Kiss from a Rose

Started by Edd Grayson, Fri, 12 Jul 2013, 02:58

Previous topic - Next topic
I think this video is slightly better than the whole movie  :)

The song certainly is, as is 'Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me' and I don't even usually care that much for U2.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Man, KFAR takes me back. That whole summer was awesome but that movie and that music video... It's like being 14 all over again any time I see it. The excitement and anticipation of a new Batman movie!! Man, there's just nothing like it. No, the whole thing wasn't as insanely huge as B89 had been but the entire marketing effort had a real energy and intensity to it. Everybody involved with the movie did promo stuff determined to prove that they had the goods that summer, Batman is back and the competition had better run for cover! The video gave the impression (which the final product somewhat delivered on) that Forever was going to look like equal parts Neal Adams and Dick Sprang with a little Frank Miller, Bruce Timm and Norm Breyfogle for good measure.

If I may say so, the comics were also firing on all cylinders. Two Face, Tim and Dick "coincidentally" played major parts of the 1995 comics but it didn't feel like marketing stuff. It really came off organic to most of the stories.

The summer of 1995 was an awesome time to be a Batman fan!

2008 was a good time too for me, I was only one year old in 1995 ;D

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Fri, 12 Jul  2013, 04:45
2008 was a good time too for me, I was only one year old in 1995 ;D
You're a baby.  ;D

Yes but I do my homework  :D

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Fri, 12 Jul  2013, 04:452008 was a good time too for me, I was only one year old in 1995 ;D
Eh, 2008 was marred for me in that the media narrative was "this isn't just a good Batman film; it's a good FILM". I never knew what to make of that pretentious BS. What, directing Batman movies is usually the cinematic equivalent of the Special Olympics so thank God that Chris Nolan is here to show us plebes what it's all about? Look, if you've got happy memories of that era, more power to you, but I felt talked down to the entire time.

The Dark Knight is a Batman film no matter how much they will try to turn it into something else.

The Dark Knight Rises, though, is more a Nolan film than a Batman film to be honest.  ;D

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 12 Jul  2013, 04:57
Quote from: Edd Grayson on Fri, 12 Jul  2013, 04:452008 was a good time too for me, I was only one year old in 1995 ;D
Eh, 2008 was marred for me in that the media narrative was "this isn't just a good Batman film; it's a good FILM". I never knew what to make of that pretentious BS. What, directing Batman movies is usually the cinematic equivalent of the Special Olympics so thank God that Chris Nolan is here to show us plebes what it's all about? Look, if you've got happy memories of that era, more power to you, but I felt talked down to the entire time.
To be fair, you make a good point here.  I am a big fan of TDK but I agree that some of the coverage surrounding the film felt condescending to the fans of previous comic-book, particularly Batman films.  I'd also argue that if one wants to point to a comic-book movie that transcends its genre Batman Returns is a far better example than TDK.  I don't personally think it's a better film but in many ways I think it is a more impressive cinematic achievement than TDK which is still a fairly safe film, a Michael Mann thriller which stays very close to its comic-book source.

Christmas 1998, I got three Batman action-figures + Robin and the 1989 toy Batmobile  :)