The Avengers movie

Started by Grissom, Wed, 29 Feb 2012, 17:08

Previous topic - Next topic
can't disagree with any of your posts. I'm very curious to see how the DVD sales/blue ray sales compare. Personally I think this is a better indicator of a film than the box office. Just because someone saw a film does not mean they liked it. For instance i saw the 2003 hulk film in theatres (only saw it one more time since and that was on TV) but purchased the 2008 film because i actually wanted to see it multiple times. I wonder how many people who actually sat through TDKR want to see it multiple times. I've seen the avengers 3 times (once in theatres, twice since) and could easily go through it again.;

Thu, 25 Oct 2012, 01:38 #31 Last Edit: Fri, 26 Oct 2012, 16:00 by thecolorsblend
Quote from: riddler on Wed, 24 Oct  2012, 00:49can't disagree with any of your posts. I'm very curious to see how the DVD sales/blue ray sales compare. Personally I think this is a better indicator of a film than the box office. Just because someone saw a film does not mean they liked it. For instance i saw the 2003 hulk film in theatres (only saw it one more time since and that was on TV) but purchased the 2008 film because i actually wanted to see it multiple times. I wonder how many people who actually sat through TDKR want to see it multiple times. I've seen the avengers 3 times (once in theatres, twice since) and could easily go through it again.;
If a movie hits "only" $400 million, yeah, I could see that. But with runaway successes like Avengers ($620 mill in the US), my honest assumption is that some proportion of those ticket sales come down to repeat business, pure and simple. People not only liked what they saw but they saw it again and again, and they usually brought someone else along. Avengers was bigger and better than most people could've dreamed and the best evidence of that is how insane the box office was.

Definitely colors.

The Avengers is everything John Blake Rises isn't and audiences lapped it up.

JB Rises builds up the threat level and scenarios one after another, but there's never any satisfying release.
The Avengers gives us satisfying releases of action. We see the heroes strutting their stuff.

I thoroughly enjoyed and loved The Avengers. I thought it was a terrifically-made comic-book movie, one of the best ever in that regard.

Iron Man has always been my all-time favorite Marvel hero and having him in the movie was certainly a plus for me, but I have to say that I really liked all of the other characters' dimensions and characterizations. I came to appreciate the Hulk more, for instance.

I've been an Iron Man fan and reader since I was 6 or 7 and still am to this day. I think it's a terrific character, more complex than it appears.
"Bats frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread."

How about Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson as the Hulk in the sequel?

Quote from: Batman88 on Fri, 26 Oct  2012, 08:58
I thoroughly enjoyed and loved The Avengers. I thought it was a terrifically-made comic-book movie, one of the best ever in that regard.

Iron Man has always been my all-time favorite Marvel hero and having him in the movie was certainly a plus for me, but I have to say that I really liked all of the other characters' dimensions and characterizations. I came to appreciate the Hulk more, for instance.

I've been an Iron Man fan and reader since I was 6 or 7 and still am to this day. I think it's a terrific character, more complex than it appears.

I'm not a huge iron man comic fan. They're not bad per se but I really think the film upgraded him from a second grade hero few knew about. That being said I like his uniqueness; he's the only one with duality but without the superhero alter ego. it's known he's Tony stark. But he truly makes being a genius billionaire superhero cool; If you were going to have the same life as a superhero who would you pick? Captain america being frozen in time? Bruce Banner always on the run? Peter Parker living in poverty with no life? Maybe Bruce Wayne although he seems very alone and unhappy. But stark makes it cool. Okay the arc reactor for a heart is rough but there's worse superheroes out there.

Thu, 8 Nov 2012, 20:40 #36 Last Edit: Thu, 8 Nov 2012, 20:42 by SilentEnigma
I think Downey in the role was what sold Iron Man. I'm saying the obvious, but he's incredibly charismatic and likeable. Before the 2008 movie I didn't really care for Iron Man, I barely had read any of the comics, but in the live action movies he's my second favourite of all time. Downey's presence was what made IM interesting to me (that, and the riff heard in the early trailers of the first movie).

Iron Man 3 trailer looks very good, hope they didn't give too much away though.