Comic Book Influences on The Dark Knight Rises (SPOILERS)

Started by BatmAngelus, Mon, 30 Jul 2012, 03:52

Previous topic - Next topic
No, we missed this one. Good find, TDK. This comic could well have influenced the Nolan Bane's appearance, which in turn influenced the look of the New 52 Bane.

This thread consists of, like, eight pages and I'm far too lazy to sift through all of it. So, forgive me if this has been brought up on some previous page.

But the feature makes reference to Batman wearing an arm brace in TDKR, speculating that this inspired Bruce wearing a leg brace in TDKRises. And who knows?

Still, the leg brace seemed to enhance Bruce's strength in his leg and allow him to regain his mobility. I can't believe I never made this connection before (and I may very well have made this connection before and have simply forgotten it from some previous page) but that is VERY similar to Detective Comics Annual #04, part of the Armageddon 2001 crossover.

Bruce builds a partial exo-skeleton in that story to allow him to overcome his damage body's limitations. Specifically, the exo-skeleton most prominently affects his legs. And like the movie, the exo-skeleton enhances his abilities rather than simply allowing him to function normally.

The more likely (and more relevant) inspiration for the leg brace is still the arm brace from TDKR. But still, I thought the exo-skeleton from Detective Comics Annual #04 at least warranted a mention here.

As a sidenote, Detective Comics Annual #04 is a pretty good story with a pretty action-filled, explosive ending to Bruce's journey.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 20 Mar  2020, 19:53
No, we missed this one. Good find, TDK. This comic could well have influenced the Nolan Bane's appearance, which in turn influenced the look of the New 52 Bane.

Is that from a comic that came out before TDKR was filming?

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  6 Apr  2020, 19:34
This thread consists of, like, eight pages and I'm far too lazy to sift through all of it. So, forgive me if this has been brought up on some previous page.

Another good addition to the thread. I don't think anyone mentioned Detective Comics Vol 1 #4 in relation to The Dark Knight Rises before now. However I did mention the ending of that story in the 'Comics in which Batman kills' thread, and I'm pretty sure we referenced the Armageddon 2001 storyline in the Batman v Superman comic influences feature; specifically with regards to Batman killing Superman at the end of 'Execution 2001' (Superman Annual Vol 2 #3, May 1991).

Come to think of it, this should really be in the 'Comics in which Batman kills' thread too. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the Batman v Superman feature online anymore. Looks like it's vanished from the site.

Quote from: Dagenspear on Tue,  7 Apr  2020, 08:05Is that from a comic that came out before TDKR was filming?

No, those panels are from Forever Evil Aftermath: Batman vs. Bane (June 2014). Scott Eaton's Bane was influenced by Hardy's.

Noticed this from Gotham Noir. Gordon wakes up near water with a dead body nearby, similar to the themes around his sewer escape from Bane. Blake rescues Gordon from the outflow due to bodies being found in the vicinity previously.

Speaking of that scene, did we miss an obvious comic influence from Knightfall? I'm thinking about the scene where Tim Drake meets Bane in 'Crocodile Tears' (Detective Comics Vol 1 #660, May 1993). In both stories one of Batman's allies is taken prisoner in a tunnel while investigating the activities of Bane and his cohorts. Batman's ally is then taken to the sewers where he witnesses a display of Bane's prowess: Tim sees Bane fight Killer Croc, while Gordon sees Bane kill one of his own henchmen. The scene ends with Batman's ally escaping by falling into the water and riding the current to freedom.

In both stories this occurs before Batman himself has faced off against Bane.

Can't believe I never noticed that before. But at a minimum, that comic book bit in the sewer surely had to be an influence on the movie concept of Bane's underground hideout. The multiple levels, the waterfall, it seems pretty specific.

Argh! Here's something else I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else (after a quick glance)!

These pages from Hush show an airborne hijacking where one plane overtakes another, someone breaks into the second plane, kidnaps a VIP character and then makes a swift escape. Bonus points for the Talia connection.

Honestly, it's the combination of ALL those things that makes me wonder if this might have been a real inspiration for TDKRises. If just one of those elements wasn't included in Hush, I might not be posting this now. But the jet-to-jet hijacking, kidnapping AND the Talia angle makes me wonder that someone involved with the movie looked very closely at this part of Hush.

Obviously, the movie goes a pretty different way with the movie sequence. But that aside, the similarities seem to go pretty deep if you ask me.

Thoughts?