The Ending (SPOILERS)

Started by BatmAngelus, Mon, 23 Jul 2012, 21:12

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 1 Sep 2012, 15:30 #20 Last Edit: Sat, 1 Sep 2012, 15:32 by Batman88
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  1 Sep  2012, 12:30
Quote from: Batman88 on Sat,  1 Sep  2012, 08:05I like that, too. The fact that Bruce didn't die on the job but went off into the sunset. I do have issues with him quitting being the Batman, though. His is an on-going battle with crime and a great part of the appeal of the character is that he can't afford to lead a normal life because of that.
See, I think he would. I think he'd eventually experience what alcoholics refer to as a moment of clarity. He'd realize his parents would've wanted a better life for him, to be happy and fulfilled and he'd take stock of things and realize he's done more for Gotham City than anybody... and that it's time for the next generation to move in and take over. Somewhere in his mid/late 40's... yeah, I think he'd retire from Batman, retire from all public life, marry some chick (Selina's as good as anybody and better than most) and leave Gotham City forever as a happy and content man. Spider-Man would die on the job, Superman would outlive everybody but Batman... eventually he'd move on.

I see where you're coming from, buddy and I respect that. I don't think he ever would, though. I think the guy is too consumed by revenge that he only has brief "moments of clarity", as you call them. He has them, thinks to quit but then revenge and sense of guilt gain the upper hand again and he keeps being the Batman and fighting crime.

I would have preferred the film to have ended with Bruce realizing that his war against crime is on-going and have him come back to Gotham after a few years. To have the film hint at him returning after a few years. Anyway, that's just me, guys.  ;)
"Bats frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread."

Think I would've preferred this ending:
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

According to comic writer Peter David:
QuoteFun fact: Nolan originally wanted to kill off Batman. DC refused to sign off on it. I kind of wish they hadn't blocked that ending, because if you thought Bane snapping Batman's spine was painful, that's nothing compared to the back breaking contortions they had to go through to keep Bruce alive.He keeps the fact that he's fixed the autopilot secret from Lucius Fox. Why? On the off chance he may have to fake his own death?
http://www.peterdavid.net/2012/07/29/the-dark-knight-rises-like-a-souffle-but-then-a-loud-bang-makes-it-fall-my-spoiler-filled-comments/
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

So there was solid basis on the whole "Batman will/won't/should/shouldn't etc die" arguments/battles before the film was released. I don't know if it's common knowledge, but as I didn't follow the big news sites, I personally didn't know.

(OT, Great and balanced review, and it's nice to see someone like David defend Last Action Hero - really like that film)

Good review. Nice to know that the rumors about Nolan killing Batman were credible.

For me, I think I've pinpointed the moment when TDKRises (there's only one "TDKR" and Nolan had nothing to do with it) goes off the rails for me: The return of Batman. Hear me out. Before Batman comes back, I seriously like the movie. I like where Bruce is as a character, I like his interplay with Selina, I like the gathering storm on the horizon, Bane's conspiracies, all of it. The minute Batman comes back, the movie becomes a mess. But up to that point, all you really have to do is convince yourself Batman could be whipped into retirement if his girlfriend dies. If you can buy that, nothing in the movie's first 40'ish minutes is off the table. But once Batman comes back, the swiss cheese plot just gets out of control.

It's not hard for me to imagine the movie with Batman/Bruce staying dead at the end.  I suspect, when DC/WB refused to allow it, the Nolans probably didn't want to alter the main story too much, so they added Lucius Fox talking to the techs about the autopilot and the bookending Alfred/restaurant scenes.  The film was always going to end with Blake/JGL "rising" in the Batcave.

I actually saw the film a few weeks ago on DVD, didn't get a chance to see it in the cinemas. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it, wonderful direction and acting and the story was well spun. The ending was very strong, I must say I got a bit emotional with Bruce moving away from his "pain", as alluded in the film. Personally I always believe that Bruce should die in his old age, full of life with/or without a younger Batman to carry on the fight. Not only in the movies but in the comics as well. In fact it would be kinda cool if the entire Gotham knew, on his passing, that he was The Bat.

It would make for a sentimental and glorious send -off.

Just my two cents.

The worst thing about this ending is that Blake taking over the mantle as Batman or whoever means that there will never be peace in Gotham, and Bruce won't be there to guide Blake when the going gets tough.

Instead of faking his death and leaving the city for good, Bruce could've stayed behind and become a mentor to teach and assist Blake, like he does with Terry McGinnis in Batman Beyond. Because if you stop and think about it for a second, Blake is deprived of having the skills, training and guidance that he desperately needs to survive this never ending war on crime.

It's pathetic.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Batman Quits, or the Dark Knight Retires work better as the title.

You can also argue that as long as there is a need for Batman, Gotham will never be a safe place to live and the recovery from Bane and Talia's siege is only temporary. But hey, at least Bruce gets a "happy" ending, right? Because running away from his troubled home he swore to protect is totally fitting for his character.  ::)
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei