The Batman

Started by Paul (ral), Sun, 4 Jul 2010, 00:17

Previous topic - Next topic
I remember a few things from this series fondly, such as their take on The Penguin or Bane and the original stories. And I still love the season 1 intro.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 18 Nov  2019, 02:14
The overall tone of the series sort of reminds me of the late 60's comics, when the Adam West era had been mothballed but the fullness of Adams, O'Neil, Aparo and others hadn't come yet. It's fun and high-adventure type stuff that intentionally tries to be slightly less dark than BTAS was.
The Bat Wave device is a nice update of the B66 batphone.

I had a quick skim of this opinion piece and generally agreed with their sentiment:

https://www.cbr.com/the-batman-most-underrated-dc-animated-series/

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Mon, 18 Nov  2019, 14:43
I remember a few things from this series fondly, such as their take on The Penguin or Bane and the original stories. And I still love the season 1 intro.
People can say what they want about U2, but The Edge's main theme is seriously cool. Most Batman themes go for gothic and orchestral. But he ignored all that to do his own thing with a spy thriller atmosphere that elicits mystery in a whole other way. Apart from the original BTAS introduction (which is untouchable) I think this is the best from a Batman animated show.

I actually never even fully watched this show, only a few episodes. When it originally aired, I was still in college and didn't have cable, and it was briefly on Netflix, and right when I started to watch it, they took it down by the time I got to the third episode, lol.

Maybe I'll get around to it one day?

I love this show. It's different from the animated series, but it does somethings better.
I like this show's version of Catwoman better than the animated series version. The animated series version of Catwoman was a damsel in distress half the time, whereas this show's version of Catwoman is a character who doesn't need a man to save her.
I also feel that the worst episode of The Batman is better than the worst episode of the animated series.

Quote from: Vampfox on Fri, 29 Nov  2019, 17:46
I love this show. It's different from the animated series, but it does somethings better.
I like this show's version of Catwoman better than the animated series version. The animated series version of Catwoman was a damsel in distress half the time, whereas this show's version of Catwoman is a character who doesn't need a man to save her.
I also feel that the worst episode of The Batman is better than the worst episode of the animated series.
This 2011 opinion piece makes the case for some of the things The Batman did better than BTAS, and they agreed with your opinion on Catwoman:

https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2011/11/06/what-the-batman-did-better-than-batman-the-animated-series/

I find the arguments very sound and fair.

The tie-in comic for this show is pretty good too.

It's just a fun Batman universe. I prefer it over the Nolan movies that tried too hard to be grounded.

I've watched a couple of episodes of this show in the past, the one I remember the most is Batman teaming up with Green Arrow, but I just can't get into it. I appreciate they tried to do something different, and it was always going to be a tough act to follow after the DCAU era, but the animation and the voice acting feels so flat. It's simply not for me.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Vampfox on Mon, 13 Jan  2020, 15:49
It's just a fun Batman universe. I prefer it over the Nolan movies that tried too hard to be grounded.
This show gets dismissed, but I think the most underrated Batman product would have to be Beware The Batman. The Batman at least had five seasons and 65 episodes. Beware only had one season and 26 episodes, meaning its own individual foothold is greatly lessened. However, I think Beware is elevated when you keep Earth One in mind, which also features a young Batman with a rougher Alfred. That's what begins momentum and a trend in the franchise as a whole, especially if The Batman with Pattinson and Serkis continues that vibe. So ultimately, for a show that I don't think many actually saw, the influence may end up being quite large.   

At one time there were plans for a movie based on the Hush storyline set in The Batman universe.

Quote from: Vampfox on Fri, 26 Jun  2020, 14:55

At one time there were plans for a movie based on the Hush storyline set in The Batman universe.
I would've been up for that. I doubt they would've taken the same liberties that modern DC animated films are becoming infamous for.