Story idea

Started by The Dark Knight, Mon, 26 Dec 2011, 05:02

Previous topic - Next topic
Mon, 26 Dec 2011, 05:02 Last Edit: Mon, 26 Dec 2011, 05:19 by The Dark Knight
If I were ever to write a Batman story, it'd have to have something different. Something that hasn't been done before in depth and presents a real challenge to Batman where he's out of his comfort zone. I'd want it to be scary, funny and sad. Paying tribute to the rich history in some way. I was thinking about what scenario could interest me, and then I recalled this post I made back in 2009. A scenario that goes above and beyond Nolan realism, but in a world where it's full on gothic and fantasy.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 11 Dec  2009, 07:48
Quote from: phantom stranger on Fri, 11 Dec  2009, 05:41
Take the Batmobile, for example. Even if you could build one without anyone finding out, someone would eventually follow you back home.
I've always thought that. Going to and from Wayne Manor in the Batmobile each night really is rolling the dice. No matter how stealthy you may be - or how hard you try, eventually someone is going to follow you back, place a tracer or whatever. It's mostly out of your hands.

It's a big City out there with lots of people in it. People talk and people observe. And you can't tell me after operating in Gotham for years, Batman is rather complacent about the whole thing.

And that's just with people. Technology really would complicate things.

Given his vigilante status, in reality they'd view the entire Gotham area via satellite with heat vision capabilities. He wouldn't even know. You'd have footage of his movements to and from Wayne Manor and it would be all over the news.

Say they had just began the monitoring, and they didn't know where he lived - and Batman was in Gotham and *somehow* aware of this, he's still going nowhere. He'd be driving around all night and all the police would be after him. That really would be it. He's caught. He couldn't drive back to Wayne Manor. And it would eventually be morning.

I think it's a cool concept and would love to see DC tackle it.

You could have this with no lead in, Batman just out on the street and realising, OMG, what on Earth do I do? Thinking on the spot. I'm not sure how he'd get to that realisation at the moment, but it would be dynamite. Or perhaps a lead in where something happened, ala being framed for the Ice Princess in BR. The City being on a lockdown afterwards, hunting Batman from then on with all the resources and technology they have. And Bruce is forced to go back in to deal with it by some 'subtle' villain ala Penguin in BR. Showing long term problem solving and detective work.

Either way it would be interesting to get into Bruce's internal dialogue about the problem. You could have signal scrambler gadgets, etc. Using a penthouse as a base.  Scenes with him being pursued in the Batmobile via police, rigs the car to blow and escapes via the deep sewers, away from surveillance, for example. Having to get things sorted out and back home before dawn breaks, with the real truth coming out at an emotional cost.

Yeah there is a lot about Batman that doesn't stand up in reality, despite Batman being the most realistic hero.

Im not fond of things that "deconstruct" characters and their worlds...but done right with the proper level of restraint, then I could see it working.

Yeah, but Batman first appeared in the pulp era, decades before police had the technology to do proper forensic work, let alone use satellites! I think part of the Batman fantasy is that he's always one or two steps ahead when it comes to the science involved in the equipment he uses.

This is a movie concept I want to develop. Just need help with the script and if you want to throw in ideas i'm open to them.

Batman: Rebirth – Origin of Batman, Villain The Riddler. Bruce is traumatized by the death of his wealthy parents at the hands of a ruthless crime ridden city. Plagued by the promise he made that day, he travel the world seeking training to help his city, the only way he knows how as the Batman. The Riddler has outwitted the police before but never like this, when he kidnaps a doctor to black to blackmail a well known business man. Batman takes the case but is pursued by a metropolis news report by the name of Kara Harris of the Daily Planet. Will Batman solve this puzzle or will The Riddler outwit the world's greatest detective.