15 years of Batman and Robin

Started by riddler, Wed, 4 Jan 2012, 15:05

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  3 Nov  2017, 12:52I got to see Forever in the theatres, and as a result, there was a greater sense of magic for me...especially being a *youngin'. I had (and still have) the official movie book, several story books and action figures - Robin, Riddler and Two-Face.

I was all over it. I was very interested to see B&R for the simple reason it was more Batman. But yeah, I preferred Forever and still do. It's one of the most underrated pieces of Batman media.

*Not a form of onion, but a young person.
I was pretty disengaged from Batman by the time B&R came out. I adored BF but the lead-up to B&R didn't capture my attention. I wasn't one of those was "let down" by B&R because I never gave a crap about it in the first place. It's really only been in the last few years that I've been able to enjoy it at all.

But BF... man, that was a summer TO REMEMBER. History may not remember this but the Batman fanbase was up for the game in a big way in the summer of 1995. This revisionist nonsense of vast segments of the core Batman audience rebelling against the movie is wishful thinking. Some comic book pros criticized it, yeah. But core audiences and wide audiences were both on board with Schumacher's vision in 1995. People tend to forget that but it's true.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  3 Nov  2017, 12:52
I got to see Forever in the theatres, and as a result, there was a greater sense of magic for me...especially being a *youngin'. I had (and still have) the official movie book, several story books and action figures - Robin, Riddler and Two-Face.

I was all over it. I was very interested to see B&R for the simple reason it was more Batman. But yeah, I preferred Forever and still do. It's one of the most underrated pieces of Batman media.

*Not a form of onion, but a young person.

I felt the same. Batman Forever was the first Batman movie I got to see. At the time, it was the first time I experienced my own Batmania at the cinema.

But over the years, I lost interest in that particular film as I got older. I never exactly jumped on the hate bandwagon, but I thought the few times I saw it several years after it was first released was silly. Watching it again a few years ago however made it appreciate what they were going for in terms of character development. It's flawed, but the intentions were good.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  4 Nov  2017, 00:20
But BF... man, that was a summer TO REMEMBER. History may not remember this but the Batman fanbase was up for the game in a big way in the summer of 1995. This revisionist nonsense of vast segments of the core Batman audience rebelling against the movie is wishful thinking. Some comic book pros criticized it, yeah. But core audiences and wide audiences were both on board with Schumacher's vision in 1995. People tend to forget that but it's true.
Being a kid makes things seems bigger and cooler than they usually are. But nonetheless, Batman Forever was a special time. I will never forget the hype. Lots of chatter at school about the film, and how some kid claimed he watched the film on VHS every night. I don't necessarily believe he did - but I will say we spoke about the film nearly every single day. That's the type of excitement and wonder I'm talking about.

It was a perfect capsule of its time. Jim Carrey is a scumbag and I have no time for him now as a person or whatever else. But as a kid? Wow man. This was the funny guy I watched in The Mask, Dumb and Dumber and Ace Ventura playing THE RIDDLER? I was all over it. It was his time.

You simply cannot undervalue the power of that Seal music video. The song is still mysterious and powerful. I've since dropped U2 like a hot potato, but their song for the film was also brilliant. Again, the 90s era was strongly represented with these two songs. It's the vibe.

Batman/Bruce Wayne was depicted as a cool guy - more so than Burton's depiction. Not a putdown or anything, but it's just the truth. Take a look at his relationship with Chase, who has to be one of the most beautiful Bat women ever. I used to think Batman was a tad cowardly or whatever when he encountered her on the rooftop - when he turns away. But these days? Nope. He's a player.

She was interested in him and he knew it. It soon reversed and HE was actively pursuing HER. He visits her apartment, invites her to the circus, attends Edward's party with her, visits her as Batman and then invites her to Wayne Manor. Regardless of what happened in B&R, he ends the film locking lips with a smile on his face. Either way you look at it, once Kilmer's Bruce decided to go pursue Chase, he didn't look back. Chase dropping her gown on the rooftop was what sealed the deal IMO. A horny teenager? Who cares? He's a man and he doesn't have to explain himself to anyone.

The action was a huge drawcard. We all know the deal there, so I won't elaborate.

I will go through this part, though. Riddler destroying the bat cave. As a youngster, this hurt me. It was a complete violation of the character and his world. I hated watching it. Especially with the glee in which it was done. These days I can see how the film created a brilliant finale. The bat cave destroyed. Dick Grayson ran away. Chase has been kidnapped..and Riddler only grows in strength. One of the most dire situations for a Batman film when you think about it. Bravo.

Tommy Lee Jones goofed around, but whatever. There are many different incantations of these characters and he's just one more. Take it or leave it. It's not a huge deal for me when the premise of Forever is to sit back and have a good time. It is what it is.

For a two hour film, they certainly made something that captured my imagination as a kid. That's what we need to hold onto. It's only when we get older do we reassess our past and reject objects of 'shame'. Which isn't always a bad thing. But it's also sometimes unnecessary.

@The Dark Knight  lol what did Jim Carrey do to you that you're calling him a scumbag?

Quote from: arnaud187 on Sat,  4 Nov  2017, 01:50
@The Dark Knight  lol what did Jim Carrey do to you that you're calling him a scumbag?
Google Jim's deceased ex-girlfriend Cathriona White and see for yourself. Calling STD Jim a scumbag is putting it mildly.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  4 Nov  2017, 01:10
For a two hour film, they certainly made something that captured my imagination as a kid. That's what we need to hold onto. It's only when we get older do we reassess our past and reject objects of 'shame'. Which isn't always a bad thing. But it's also sometimes unnecessary.

The funny thing is that for me it was the exact opposite. Disliked it as a kid, appreciated it as an adult.

I had seen Batman and Batman Returns in the theater, and Batman Forever left me with a sour taste. For many years I maintained a love/hate relationship with it - I liked things about it (the production design, the score), got some merch (still have the Kenner Batmobile and Batwing, souvenir books and mags) but never felt it as "my Batman" the same way I did with Burton's. Not even close.

It was several years after, late 00s, when I re-evaluated it. A mix of nostalgia and the visual "realism" of the Nolan films outstaying its welcome. Compared to that, I preferred a throwback to something more lighthearted and colorful with great visuals and interesting designs.

Nowadays, one of the most anachronistic things for me is to see someone bash on these films, like it's still 1995 or 1997.

Loved it as a kid.
Grew out of love with it.
Loved it again.

It's so good to re-discover things like that. I think Forever works for me because of the mix you perfectly describe. It's not the comedy channel and it's not the horror channel. It's something in between and I enjoy the balance it manages to strike.

When I say Kilmer was cooler, I mean in terms of him being the public face of Wayne Enterprises and kicking ass in a more stylistic way. He has a fleet of vintage cars and drives them around town. When he attends the Nygmatech function he's a big star and not a weirdo recluse. As soon as he arrives, Sugar says how handsome he looks. The reporters seek his opinion on various things. He's a respected identity.

Truth be told, that's the template I prefer these days, much like Affleck's Bruce. Someone who is a big name celebrity who happens to run a business and attend parties, even if it's only to pursue a lead or find out more information on something. I think that template is a more complete version of the character, much like B:TAS. Clark Kent works at the Daily Planet and Bruce Wayne runs Wayne Enterprises.

But I still find Keaton's Bruce really interesting and I love how secretive he is. Affleck may be my number one Batman these days, but B89/BR are still my top two films in the franchise. There's something so timeless and unforgettable about them.

Quote from: Azrael on Tue, 20 Jun  2017, 20:53

Well, now it's 20 years! (no reason to start a new thread)

I agree with several opinions expressed in the posts above. Nowadays, this movie is fun. Of all the big-budget movies of its era, successful (Titanic, Independence Day, Men in Black, Twister, Armageddon) or not (remember The Avengers, Lost in Space, Battlefield Earth?) this one is still one of the most watchable.

There isn't really such a thing as a boring, or forgettable, Batman movie.

And five years later – happy 25th anniversary to Batman & Robin!

Should Chase Meridian have returned? She basically could have easily had the role Julie did have, aside from already knowing Bruce was Batman, but that might have been too underwhelming for, and misuse of, Kidman after having a bigger role before in BF and also felt weird for Batman to mostly, though briefly, be interested in and lusting after someone else. BF did seem to try to say that Chase was the one.

Also, could it have been cool if B&R had also used "Kiss from a Rose," its meaning with the film having Ivy now seen as being pretty different?

I wouldn't have disliked her returning, but I do think it was better for Clooney to have someone new to play against. The other supporting cast provided enough connective tissue to the past movies. Some relationships are harder to believe after recasting, which unfortunately is the case for me with Rachel Dawes. In B&R's instance I think moving on and going for an entirely new character was for the best.