Justice League (2011 onwards)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 31 Aug 2011, 19:41

Previous topic - Next topic
Wed, 31 Aug 2011, 19:41 Last Edit: Wed, 31 Aug 2011, 21:27 by Paul (ral)
I know there's already a thread about the post-Flashpoint reboot. But in the interest of expanding discussion on the comics, I thought it might be good to have ongoing threads about individual titles.

So has anyone read JL #1 yet? I liked it. It was quite simple and expositional, but I guess that's the whole point. They're trying to reach a new audience. And in that regard it was a refreshing change of pace.

It's interesting they chose to focus on Green Lantern and Batman in this first issue. Maybe they were trying to appeal to the movie crowd, what with the Green Lantern film having been released earlier in the year.

It's hard to form an opinion based on this one issue, but I'd say it's off to a decent start.

I read it earlier today. I really loved it. Jim Lee's artwork was sharp and, as you have said Silver Nemesis, Johns writing was simple but in a very clean and efficient way.

For the record, I have decided to go digital on JL (though am buying print of other titles).

I got a digital copy too. I generally prefer physically holding books/comics when I read them, but I mostly wanted to read this one for its historic value. It turned out to be a surprisingly fun read though.

QuoteJim Lee's artwork was sharp and, as you have said Silver Nemesis, Johns writing was simple but in a very clean and efficient way.

I really liked Lee's artwork in this issue too. It was vibrant and colourful, very much in keeping with the whole 'accessibility' theme. A nice straightforward start to the new canon.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu,  1 Sep  2011, 22:50
I really liked Lee's artwork in this issue too. It was vibrant and colourful...

Actually lets not forget Alex Sinclair!  ;D

After a second reading today, it feels very short...almost like a tease!

Now we have to wait over a month for the next one?  :'(

Fri, 21 Oct 2011, 18:24 #5 Last Edit: Fri, 21 Oct 2011, 18:28 by Silver Nemesis
This was quite a fun issue, though I wasn't mad on the shoot-first-ask-questions-later depiction of Superman. Hopefully he won't be so angry in future issues.

The highlight for me was the banter between Green Lantern and the Flash.

GREEN LANTERN: I'm with Batman.

FLASH: Batman's real?

GREEN LANTERN: Yeah, and he's a total tool.

Classic.  ;D

not sure where this post should go but what does everyone think of the new 52?

Aquaman is finally getting a decent treatment (by Geoff Johns) and is no longer the laughing stock.

Hating what they are doing to the green lantern making him gay. I'm no homophobe  but why make a straight character gay? At least it's not hal Jordan.

Quote from: riddler on Mon, 25 Jun  2012, 03:46not sure where this post should go but what does everyone think of the new 52?

Aquaman is finally getting a decent treatment (by Geoff Johns) and is no longer the laughing stock.

Hating what they are doing to the green lantern making him gay. I'm no homophobe  but why make a straight character gay? At least it's not hal Jordan.
I hate what it implies about the absence of Jade and Obsidian. Feel free to call me a homophobe, I've been called worse. Why did it have to be Alan Scott? Well, Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) is one DC's best sellers right now. What DC wanted to do is announce that "Green Lantern" is coming out of the closet. But, y'know, it's not the GL that 99% of civilians are familiar with. But DC still got their hype and controversy out of it, the whores.

As for The New 52 in general... I'm out. I haven't liked goings on with Batman (I liked Tim as Robin and Jason as a corpse, what can I say?) or Superman (I preferred the Byrne Age Superman over that Superman- The Movie-lite bullshyte). Green Lantern has been good and so have Justice League and Firestorm but I've just got no enthusiasm for any of them anymore. Judging by their sales, I guess I'm not the only one who feels disenfranchised.

I honestly can't see the whole 'this character is gay' thing as anything else other than a stunt and tokenism. That's what I think. The world today is weighted to one side, where if you disagree with something or someone, you're a racist, homophobe or whatever other thing they want to call you. I just think, if they really wanted to do it, why bother and make a big deal out of it? I think it would be better for their cause not to make a fuss out of it, just to do it as if its normal. But here it's like "oh hey everyone, look here!", y'know?

And indeed, riddler - they made a straight character gay. They're making it seem like anybody could suddenly flip at any moment despite their entire history suggesting something else. To me such a move has no substance and seems like playing politics.