Apparently The Film Takes Place In 1986...

Started by Kamdan, Sun, 30 Oct 2011, 06:53

Previous topic - Next topic
A poster on IMDB noticed the dates that were on the editions of the papers throughout the film, particularly one addressing that it was November 7th on a Friday, which is what day it fell on in 1986. Thought it'd be nice to share, since November is just around the corner, which I always felt that's when the film was supposed to take place, late October to November. It's also interesting to note that the film's first draft was dated
October 20, 1986.

Interesting.

Though I will always view B89/BR as timeless worlds. Almost like The Grinch - which took place within a speckle on a snowflake. 

Tue, 8 Nov 2011, 20:40 #2 Last Edit: Tue, 8 Nov 2011, 20:58 by GothamAlleys
Good try but incorrect. If you look carefully in one of the newspapers, one of the headlines says "Universal Service urged by Truman in Princeton talk: President speaks from steps of Nassau Hall at the Close of Bicentennial festivities". Truman was a president between 1945–1953 which would match Gotham's WWII architecture of Industrial America. Of course then we have computers and 80s cars, which adds to the theory that the whole thing just takes place in a different reality

However this event actually happened in history on June 17, 1947 - http://www.princeton.edu/paw/archive_new/PAW01-02/12-0327/editor.html

And as you noticed, even tho it happened on June 17th, it hasnt appeared as cover story in Princeton Alumni Weekly until July 4th, '47 which was FRIDAY

Fascinating.  I had no idea the newspaper in that shot had 1940s articles.  Great analysis, GothamAlleys.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Sat, 12 Nov 2011, 01:15 #5 Last Edit: Sat, 12 Nov 2011, 05:38 by Kamdan
Very interesting. November 7th fell on a Friday in 1947 too.

Sat, 12 Nov 2011, 04:48 #6 Last Edit: Sat, 12 Nov 2011, 04:52 by The Dark Knight
Brilliant as always, GothamAlleys. You have presented the facts, and they cannot be disputed. As someone commented on your site, "Its like if 1947 somehow "survived" up to 1989". That's probably the best ways of explaining it, in my opinion. There is always something to talk about with the Burton films. Are there any dates on the BR newspapers that give clues to the time period?

Thanks TDK, and I also agree with that one comment. As for BR, I havent realy looked into it. I think as far as the setting, the BR Gotham is a very different one in certain ways and strays away from the gangster movie type, but of course there are still elements of it like striped suit of Shreck, paper boy on the street and some other small things, but in comparison to B89 this is just an echo of that setting

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 12 Nov  2011, 04:48
Are there any dates on the BR newspapers that give clues to the time period?
i have two production-used newspaper props from returns... no dates on either.

Quote from: d_osborn on Mon, 14 Nov  2011, 01:46
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 12 Nov  2011, 04:48
Are there any dates on the BR newspapers that give clues to the time period?
i have two production-used newspaper props from returns... no dates on either.
Ah, alright. Cheers. With BR, I really feel that "speckle on a snowflake" concept. More so than B89, obviously. As if it's taking place in a vacuum seperate from reality. The main city centre at night really showcases this for me. 'Matchbox City' is a term often used to dismiss and critisize BR's Gotham City, but I firmly believe it only adds to the charm and expressionism. As if this world is it for the people of Gotham. The walls are closed in tight and you can't escape. The idea that no other world exists outside. Gotham being the universe.