Beware the Batman

Started by BatmAngelus, Tue, 4 Oct 2011, 23:54

Previous topic - Next topic
This reminds me I need to finish it. They aired the last several episodes in a marathon at like 3 in the morning one Saturday and that was it. No repeat, no on demand, and I didn't buy the DVD. The way Cartoon Network handled it made me lose interest even though the show itself was really good. I will only be played with so much.

Anthony Ruivivar was a really good Batman but no one gave him a shot because he wasn't Kevin Conroy. I would like to see him get another project.

Quote from: Catwoman on Mon,  6 Jun  2016, 15:10
The way Cartoon Network handled it made me lose interest even though the show itself was really good. I will only be played with so much.
This is true. The show was doubted from the beginning, mostly due to the animation style. I'm thinking it could be a hidden gem in the franchise. I'm looking forward to having a fresh look at it.

If I recall correctly YOU were one of those doubters lol

Quote from: Catwoman on Tue,  7 Jun  2016, 10:54
If I recall correctly YOU were one of those doubters lol
Initially maybe. But I do recall saying 'give it a go' at one point.  :P

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue,  7 Jun  2016, 07:46
Quote from: Catwoman on Mon,  6 Jun  2016, 15:10
The way Cartoon Network handled it made me lose interest even though the show itself was really good. I will only be played with so much.
This is true. The show was doubted from the beginning, mostly due to the animation style. I'm thinking it could be a hidden gem in the franchise. I'm looking forward to having a fresh look at it.
This has been my Batman focus recently. I hadn't seen half of these episodes at all until now, as I couldn't muster the motivation to do so. Here's some of my general thoughts:

First of all, this show had a number of obstacles for sections of the audience, namely the animation style. It really grew on me, but for some they couldn't get past it. I like the dark pallete and tonally the show doesn't overdo the jokes. It's actually quite restrained and serious.

In that regard I can see why younger audiences perhaps didn't connect with it, or why it didn't sell as many toys as something like The Brave and the Bold. Shunning the big villains and focusing on the obscure underbelly was a brave choice, and also probably turned people off who were holding out for the classic rogues. Katana substituting Robin was another brave choice, plus with her connection with Alfred being stronger than her relationship with Batman. But that's something that grows in time. She's someone already highly competent which further creates a different type of partner dynamic. That's the entire message I have with BTB: it's not bad, it's just different.

The continuity between episodes was smartly constructed. It's all intertwined and is always building towards something, rather than being standalone. I see that as a big strength, especially if you haven't seen the show before and are looking to do a binge watch.

This Bruce is a cool dude. Relaxed but focused. Batman himself is also more of a detective. I love this Alfred, and it reminds me if you nail the Alfred/Bruce dynamic more often than not you'll have a Batman good show. They're the real heart and soul of the Batman universe. BTB's Alfred uses guns, but the comic incarnation has done so before. His MI6 past adds a different flavor. So does this version of Wayne Manor, which I think is one of the best things about the show. It's a highly secured fortress, the most protected version of the location in memory. The secret entrance to the batcave via the fireplace is exactly the type of thing I like seeing. Just a cool place.

Ending the series on a cliffhanger isn't necessarily a bad thing. This Batman started by saying he worked alone, and he ended by forming the Outsiders. That's an arc and a conclusion, regardless if it was cut short. If BTB was more mainstream it possibly wouldn't have been cancelled. But then it wouldn't be what it is, which is something unique and fascinating. While it lasts Beware offers a stable, clear vision for 26 episodes, which is still a lot more content than the Burton era when you put things in that context. We really are blessed to have so many interpretations of Batman, and for the most part they're all good in their own way.