Beware the Batman

Started by BatmAngelus, Tue, 4 Oct 2011, 23:54

Previous topic - Next topic
http://www.batman-online.com/?news&id=85

I may be in the minority about this, but I kinda like the 1939 Batman style design.

Katana is an interesting choice as Batman's sidekick.  It doesn't seem random, though, since she works with Batman in The Outsiders.  And the comments about her not being a complete substitute to Robin could be an indication that we'll get Robin later on.

As for the villains, I'm not a huge fan of Professor Pyg or Mr. Toad, but it's kinda cool that they're incorporating some of the new comic book characters.  Any idea who the white-haired lady next to Pyg is meant to be?

As for the most controversial part of the image- I was honestly more surprised by the idea of Alfred fighting crime with Batman & Katana than I was about Alfred using guns. 

Alfred's often used a shotgun to protect Wayne Manor (though the only time I recall him actually firing it was in Batman vs. Predator when he shot the Predator in the back.  I know that story may not be canon, but the writers of that comic probably did that because they saw Alfred using a shotgun in previous comics). 

The first Superman/Batman story arc, Public Enemies, also had Alfred pointing a shotgun at Superman and Batman before they got closer and he realized who they were.  If I recall correctly, this was carried over into the animated DVD adaptation of that story. 
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8nh0WtVaAfw/SUXsWgevujI/AAAAAAAAAA4/wOxN62t4Me0/s1600-h/SB+%23002.jpg

Judging from the response to the image today, I wonder if anyone remembers any of this.  Hell, one of the more popular images of Bane that's gotten posted around the 'Net (after he was announced as the Dark Knight Rises villain) has Alfred pointing a shotgun to his face: http://geekdraw.com/dc-comics/bane/7602395

I'm sure Silver Nemesis has some comic scans to show more, too, and I don't know if he's used handguns before, like in that image, but the fact is that Alfred's been using a gun in the canon for awhile and, given his military background, it makes sense.  Granted, it's not as organic as Jim Gordon being armed (since Gordon's a cop) and it's not something that I've had a desire to see in every Batman story, but I feel that the canon has shown that Batman's trust and alliance with Gordon and Alfred has outweighed any contempt for their gun use.

We'll see how they portray Alfred the vigilante in Beware the Batman, though.  Alfred protecting the cave with a shotgun is one thing, but is he really going to be out with Batman?  Wouldn't he have to worry about a secret identity?  Those are things I'm more concerned about than him carrying guns.  Besides, considering this is a kids' show, I doubt Alfred will be shooting anyone to death anyway.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Great background info there...thanks.

I'm just not easy with Alfred running around pro-actively using guns.

Yeah, it's an odd choice for sure and I'm curious how it'll play out.

Still, I think the image would've gone over a lot better if Jim Gordon was the one pictured with the guns instead.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Wed, 5 Oct 2011, 21:01 #3 Last Edit: Wed, 5 Oct 2011, 21:03 by Silver Nemesis
BatmAngelus is spot on about Alfred's use of guns. Another example I'd mention is The Cult, in which its implied Alfred shot – and in all likelihood killed – several of Deacon Blackfire's fanatics when he went to pick up Batman and Robin in #3.

Regarding the new animated series, it could be fun. Taking the CGI route worked well for Clone Wars and would help avoid unfavourable comparisons with Batman: TAS. I wonder if it's set in the same universe as the computer animated Green Lantern series? If so, this could mark the start of a new DCAU.

Wed, 18 Apr 2012, 22:48 #4 Last Edit: Wed, 18 Apr 2012, 23:30 by Paul (ral)
The first teaser's online.

I'll admit, I was dubious when I first heard about this - but I think we should all take a deep breath and see how it pans out.

"Beware", this teaser couldn't have a more apt title. It will either be another Bat-cartoon that divides fans ("The Batman"), or actually really good. At least the video and the poster look more promising than that horrible promo pic a few posts above.

Looking on the positive side, I do like that the lesser known Batman villains will be getting more of an emphasis here. The Joker and friends are iconic and fan favourites, but I feel a deviation from that could really lend a different flavour to things.

this could go either way for me.  On the positive side I'm open to different interpretations of Batman, and I like that some of the lesser known characters are getting a run in a new series.  Some of the designs look particular good on paper.

I don't care for this kind of computer animation, though.  It may take me a little while to warm up to it.  But I'll give it a shot.  :)