Beware the Batman

Started by BatmAngelus, Tue, 4 Oct 2011, 23:54

Previous topic - Next topic
Ultimately, all I care about is the writing. I wasn't crazy about the CGI in the Green Lantern cartoon but (much to my surprise) it was actually pretty well-written. Had the live-action film used the pilot's script, we might have had a Green Lantern 2 by now.

As for the villains, I think they've gone on record as saying they only want to use villains which haven't been used before. I think it's a bold strategy and I commend them for not going the easy Joker/Riddler route. Having said that, I'm sure they'll show up in later seasons.

i hope they do have the old faves eventually but this will be fun. i already love this magpie and all i know about her is what i saw in that one little clip lol.

um does anyone know how magpie is pronounced? like a pie? "blueberry pie, strawberry pie, cherry pie, magpie?" lol.

Is it just me or does the new Batmobile remind anyone of the Mach 5?
http://www.anime-cel.com/ourstuff/machgogo1.htm

It does. And the intro is fine. Just a short little groove dissolving into the show proper.

Quote from: GBglide on Fri,  5 Jul  2013, 09:33
Is it just me or does the new Batmobile remind anyone of the Mach 5?
http://www.anime-cel.com/ourstuff/machgogo1.htm

Good observation. It looks quite similar to the Alex Ross Batmobile too.

I sense a shared ancestry here.

Latest interview:
http://comicsalliance.com/beware-the-batman-glen-murakami-mitch-watson-interview-producers/

This intrigues me the most:
QuoteGM: In the beginning, when we developing [the series], I grabbed all of these Batman comics and I was looking through them. I sort of felt like it's getting to be the same thing over and over and over again. Even the character dynamics and relationships seemed like they were sort of the same thing. It seemed like it was going to be the same thing. We asked, can we start from this different place?

By doing that, it sort of put a slightly different spin on the character. When Mitch and I were discussing the stories, it was like, yeah, but we need to somehow figure out things to make it more Batman, but with these new characters.

MW: We wanted the villains not to just be these sort of be shoved into stories. Every time we put a villain in the show, it wasn't just to stick a new villain in. It was specifically to bring out a new aspect of Batman or Bruce Wayne's personality. Every villain we stuck in the show, there was a reason they were in those particular episodes. That's why you're not going to see a bunch of episodes that are about bank robberies or those kinds of things that are more traditional stories.

We tried to be more about the characters. What was going on with Bruce Wayne, what was going on with Batman, and what was going on with Alfred, for that matter. And what was going on with these villains. Yeah, they're bad people, but you want to have a bit of sympathy for them in some ways. To do that, you have to peel back the layers of their personalities.

GM: The challenge was how we take some of these lesser Batman villains and bring them up to the level of the old rogues' gallery. It was really difficult, but I think it was a lot of fun doing that. What was cool about it, too, was it brought out different aspects of Batman I think you haven't seen before. Just to see his interaction with different villains makes it interesting.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

I've always felt the broad popularity of Batman's gallery of rogues was largely due to the exposure they received on the sixties TV show. This new series could help boost the profile of some of his lesser known adversaries in a similar manner.

I certainly won't miss the familiar rogues. The Joker in particular has been badly overexposed in recent years. I'll be glad to take a break from him.

that was....interesting.

i better watch a few more episodes before i pass judgement lol

Interesting's a good word for it.  While the animation is certainly new for a Batman show and the stuff with Alfred and Katana is a fresh direction, I thought the story itself wasn't that different from the average Batman episode you'd see in B:TAS or The Batman.  Not that that's a problem, but after all the talk about making things fresher, I guess I expected a less predictable story.  Still, I'll stick around for the next few episodes.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...