Burton's Batman 3 fan-comic

Started by Azrael, Mon, 4 Jun 2012, 22:13

Previous topic - Next topic
Wed, 31 Jul 2013, 20:42 #10 Last Edit: Wed, 31 Jul 2013, 20:47 by SilentEnigma
The person responsible for the artworks at the top of this thread says he recommenced work on this.

QuoteI'm making a graphic novel that will be titled Batman III. What is it about and why is it number three? The first two films, Batman and Batman Returns, took place in a universe that was created by Tim Burton. Joel Schumacher directed Batman Forever, which was the third act of the Batman saga. It was part of the same continuity however it took place in a much different universe than the first two films.

We're going back to Tim Burton's universe to continue telling the real story. Batman III takes place about ten months after the events of Batman Returns.

The release date is still unknown. There will be no charge, it will be available to download for free! Make sure you watch me for updates and more concept art.

Before anyone thinks anything negative about this art.... yes, to most (especially those that can draw at a similar level when talking on the phone) it might look amateurish, maybe on the same level as the ballpen artwork some future artists did on their notebooks at school when they were bored. Not to mention... this is just a concept sketch..

But... it shows love and passion for Tim Burton's Batman, and when it comes to fanart and fanfic, it doesn't have to be on the same level as these 10 pages by the pro on the previous page. One can see all sort of stuff getting praise, his efforts are worth a look too

LINK: http://j-meddle.deviantart.com/art/Batman-III-comic-book-Batman-concept-art-388425043

Fri, 2 Aug 2013, 16:48 #11 Last Edit: Fri, 2 Aug 2013, 16:52 by Gotham Knight
Quote from: SilentEnigma on Wed, 31 Jul  2013, 20:42
The person responsible for the artworks at the top of this thread says he recommenced work on this.

QuoteI'm making a graphic novel that will be titled Batman III. What is it about and why is it number three? The first two films, Batman and Batman Returns, took place in a universe that was created by Tim Burton. Joel Schumacher directed Batman Forever, which was the third act of the Batman saga. It was part of the same continuity however it took place in a much different universe than the first two films.

We're going back to Tim Burton's universe to continue telling the real story. Batman III takes place about ten months after the events of Batman Returns.

The release date is still unknown. There will be no charge, it will be available to download for free! Make sure you watch me for updates and more concept art.

Before anyone thinks anything negative about this art.... yes, to most (especially those that can draw at a similar level when talking on the phone) it might look amateurish, maybe on the same level as the ballpen artwork some future artists did on their notebooks at school when they were bored. Not to mention... this is just a concept sketch..

But... it shows love and passion for Tim Burton's Batman, and when it comes to fanart and fanfic, it doesn't have to be on the same level as these 10 pages by the pro on the previous page. One can see all sort of stuff getting praise, his efforts are worth a look too

LINK: http://j-meddle.deviantart.com/art/Batman-III-comic-book-Batman-concept-art-388425043

Wonderful!! Batman looks great! Can't wait to see it. And Free? Very generous to donate one's time. I like how the suit looks like a marriage between the muscle grouping of 89 and the 'deco tech' aerodynamics of the Returns suit. The best of what both offered in menace and functionality.

Thu, 5 Sep 2013, 22:07 #12 Last Edit: Thu, 5 Sep 2013, 22:09 by SilentEnigma
Speaking of fan-made stuff, some designs for a supposed Batman Returns inspired "Animated Series". It's of the "WTF" variety of fan fiction (Electro Shreck...? Walken would have loved to play this), but very good drawing skill...

"Animated Series" Gallery

Yes, I'm a keen follower of this artist's work on 'Deviantart'.  The 'Shreck' design is particularly impressive and inspired.  I hope the artist in question continues using 'Batman Returns', and perhaps some of the other Burton/Schumacher films, as inspiration for his designs and overall ideas.  I know he's suggested he might take on 'Sugar & Spice' shortly.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Now I noticed that he hasn't written anything in the way of a synopsis, story idea etc. his ideas are primarily conceptual and visual. It's just a design of Shreck looking cool, no backstory of how he was revived, it leaves the rest to the imagination. I like that. I retract the "WTF" - there are so many misguided fanfics out there by people who should know better so when I see someone creating too many original characters for an established IP I expect the usual stuff about Mary Sues, "shipping" etc.

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Sat,  7 Sep  2013, 23:14
Now I noticed that he hasn't written anything in the way of a synopsis, story idea etc. his ideas are primarily conceptual and visual. It's just a design of Shreck looking cool, no backstory of how he was revived, it leaves the rest to the imagination. I like that. I retract the "WTF" - there are so many misguided fanfics out there by people who should know better so when I see someone creating too many original characters for an established IP I expect the usual stuff about Mary Sues, "shipping" etc.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'misguided fanfics'.  After all, those fanfics are simply one individual's interpretation of a character.  Others can take it or leave it but good for them if they want to express themselves publicly.  I might not care for all the Batman-related fanfics out there but I'm glad they exist and I derive enjoyment out at least a few of them.

Besides, what are Burton, Schumacher and Nolan's films but the ultimate 'Batman' fanfics?  Just because they're graced with a mega-film budget it doesn't make their interpretations any more valid than yours or mine, or any other regular joe schmoe on the net.

Sometimes I write something, and then re-read and realize it might have had an unfortunate and totally unintended implication. Of course I do not refer to fanfics that are written with care i.e. they play around with the universe and the characters, but don't in any way abuse them. What we have read here is obviously the good examples.

I mostly refer to stuff that gets so wild with the material that it's almost Batman in name only.

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Sun,  8 Sep  2013, 01:21
Sometimes I write something, and then re-read and realize it might have had an unfortunate and totally unintended implication. Of course I do not refer to fanfics that are written with care i.e. they play around with the universe and the characters, but don't in any way abuse them. What we have read here is obviously the good examples.

I mostly refer to stuff that gets so wild with the material that it's almost Batman in name only.
Fair enough but isn't that the criticism that often gets levelled at 'Batman Returns'.  ;)