Batman Forever: Virtual Workprint

Started by I_Only_Said, Mon, 21 Feb 2011, 17:25

Previous topic - Next topic
Fri, 15 May 2015, 03:26 #40 Last Edit: Fri, 15 May 2015, 04:28 by eledoremassis02
Been working on a cover for this fantastic edit!!

So, has anybody else noticed about the chatter online over#ReleaseTheSchumacherCut? I'd like to know if this fan edit is the closest thing we'll ever get, or there is more unseen footage locked up in a vault somewhere.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 11 Jul  2020, 03:58
So, has anybody else noticed about the chatter online over#ReleaseTheSchumacherCut? I'd like to know if this fan edit is the closest thing we'll ever get, or there is more unseen footage locked up in a vault somewhere.
I've seen a bit but I think that situation is a little bit different.

For one thing, I never got the impression that Schumacher ever wanted an alternate cut. Maybe I'm wrong but the impression I get is that the "director's cut" came out in theaters in 1995.

But the other thing is that even if he wanted a different cut then those materials might not be available or they might be in poor condition. Creating the new cut would not be easy to do.

I'm interested in watching a new cut of BF if one ever comes along, don't get me wrong. I just don't think a #ReleaseTheSchumacherCut thing is as realistic as ZSJL.

Sat, 11 Jul 2020, 19:58 #45 Last Edit: Sat, 11 Jul 2020, 20:02 by eledoremassis02
There does seem to be extra unfilmed things no released

apparently there was an idea of an extended edition when they were working on the deluxe DVD release in the mid 2000's
https://lostmediaarchive.fandom.com/wiki/Batman_Forever_(original_160-minute_cut;_1995)

There are a lot of little bits seen in the various making-of, like Two-Face shooting the clown at the Circus

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Sat, 11 Jul  2020, 19:58
apparently there was an idea of an extended edition when they were working on the deluxe DVD release in the mid 2000's
https://lostmediaarchive.fandom.com/wiki/Batman_Forever_(original_160-minute_cut;_1995)
This time, I think it really was just a runtime issue on behalf of the studio. Schumacher's content wasn't re-filmed, and the majority of what he shot was retained, which is why I could see him not crying foul. He could've simply put it down to the sausage making process. But scenes were reordered, giving quite a different context and sense of flow. And as we've said, the deleted scenes transform the film into something more meaningful. Once I learned of the true scene ordering (Batmobile scene after meeting Chase on the rooftop, etc) I did find it rather annoying watching the Theatrical. Good thing I still have that edit saved.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 11 Jul  2020, 23:23
This time, I think it really was just a runtime issue on behalf of the studio. Schumacher's content wasn't re-filmed, and the majority of what he shot was retained, which is why I could see him not crying foul. He could've simply put it down to the sausage making process. But scenes were reordered, giving quite a different context and sense of flow. And as we've said, the deleted scenes transform the film into something more meaningful. Once I learned of the true scene ordering (Batmobile scene after meeting Chase on the rooftop, etc) I did find it rather annoying watching the Theatrical. Good thing I still have that edit saved.

I 100% feel the same way. Its funny how much little changes can drastically change things. I do wish we'd at least get all the deleted stuff ala Mrs. Doughtfire. There was almost a second film in there!

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Sun, 12 Jul  2020, 03:17

I 100% feel the same way. Its funny how much little changes can drastically change things. I do wish we'd at least get all the deleted stuff ala Mrs. Doughtfire. There was almost a second film in there!
The Arkham opening being considered too dark (blood on the walls, etc) is one studio decision that wasn't runtime. The general tone in the majority of what Schumacher filmed wasn't exactly dark, but there was a balance that didn't really cross the line. It's a shame we didn't get that opening, but we all know the history of BR being a McNightmare for overprotective parents. From the studio's POV they'd know the beginning of a film is all about signalling tonal intent.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 12 Jul  2020, 04:01
Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Sun, 12 Jul  2020, 03:17

The Arkham opening being considered too dark (blood on the walls, etc) is one studio decision that wasn't runtime. The general tone in the majority of what Schumacher filmed wasn't exactly dark, but there was a balance that didn't really cross the line. It's a shame we didn't get that opening, but we all know the history of BR being a McNightmare for overprotective parents. From the studio's POV they'd know the beginning of a film is all about signalling tonal intent.

That also kinds backs up what Schumacher said that there wasn't any studio pushback and he essentially made the film he wanted because I don't think they would have even let him film that otherwise. I do find it funny that Chases Batman fetish did exactly causes an uproar with said overprotective parents. But I do think that was Schumacher's biggest achievement, bringing back the sponsors (for better or worse)