Comic Book Influences on The Dark Knight Rises (SPOILERS)

Started by BatmAngelus, Mon, 30 Jul 2012, 03:52

Previous topic - Next topic
http://www.batman-online.com/features/2012/7/29/comic-influences-on-the-dark-knight-rises

This weekend, Silver Nemesis and I collaborated on an article detailing the comic book connections to The Dark Knight Rises. 

Check out the article that Batman-Online's owner, Paul, called "Truly epic!"

That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Yes. Nice work.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Our fellow poster, Gotham Alleys, has really cool comparison shots of Selina Kyle's outfit in the airport scenes:
http://gothamalleys.blogspot.com/2012/07/coming-soon.html

Looking forward to his full article!
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

http://www.slashfilm.com/superhero-bits-268/

The article is on Page 1 of /Film's Superhero Bits.

Very cool guys  8), If id knew before that youre also planning on this I would have joined in, although Im not sure if I wouldve been able to at this time. Ill try as much as possible to avoid the repetition, although some of the same points I have to include

Excellent article... I picked up a few trades to catch up on some of the storyline arcs that you mentioned.   This movie has recaptured my deep interest in Batman.  I have always been a Burton fan, but this movie, is a comic book movie.  Your article really does point it out.  I know many keep harping on Nolan's attitude about it happening in the "real world", but there are so many story lines in the comics that match up, it works.  The other thing I have found, is some of the "plot holes" I hear about can be answered if one reads many of those stories you mention.  I know the story lines don't line up exactly, but the core info is there to actually go, "ahh well in the comic xyz happened" and you can apply that to the film.   

I am so glad this site is here, that  there are a lot of other fans who share the same feelings about this character and the various films that have come out over the years.

Good job as usual, guys.

There are comic references there of course, but I don't feel them as strongly as in other films.

There are long segments where Bruce/Batman is a side character in his own movie. I cannot see how Nolan lovers can use this criticism against the Burton flicks especially after this. Batman's presence is felt in scenes he's not in during B89/BR, and the villains relate to his personality and circumstances. In Rises, not so much. It's pretty much Gotham PD Blue featuring John Blake and friends.

Agh! We missed something!

Bruce Wayne fakes his own death at the end of Batman & Dracula: Red Rain (1991). Alfred bids a mournful farewell at his master's graveside in a scene that's very similar to the ending of the movie.

A solicitor then informs Alfred that Bruce named him executor of his estate, stipulating that his wealth be used to help the homeless. Just like in the film.

This is a bit too similar to the movie to be a coincidence. I didn't consider it when we wrote the article because it was an Elseworld story. But I wish we'd included it now.

Good find, Silver. I say the article needs to be edited to include this.  ;)