Guess who's coming to Blackpool?....

Started by Cobblepot4Mayor, Thu, 20 Aug 2015, 15:53

Previous topic - Next topic
Just thought I'd mention to any fans in the vicinity of Northern England if you haven't managed to catch any of the showbiz news lately you may be extremely interested to hear that the big man himself, Tim Burton, is going to be switching on the famous (or these days infamous? :() Blackpool Pleasure Beach lights!!

Now THIS sure makes a change from another teeny bop boy band guest don't it? Doctor Who's David Tennant once turned them on during the prime of his series in 2008 (leading to all manner of vehicle congestion chaos in the process). But, when was the last time that you saw Tim Burton come to something so well, gosh darn surprising in the UK? I'm certainly going, it sure cheered me up after the horrible news of Yvonne Craig's passing. I once had an opportunity to meet Adam West when he came to my local Forbidden Planet store here in Liverpool back in about 1995....only it took place on a school day. Needless to say I've never forgiven my mum for that horrendous blunder so won't be passing this chance up.

Turns out Tim has been shooting in Blackpool for his latest film. I thought at first, Beetlejuice 2? Nah hasn't gone into production yet. How about his live action version of the Disney feature Dumbo? Would make sense with Blackpool's circus-like promenade (boardwalk I guess to you US citizens). Ironic since the place was once home to the famous Dumbo ride my sister and I would have fun on as kids. He said many gracious things about his love for Blackpool which was quite wonderful to hear. Burton always had a respect for all things British. And Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds, YAY! It does make me wonder just when has he been there before? Somebody also said he was recently spotted in a Blackpool hospital A@E, just sitting there waiting his turn like everybody else for his appointment. Imagine?! I couldn't possibly resist reminding him of his parody of such a mundane situation in Beetlejuice by impersonating Keaton: "HEY! There goes ELVIS! Yo KING!" lol

You must have missed my thread from yesterday Cobblepot4Mayor: http://www.batman-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=3110.msg44467#new  ;)

I believe Burton is shooting Mrs Pettigrew's School for Peculiar Children in the Blackpool vicinity.  Anyway, it's great that Burton is a fan of the city (it's the birthplace of my old man, who also, like yourself, happens to be a Liverpudlian).

I'd love to see Burton switch on the lights but I doubt I'd get to meet him or get an autograph from him.  I tried to get one at the Leicester Square premiere of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory back in 2005, but alas he declined to sign the "Sight and Sound" magazine featuring Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka, that I offered.  However, Johnny Depp did oblige!  :)

I just hope the Blackpool illuminations lighting turns out better than the tree lighting in Batman Returns.  ;)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

im from Yorkshire - so not far away at all
Ohhhh, that looks like fun! Lemme try! *Lemme try!* Ball up the fist, reach way back, and assert your... OW!!