Superman/Batman: Apocalypse

Started by phantom stranger, Wed, 29 Dec 2010, 04:23

Previous topic - Next topic
Wed, 29 Dec 2010, 04:23 Last Edit: Wed, 29 Dec 2010, 04:31 by phantom stranger
Anyone had a chance to watch this yet?

I've never been a big Darkseid fan so I wasn't really expecting this to make my top DC movies list. Indeed, the movie starts off rather slow with some very monotonous newscasters talking about Batman as if he was in the Adam West-universe. And once you finally meet the Supergirl character, she comes across as rather annoying. Also, much to my surprise, the witty banter between Batman and Superman that made Public Enemies so unique is all but absent from this movie.

Having said that, the pace really picks up about 1/3 into the movie and I found myself really digging the action. Hopefully Zach Snyder is taking notes on how to perfect an awesome Superman fight scene.

Also, I've always loved the late Michael Turner's rendition of Batman so it was nice to see him in action.

Overall, it's not a game-changer like Red Hood but I'd rank it alongside Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths as a solid release that's certainly worthy of a viewing or two.

Got it when it came out, but never watched it all, fell asleep :-X

Might rewatch it soon tho, but Public Enemies will not be touched by this IMO, PE was the best Animation film yet by DC, with RedHood 2nd ;)

I saw it on netflix best part was Batman saying damn and hell
you ever dance with the devil on a pale moon light

I watched on Netflix, it held my interest but it wasn't great, primarily a superman cartoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May I persuade you to take a sandwich with you, sir?

I like Darkseid a lot but felt that Andre Braugher was a poor substitute for Michael Ironside. As for the film itself, I wasn't overly wowed by it. The best moment for me was when Batman outsmarted Darkseid, it was a perfect example of how Batman can beat someone stronger than himself by relying more on his brain than his fists. Always great to have Conroy and Daly (plus Susan Eisenberg,Yowzah!) back in their respective roles. I like Summer Glau a lot but her role wasn't very interesting even though it was supposed to be the focal point.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

I watched it. Not sure why though. I mean, if you don't like the story on which the movie is based, you probably won't like the movie. Such is the case here. There's very little about this story that isn't pure, undiluted Jeph Loeb bullsh!t so the plot has holes you could drive a Mack truck through, characterizations are off, etc. It's a mess. If you don't bother thinking about it too much, it's probably okay but in general it's lackluster.