BATMAN LET RAS DIE

Started by MOODY, Wed, 10 Feb 2010, 16:58

Previous topic - Next topic
Why did batman let ras die in batman begins? That was not against hir rule of no killing? Can you answer me. I remember letting Joker crashed with a helicopter when he killed Jason Todd.
You wanna get nuts? Come on! Let's get nuts!

My view is that he didn't let him die and he didn't "choose" not to save him either - that train was going down and he barely got himself out.

Oh and btw, please refain from using capital letters in threads - thx

But he said BUT i don't have to save you...

Quote from: MOODY on Wed, 10 Feb  2010, 17:23
But he said BUT i don't have to save you...

I think Ral answered the question quite clearly but to reiterate, the point is that Batman didn't kill Ras himself.  He just chose not to help him.

Having stated the above I can also state that in law Batman could possibly be seen as owing Ras a duty of care if he was in fact able to save him.  The 'act' of omission can sometimes be held to the same legal standard as an act of commission.  Although as Ral also pointed out, Batman barely had enough time to save himself so irrespective of what he said to Ras, the simple fact was that he was unable to do anything for his nemesis.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Johnny, I'm familiar with that law but there is an exception which apparently you're forgetting about. In the famous case of Roe v. Lazarus the court held that you do not have a duty to save the immortal.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Wed, 10 Feb  2010, 23:22
Johnny, I'm familiar with that law but there is an exception which apparently you're forgetting about. In the famous case of Roe v. Lazarus the court held that you do not have a duty to save the immortal.

Sorry, I was going by English and Welsh law.  Roe v Lazaruz must be an American case... ;)

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: ral on Wed, 10 Feb  2010, 17:01
My view is that he didn't let him die and he didn't "choose" not to save him either - that train was going down and he barely got himself out.
He had enough time to give his little statement, though.

If you read Batman Cacophony you will see that batman choose to save the joker and not let him die, by the knife in his heart. Gordon said not to do it but he choose to save him because he said that he is a human being.

All of these remarks about the circumstances overlook the main point.  If Nolan had wanted Batman to save Ras, he could've written that into the script.

He chose not to... and then he chose to make a point of not doing it.

First rule of comic book movies: Guy that discovers hero's identity ends up dying.

I guess Riddler was the exception...