Batman Game Retrospectives

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 11 Aug 2011, 23:10

Previous topic - Next topic
Tue, 14 Aug 2012, 12:05 #20 Last Edit: Fri, 19 Feb 2016, 12:03 by Nycteris
EDITED OUT

Thu, 16 Aug 2012, 02:38 #21 Last Edit: Thu, 16 Aug 2012, 04:45 by Dhennick99

Here's an embedded version. How is the amiga version of the game?
D. Hennick

Wed, 26 Sep 2012, 23:17 #22 Last Edit: Fri, 19 Feb 2016, 12:03 by Nycteris
EDITED OUT

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Wed, 26 Sep  2012, 23:17
Random thought. The Batman & Robin game on the PSX isn't that bad. I refreshed my memory recently, and decided to do a full playthrough of it. As the first proper 3D action/adventure starring Batman, it was pretty decent. It's the film's name that harmed it's reception in late '98, and taints its current reputation. It came out more than a year after a universally panned film; it was too ambitious for the time, trying to mix several things together (it's basically one of the first 3D sandbox games), and Probe maybe needed even more time; it certainly is a bit rough around the edges when it comes to controls, but it does some things right, and is certainly much better than the film itself. The attention to quality seen in Die Hard Trilogy and Alien Trilogy (Probe's previous efforts before this) were still there.

Also, some aspects and hidden stuff in the game show that some of the team were fans and loved what they were doing. There are references to B'89 (newspapers, some architecture, one location you visit is Axis Chemicals), and there's even an ad for Shreck's store. I think more people would appreciate what Probe was trying to do if it was based on one of the previous movies, the comics, or the animated show.

I have the game too, I don't play it mainly because the controls are too hard and it's difficult just figuring out exactly what to do. That being said it was a good pioneer game like you said with a sandbox enviroment. And truth be told as much as batman and robin does get criticized it is a decent film to base a video game off of.

Tue, 2 Oct 2012, 14:26 #24 Last Edit: Fri, 19 Feb 2016, 12:03 by Nycteris
EDITED OUT

Sat, 17 Nov 2012, 01:31 #25 Last Edit: Fri, 19 Feb 2016, 12:04 by Nycteris
EDITED OUT

Wed, 20 Mar 2013, 21:37 #26 Last Edit: Fri, 19 Feb 2016, 12:04 by Nycteris
EDITED OUT

The Adventures of Batman and Robin (1995 Sega Genesis) - This was a very good 2D platformer, probably one of the last till games turned 3-Dimensional. But damn it was HARD. And long! I played this game when I was 11, but I didn't get to finish until I played 10 years later, and I had to use a cheat code to do it! The game had somepretty interesting pick-ups (batarangs could suddenly surge out electrical currents). But what I  the music itself was techno-inspired which I thought was strange since I was used to hear opera-style music in anything Batman related media (the composer is appreantly the same guy who would work on the Hitman games). Not the 2D background graphics were top quality at times.

The Adventures of Batman and Robin (1994 Super Nintendo) - Easier game than the Genesis one, but not quite as fun. But at least this one had a password system, unlike the Genesis game.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Fri, 22 Mar 2013, 20:49 #28 Last Edit: Fri, 19 Feb 2016, 12:04 by Nycteris
EDITED OUT

Wed, 16 Oct 2013, 13:00 #29 Last Edit: Fri, 19 Feb 2016, 12:04 by Nycteris
EDITED OUT