Batman: The Movie (1966) and the comics

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 3 Jul 2011, 21:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Stay tuned. I've been meaning to write a feature on Batman's voice for a while now. If I have time, I'll write something up and get it posted this weekend.

Quote from: Slash Man on Fri,  8 Jul  2011, 21:50
Nice collection here. I never knew it was Frank Gorshin who came up with the suited Riddler, though. That's interesting, considering the lasting impression it had.

If not for this show, the riddler would likely not be a prominent bat villain. He didnt have many appearances in the comics until this show.

Bob Kane did indicate this show might have saved batman and they did taylor the comics to meet it. Think about what it did; it got kids in the 60s interested in Batman. I get that people don't like it's camp but it was not logistical to accurately portray the darker batman in a tv series- wouldn't appeal to children and it would look too cheezy with 60's technology (the lighter version works better).

If you're looking at the first four batfilms, each represented a decade in the comics; the first film represented the 1930's, returns featured the 40's forever the 50's and Batman and Robin the 60s.

I had to share this praise for the article by a visitor on facebook:

QuoteThis is undoubtedly one of THE BEST articles written comparing the TV series and the comics OF THE DAY! and prior to the series! A LOT of people bad-mouth the series because of it's campy style, but it was SUPERIOR to the comics in so many ways! "GOOD JOB, OLD CHUM!"

I just checked out some of those comments and I'm thrilled to see so many people are enjoying the feature. It's good to know there are fans out there who still appreciate the classic sixties Batman   ;D

This is one of the many reasons I come here.  I love these articles.  Truly outstanding work.  :)

Oh, wow. Not sure how I missed this until now, but it seems the shark repellent was actually in the comics 8 years before the 1966 movie. The issue in question was 'Manhunt in Outer Space' (Batman Vol 1 #117, August 1958).

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun, 28 Feb  2016, 16:23
Oh, wow. Not sure how I missed this until now, but it seems the shark repellent was actually in the comics 8 years before the 1966 movie. The issue in question was 'Manhunt in Outer Space' (Batman Vol 1 #117, August 1958).

Excellent pull! And mind-bending, too!
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton