor. I always thought those goggles made them look similar to the camera headgear worn by the marines in James Cameron's "Aliens". Maybe a deliberate design.

I won't be getting Batman if their released (I'm happy with the 1989 black/gold suit) but yes I think a removable mask is highly appropriate for this film. Perhaps with Catwoman scratch marks across his face?

Defintely the Batwing is entitled to a release after they went and made the terrible "cousin" The Bat. Oh dear. 

I really like the design of the boxes for Batman and The Joker. The all purple box obviously for The Joker and the yellow one for Batman (matching the yellow/gold end title credits of the movie). For Batman Returns I'd like a black and white box colour scheme to match the sequels two main colours. If they decide to do another variation on those Bat Signals included with the box it's obvious for The Penguin they have to use the "Cobblepot for Mayor" campaign logo.