Arkham City prequel to be inspired by Silver Age comics

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 11 Jul 2012, 18:50

Previous topic - Next topic
I tried adding this as a news story earlier today, but I think I messed it up. Here's what I wrote:

Variety is reporting that Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment is planning a Silver Age-themed follow-up to Rocksteady's hit videogames Arkham Asylum (2009) and Arkham City (2011). The new game is said to be a prequel to the previous two titles and will focus on Batman's first encounter with the Joker.

Variety also indicates that the game will draw inspiration from the Silver Age era of comics (circa 1956-1970) and will feature several other superheroes from the Justice League of America. This is apparently part of a larger strategy by Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment to generate interest in their recently announced JLA feature film, which they are hoping to have in cinemas by 2015.

The untitled game is tentatively scheduled for release in 2014 at earliest.

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056432

I'm not sure what to think here. On the one hand I like the idea of giving the Arkham Verse a genesis, on the other, I smell studio meddling that may not bode well. I was hoping that they would expand the character switch idea so that you switch perspectives to various members of the batclan throughout the main story. Now it seems they'll be switching to...other JL heroes. Lame. I don't want to play the Green Lantern in a Batman game. Also, I hate that we'll be left hanging in the wake of Joker's death until Arkham 4. Lamer, considering Harley's Revenge left me with a bitter taste considering it's only aim was to take back the baby idea (studio interference again) and give us a crappier ending to Arkham City. 

Wed, 11 Jul 2012, 22:21 #2 Last Edit: Wed, 11 Jul 2012, 22:44 by Paul (ral)
Arkham City comics seem to be good sellers, so they may continue the story there.

SN - I edited the story with your forum post.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Wed, 11 Jul  2012, 20:01
I'm not sure what to think here. On the one hand I like the idea of giving the Arkham Verse a genesis, on the other, I smell studio meddling that may not bode well. I was hoping that they would expand the character switch idea so that you switch perspectives to various members of the batclan throughout the main story. Now it seems they'll be switching to...other JL heroes. Lame. I don't want to play the Green Lantern in a Batman game.

Agreed. I'd like the games to remain Batman. The news about Silver Age stylings sounds interesting - I just hope it doesn't mean a lighter tone. The Brave and the Bold was enough!

I'd prefer that they carried on the Arkham story. There were some good hints towards a sequel via the side missions, Azrael, Hush, etc..

I like the idea that we may have flashbacks to the first time Batman met The Joker. They mentioned in Harley's revenge he wasn't dealing to well with his death, they could play on that with the flashbacks.

I'm wondering who will voice the Joker now that Hamill's moved on. It's a tough act to follow.

add me to the list of people who hate unresolved cliffhangers. Though I'll admit what would have been the next logical step after Arkham City? Arkham planet?

Generally I don't like the notion of the plot going backwards but mind you that does open the possibilities of Batgirl and Robin.

I don't want to see the other DC heroes in anything more than cameos similar to Robin's in the second game. The premise of the first gave would have been ruined if the Green Lantern, Flash, and Superman were present. I'm all for a JLA game but not an Arkham one, that defeats the purpose of the villains ganging up on batman.

Agreed. My problem is not just aesthetic, it's not that I'm obsessed with keeping the games "dark" by having only Batman. Having characters with cosmic powers like GL and Supes defeats the purpose of Gotham needing Batman and his non-superpowered proteges.

I seriously hope Rocksteady keep on with Batman on videogames. I like the idea of a Silver Age Batman, sounds interesitng.

That said, I think it shoudl be unconnected to the Arkham games. I think that they should wait a bit for the next Arkham game, to make that into a decent trilogy of its own, without connection to any other Rocksteady-developed games.

Thats just my two cents, anwyays.
You, of all people, should know... There's plenty wrong with me!