The Joker's Fate (needless to say, spoilers)

Started by Azrael, Sat, 28 Jul 2012, 16:13

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 28 Jul 2012, 16:13 Last Edit: Sat, 28 Jul 2012, 16:30 by SilentEnigma
By now you all have read it in news sites etc.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2012/07/26/joker-dark-knight-rises-novel/

QuoteNow that the Dent Act had made it all but impossible for the city's criminals to cop an insanity plea, it (Blackgate Prison) had replaced Arkham Asylum as a preferred location for imprisoning both convicted and suspected felons. The worst of the worst were sent here, except for the Joker, who, rumor had it, was locked away as Arkham's sole remaining inmate. Or perhaps he had escaped. Nobody was really sure. Not even Selina.

Someone mentioned that there is a real world precedent for a prison with just one inmate: Rudolf Hess was the sole prisoner of Spandau Prison, in Berlin, for the last 20 or so years of his life.

I love this fanmade storyboard that shows Bane freeing all prisoners except the Joker - he would be too crazy and dangerous even for Bane ("even evil has standards")

So the Joker's the only inmate at Arkham now...and nobody's really sure if he's actually there? 

Man, that Arkham security...  ;D
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

It's indicated there is no mention of the Joker in respect for Ledger. So since we can only speculate here's my thoughts;
I kind of figure wherever he ended up he got the Hannibal Lector treatment. Behind glass and strapped up when out of his cell. Now that being said the gotham legal system was already corrupt and the DA office must have been a mess with the DA and assistant DA dead by the end of it. So it's possible the Joker got out although he wouldn't have kept quiet for 8 years if he did.

I find this 'explanation' to be a cop-out.

If Heath Ledger were still alive, do you think the Joker would've had a role in the movie?

After watching the film, it occurred to me that Joker was hellbent on tearing the city apart and certain that turning Harvey Dent into Two-Face would cause Gotham to lose hope.  So, Batman and Gordon lied to the city that Batman committed Two-Face's crimes.  And in reaction to this, the Joker...just got locked up forever and was never heard from again?

Wouldn't Joker break out and try to finish what he started?  Wouldn't he want to reveal Dent's true colors?  I can imagine a Killing Joke-type scenario where Joker takes Gordon hostage and, like the video messages in Dark Knight, have a broken, beaten Gordon admit the truth to the city on TV.  I realize that having Joker return as a major villain in the third film would risk feeling like a rehash of the previous one, but I think it would've fit the character's motives and goals much more than, presumably, staying locked up in Arkham, knowing that his plan with Dent didn't pan out.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Mon, 13 Aug  2012, 18:13
If Heath Ledger were still alive, do you think the Joker would've had a role in the movie?

After watching the film, it occurred to me that Joker was hellbent on tearing the city apart and certain that turning Harvey Dent into Two-Face would cause Gotham to lose hope.  So, Batman and Gordon lied to the city that Batman committed Two-Face's crimes.  And in reaction to this, the Joker...just got locked up forever and was never heard from again?

Wouldn't Joker break out and try to finish what he started?  Wouldn't he want to reveal Dent's true colors?  I can imagine a Killing Joke-type scenario where Joker takes Gordon hostage and, like the video messages in Dark Knight, have a broken, beaten Gordon admit the truth to the city on TV.  I realize that having Joker return as a major villain in the third film would risk feeling like a rehash of the previous one, but I think it would've fit the character's motives and goals much more than, presumably, staying locked up in Arkham, knowing that his plan with Dent didn't pan out.

I think the ovewhelming praise Ledger would have still gotten if he lived might have gotten him into the film. Perhaps it would have gone like the arkham video games; the first one he takes front row centre but the second one he's still there just taking a back seat. Or they would have done what they did with the scarecrow and kept him one for one scene. Maybe the joker would have had cranes scene.

Anyone know if ledger was contracted for another film?

There could have been a lot of cliffhanger potential if it was known that the Joker was free again. When looked at as a whole, Joker just disappearing seemed odd.

IMO The Joker would've been either executed or moved outside of Gotham to another high security facility (Dent Act not taking any chances). It happens in the comics , but in reality, with the Joker caught for good I couldn't see him escaping their custody. Sure, we understand Heath can't reprise the role, but the character who turned Dent mad isn't even mentioned by name once, and I found that disappointing. As if he didn't even exist. It wouldn't have hurt at all.

If things were different, it would have been excellent if Heath's Joker served as the judge in the kangaroo court ala BTAS. But something he sets up on his own - against Bane's wishes and revelling in the truth of Harvey being exposed. Even just a few moments of Heath's Joker would've stolen the show away from Bane, who I found dull.

"I think you and I are destined to do this forever."

Back in 2008, the line resonated with people because they knew that, tragically, Heath Ledger would not be returning to play the role.

Still, I figured that this was Batman and Joker's first battle and we could imagine in future continuity that they'd be going up against each other again like the comics.  We just wouldn't see it in the movies for awhile.

So I think it's unfortunate now that The Dark Knight Rises has made it so that Batman and Joker never met up again.

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Mon, 13 Aug  2012, 18:13

That'd be a great idea for DTV animated film, you know...

Oh, and guess who's back?
You, of all people, should know... There's plenty wrong with me!