Batman: Gates of Gotham

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 2 Sep 2011, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic
Issue 3 comes out this month. Has anyone been following this series? So far it reminds me a little of the 'Destroyer' storyline from 1992.

And I love Trevor McCarthy's depiction of Gotham.

Fri, 2 Sep 2011, 22:35 #1 Last Edit: Fri, 2 Sep 2011, 22:46 by Paul (ral)
I haven't been following it - but I just bought the 1st one.

I should have it read tomorrow.

Well I just read the first issue...and what a corker.

I really liked the contrast of differing times in Gotham. The optimism of the past where the ambition to compete with Metropolis is a driving factor in the Wayne family...

...compared with the chaos that Gotham has become where Batman's driving factor is to contain the chaos.

Great stuff!

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri,  2 Sep  2011, 21:32
Issue 3 comes out this month. Has anyone been following this series? So far it reminds me a little of the 'Destroyer' storyline from 1992.

And I love Trevor McCarthy's depiction of Gotham.

That's Furst's Gotham. Was it just in the flashbacks? Or did the reboot set the city back?

GOG is a 5 part mini- series and set before the reboot.

Fri, 9 Sep 2011, 19:54 #5 Last Edit: Fri, 9 Sep 2011, 19:58 by Silver Nemesis
GBglide , if you're a fan of Furst's Gotham then you'll definitely like this story. It's all about the history of the city's architecture and the part the aristocratic families played in its construction. It's a very good story in general (so far). But it's especially enjoyable if you're a fan of Furst's Gotham.

Have you read #2 yet, ral?

Yeah, read it a few nights ago. Very good...I'm definitely interested to see where this goes.

Great seeing the "old" families explored!

QuoteGreat seeing the "old" families explored!

Especially Theodore Cobblepot as the Mayor of Gotham. I know Snyder's a fan of the Burton films – he even ranked them above Nolan's movies in an interview he gave a few months ago – so perhaps this is a nod to Batman Returns?

All in all, Gates of Gotham is shaping up to be my favourite Batman story of 2011. Quality writing and artwork, plus an intriguing narrative that effectively blends the old with the new. Top notch stuff.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri,  9 Sep  2011, 23:13
I know Snyder's a fan of the Burton films – he even ranked them above Nolan's movies in an interview he gave a few months ago
Great to hear. A very sensible man.

I finished reading the final part tonight. After the final stage is set in part 4...part 5 wraps everything up nicely.

I'm not the greatest reader...it takes a good story to hold my attention - this run had me hooked. The story had a great flow (Scott Snyder and Kyle Higgins reveal elements with great poise) and the artwork by Trevor McCarthy was great..I particulary liked the way Batman (Dick) was drawn.