6. Under The Red Hood
7. Return of the Joker
8. Batman (1966)
9. Batman Forever
10. Batman and Robin
11. Batman Begins
12. The Dark Knight
13. The Dark Knight Rises

I like them all for various reasons. Some just more than others. I love the first eight.

Just including the theatrically released films:
1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman '89
These are the only 2 Batman films thus far that I absolutely love.

3. Batman Begins
4. Batman Mask of the Phantasm
5. Batman Returns/The Dark Knight Rises
6. Batman '66
7. Batman & Robin
8. Batman Forever
9. Justice League
10. Batman v Superman (Theatrical Cut)

I can't be who I was three years ago or even three minutes ago. Thoughts evolve and times change. Some things stay consistent and some don't. It's been three years since I've done this, so it's time to revisit MY rankings. I'll omit the animated movies and focus on live action.

Currently:

1. Batman (1989)
2. Batman Returns
3. BvS: Dawn of Justice (UE)
4. Batman Begins
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. The Dark Knight
7. Batman Forever
8. Batman (1966)
9. Justice League
10. Batman and Robin

I have preferred B89 to BR for a while now, which isn't to say I think any less of Returns. I like that B89 is a pure encapsulation of what this Batman is all about, even while a solid chunk of screen time is rightfully devoted to the development of the Joker. We have Bruce laying flowers for his parents and remembering their deaths via flashback, and so much else, ticked off the checklist in a greatest hits type package. It's a true blockbuster. Elfman's BR score is still my overall favorite, but it's B89 that gave us the raw power of 'Descent into Mystery'.

Burton is where it all started for me, so the nostalgic pull is too great to place his films anywhere else but the top. And that's where they'll be staying.

BvS is an intense work of art that excited me in ways I didn't think would be possible again, with the focus on TDK Returns being a big factor in that. It hurts to let go of this incarnation, but generally speaking I find it hurts more to hold on. Affleck's Batman legacy is single-handedly assured with this one movie and the warehouse scene will always be an all-time classic. He'll be staying near the top, too.

The darker approach of Batman typically appeals to me more than the lighter side, so the Nolan trilogy is next on my revised list, even if it's not my exact preference. It is now eight years since the series ended, and if fan base rivalries haven't dissipated, they aren't something that bother me much anymore, anyway. Double standards are on individual reviewers, not the films themselves. That's just how I feel now.

I had been pounding a jungle drum to fever pitch for better fight sequences and a move away from realism so it didn't become the new norm. I think it's clear it's not the new norm. As such I think the trilogy slots into the Batman canon rather well with its own niche. It's the individual performances that I think are their real strengths, such as the supporting cast of Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and Gary Oldman.

Begins is my pick of the three and it has a better comic infusion. The biggest jump in my ranking is TDK Rises, from last to five. You may have noticed my favorable posting about Rises over time. I prefer it to TDK given the obstacles Bruce endures, and I like Hardy's Bane more than Ledger' Joker. TDK is overrated and has various narrative issues, along with the others, but nonetheless I respect it honors the character and belongs to a true era. BvS is still where it's at, though!

Kilmer is the most underrated incarnation of the lot. Forever is a joy to watch and re-watch, and has surprising depth. The same can be said of B66. I may have B66 at eight but Adam West is still my favorite Batman, especially when you include the entirety of his television series. Snyder's true JL would be up there with BvS, but alas...

I don't necessarily hate B&R but it doesn't do much for me.

I'm hoping Pattinson's run fits in somewhere around BvS and Begins. I think his niche will be being a young Batman still learning on the job, much like Earth One/Arkham Origins. The darkness levels will still be there. But what's exciting me the most currently is the dynamic between Bruce and Alfred, which Serkis has cited. If that dynamic is nailed you capture the heart and soul of the Batman universe.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 14 May  2020, 06:58
I can't be who I was three years ago or even three minutes ago. Thoughts evolve and times change. Some things stay consistent and some don't. It's been three years since I've done this, so it's time to revisit MY rankings. I'll omit the animated movies and focus on live action.

Currently:

1. Batman (1989)
2. Batman Returns
4. Batman Begins
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. The Dark Knight
7. Batman Forever
8. Batman (1966)
9. Justice League
10. Batman and Robin

I have preferred B89 to BR for a while now, which isn't to say I think any less of Returns. I like that B89 is a pure encapsulation of what this Batman is all about, even while a solid chunk of screen time is rightfully devoted to the development of the Joker. We have Bruce laying flowers for his parents and remembering their deaths via flashback, and so much else, ticked off the checklist in a greatest hits type package. It's a true blockbuster. Elfman's BR score is still my overall favorite, but it's B89 that gave us the raw power of 'Descent into Mystery'.

Burton is where it all started for me, so the nostalgic pull is too great to place his films anywhere else but the top. And that's where they'll be staying.

BvS is an intense work of art that excited me in ways I didn't think would be possible again, with the focus on TDK Returns being a big factor in that. It hurts to let go of this incarnation, but generally speaking I find it hurts more to hold on. Affleck's Batman legacy is single-handedly assured with this one movie and the warehouse scene will always be an all-time classic. He'll be staying near the top, too.

The darker approach of Batman typically appeals to me more than the lighter side, so the Nolan trilogy is next on my revised list, even if it's not my exact preference. It is now eight years since the series ended, and if fan base rivalries haven't dissipated, they aren't something that bother me much anymore, anyway. Double standards are on individual reviewers, not the films themselves. That's just how I feel now.

I had been pounding a jungle drum to fever pitch for better fight sequences and a move away from realism so it didn't become the new norm. I think it's clear it's not the new norm. As such I think the trilogy slots into the Batman canon rather well with its own niche. It's the individual performances that I think are their real strengths, such as the supporting cast of Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and Gary Oldman.

Begins is my pick of the three and it has a better comic infusion. The biggest jump in my ranking is TDK Rises, from last to five. You may have noticed my favorable posting about Rises over time. I prefer it to TDK given the obstacles Bruce endures, and I like Hardy's Bane more than Ledger' Joker. TDK is overrated and has various narrative issues, along with the others, but nonetheless I respect it honors the character and belongs to a true era. BvS is still where it's at, though!

Kilmer is the most underrated incarnation of the lot. Forever is a joy to watch and re-watch, and has surprising depth. The same can be said of B66. I may have B66 at eight but Adam West is still my favorite Batman, especially when you include the entirety of his television series. Snyder's true JL would be up there with BvS, but alas...

I don't necessarily hate B&R but it doesn't do much for me.

I'm hoping Pattinson's run fits in somewhere around BvS and Begins. I think his niche will be being a young Batman still learning on the job, much like Earth One/Arkham Origins. The darkness levels will still be there. But what's exciting me the most currently is the dynamic between Bruce and Alfred, which Serkis has cited. If that dynamic is nailed you capture the heart and soul of the Batman universe.
We're on the same page as far as Batman 89 vs Returns. The standout Keaton Batman moments are in Batman 89. There is a better focus on his character, there are some great iconic Batman images in it that are completely absent in Returns for some reason. I really like Penguin and especially Catwoman in Returns, but Nicholson's Joker is my favorite villain between the two films. Lastly, I think Batman 89 builds to a great climax whereas one of my biggest problems with a Returns is how anticlimactic the ending is.

While I'm here my ranking goes:
1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman 89
3. Batman Begins
4.Mask of the Phantasm
5. Batman Returns
6. The Dark Knight Rises
7. Batman & Robin
8. Batman Forever
9. Batman v Superman (Theatrical Cut)

If I had to include Batman The Movie it'd probably be between 5 and 6.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 14 May  2020, 06:58The biggest jump in my ranking is TDK Rises, from last to five. You may have noticed my favorable posting about Rises over time. I prefer it to TDK given the obstacles Bruce endures, and I like Hardy's Bane more than Ledger' Joker. TDK is overrated and has various narrative issues, along with the others, but nonetheless I respect it honors the character and belongs to a true era.
I think the reason TDKRises has increased so much in my own estimation is that (1) Batman needs to have limitations and common human weakness and (2) he needs to overcome those things. That's what TDKRises shows him doing.

I can understand where it's not for everyone, especially with the pacing. But I rather enjoy watching Batman fight, fail and rise again.

Begins had a bit of that but it's mostly absent in TDK. Batman might make shortsighted choices in TDK but he never really shows any basic human frailties. And there's nothing wrong with a movie where Batman never shows any frailties. I just like it best when he does.

I would probably not enjoy TDKRises anywhere near as much if Batman didn't show real human limitations.

Plus, the movie "ends" Batman. That version of the character died in the nuclear blast and, in so doing, he found the end he always wanted while still saving the city one last time. I like the idea that individual heroes might fall but the battle never ends and other people can take up the fight. It brings fullness to the idea Bruce had in TDK of replacing Batman with Dent or telling Blake in TDKRises that "Batman could be anybody". The idea is bigger than the man.

Thu, 14 May 2020, 16:39 #35 Last Edit: Thu, 14 May 2020, 16:41 by BatmanFurst
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 14 May  2020, 13:03
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 14 May  2020, 06:58The biggest jump in my ranking is TDK Rises, from last to five. You may have noticed my favorable posting about Rises over time. I prefer it to TDK given the obstacles Bruce endures, and I like Hardy's Bane more than Ledger' Joker. TDK is overrated and has various narrative issues, along with the others, but nonetheless I respect it honors the character and belongs to a true era.
I think the reason TDKRises has increased so much in my own estimation is that (1) Batman needs to have limitations and common human weakness and (2) he needs to overcome those things. That's what TDKRises shows him doing.

I can understand where it's not for everyone, especially with the pacing. But I rather enjoy watching Batman fight, fail and rise again.

Begins had a bit of that but it's mostly absent in TDK. Batman might make shortsighted choices in TDK but he never really shows any basic human frailties. And there's nothing wrong with a movie where Batman never shows any frailties. I just like it best when he does.

I would probably not enjoy TDKRises anywhere near as much if Batman didn't show real human limitations.

Plus, the movie "ends" Batman. That version of the character died in the nuclear blast and, in so doing, he found the end he always wanted while still saving the city one last time. I like the idea that individual heroes might fall but the battle never ends and other people can take up the fight. It brings fullness to the idea Bruce had in TDK of replacing Batman with Dent or telling Blake in TDKRises that "Batman could be anybody". The idea is bigger than the man.
I'm still not 100% on board with a good chunk of The Dark Knight Rises. However, one thing I've come to appreciate is Bruce's arc in the film. I just love when filmmakers take these iconic characters and put them dark situations (with the exception of Luke Skywalker). It reminds me of Spider-Man 3 a bit. I think it was ballsy of Raimi to take a recognizable character like Peter Parker and turn him into an egotistical douche who's hellbent on revenge. It's kinda the same thing in Rises where Nolan took an icon like Batman and turned him into a broken man that welcomes death. Him having to get the fear of death back and wanting live his life is a good arc for the character. It's probably the best thing about the film for me.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Thu, 14 May  2020, 16:39
I'm still not 100% on board with a good chunk of The Dark Knight Rises. However, one thing I've come to appreciate is Bruce's arc in the film. I just love when filmmakers take these iconic characters and put them dark situations (with the exception of Luke Skywalker). It reminds me of Spider-Man 3 a bit. I think it was ballsy of Raimi to take a recognizable character like Peter Parker and turn him into an egotistical douche who's hellbent on revenge. It's kinda the same thing in Rises where Nolan took an icon like Batman and turned him into a broken man that welcomes death. Him having to get the fear of death back and wanting live his life is a good arc for the character. It's probably the best thing about the film for me.

I like the themes that Rises has going for it, and find them more meaningful and consequential than TDK. A key theme I've picked up on is apathy and complacency ultimately being the same dangerous mindsets that breed problems. When Bruce is locked away in Wayne Manor he has a lack of enthusiasm or concern with the world around him. The politicians and the police are satisfied with their situation and don't feel like they need to try any harder. Both required Bane to wake them up.

My definition of a prison is something you can't leave if you wanted to. Bruce could have left Wayne Manor at any time, but he chose not to. Bruce had to be thrown into a less comfortable prison to truly wake up and summon the fire to escape.

I like that Rises deals with the aftermath of decisions, with the key theme of exposing hoaxes and dealing with the truth. I also like how it makes commentary on freedom over fear, finally choosing to head out and confront a situation. At some point you have to get out of your bubble as it's better to die on your feet than exist on your knees.

Alfred leaving Bruce, Bane breaking Batman, climbing from the pit, Batman's final words to Gordon and the bomb detonating are strong Bruce/Batman moments that I believe eclipse anything from TDK, making up for any pacing issues from the second act. But the second act does feature Bane, whose threat level I appreciate.

His death is abrupt but "death does not wait for you to be ready! Death is not considerate, or fair." Which leads to say the Begins references were done rather well. The Ras hallucination was good, but the flashback to Gordon with young Bruce was the best.

That scene alone gave the films a sense of completion.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 14 May  2020, 06:58
1. Batman (1989)
2. Batman Returns
4. Batman Begins
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. The Dark Knight
7. Batman Forever
8. Batman (1966)
9. Justice League
10. Batman and Robin
Updated:

1. Batman (1989)
2. Batman Returns
4. Zack Snyder's Justice League
5. Batman Begins
6. The Dark Knight Rises
7. The Dark Knight
8. Batman Forever
9. Batman (1966)
10. Batman and Robin

The previous list was created in a time when ZSJL was yet to become a reality.

Henceforth I won't be including the Whedon cut on any official rankings.