And our new Batman is apparently.....

Started by Catwoman, Fri, 17 May 2019, 01:35

Previous topic - Next topic
Robert Pattinson

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/robert-pattinson-batman-matt-reeves-bruce-wayne-dc-comics-1203125473/

After I made a fool of myself the day of Affleck's casting, I will never not take the "wait and see" approach again with any Batman actor. Still this name isn't exactly exciting lol. Not that I am too sure of a name that would have excited me, because I am still disappointed we aren't going to get to see Affleck solo.

I've only seen him in Goodtime, and thought he was good in it. I know people will make fun of him for Twilight, but I honestly don't care, nor have I seen those movies. If Matt Reeves likes him, that's all that matters. I'm totally cool with it.

Bring it on!  8)

Not as good as I hoped.

Nowhere near as bad as I feared. Like, not even close. I'll keep my worst fears to myself. But the werewolf guy is miles ahead of most of the other choices that were getting tossed around.

Something else. I'm content to give the guy a chance. He's already successfully led his own franchise once. He's stable enough to handle the stresses of it.

He's done a lot of character-driven stuff and has shown he's more than just a pretty face.

All of this is to say that I'm more than willing to give him a chance.

I made my mind up about Pattison weeks ago and have wanted him to get the role ever since, so I'm glad things look to have turned out this way. To be completely honest I'll be disappointed if he doesn't get it now. It clicked in my mind really fast, from "WTF" to "actually... yeah...I see it." I first expressed interest in PatBat with this part of a post on February 11, 2019:

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 11 Feb  2019, 11:18
I'm on board with the alleged Robert Pattinson rumor making the rounds. Yes, you read correctly. And hear me out.

At first I was like I assume most people. Pattinson? That Twilight punk? What a joke, please don't be true!

But I let the idea sit with me for a while, and I'm warming to it. Why do you ask? Because on paper he actually seems to have a lot going for him. At 32 years of age he's a young man, which is exactly the point of Reeves' film - and he has the height. Much like Ben Affleck, who he actually kinda resembles as a younger version, I can envision him navigating the playboy and business worlds quite easily.

Keaton was pigeonholed as Mr Mom, but he showed he could be more than that. Affleck proved people wrong as well. I think having a name actor of some degree does help somewhat as well.

So for these reasons, I wouldn't be ripping my hair out if he got the job.

All I posted then holds true for me now.

You'll get the Twilight jokes, especially early on after the announcement, but I don't think that matters much. From what I've seen I believe people are more receptive to his casting than you think. Pattison is known, but he's not a huge star, which I think is a good balance. There's still breathing room for him to surprise and grow into the role like the others did.

He looks like a young Bruce Wayne to me.

Fri, 17 May 2019, 12:23 #5 Last Edit: Fri, 17 May 2019, 12:29 by Kamdan
There's a lot of ignorance behind the casting of Edward Cullen as Batman. Other actors know how heavy it is to take this role and how it can affect their future. Affleck thought he was going to have his cake and eat it too with doing Oscar worthy material and be a tentpole franchise. However, he shot himself in the foot by saying previously how Daredevil was "embarrassing" for him to be in despite it giving him the opportunity of meeting his future wife (who divorced him) and that the studio ordered it changed from a R-rating to PG-13. He used his clout to have it done his way to ensure his satisfaction and everything fell on its face.

Now you've got a good director in Matt Reeves who's given a daunting task of delivering a new Batman film with a company that's just throwing spaghetti on the wall and seeing if it sticks. Many of our preferred choices for the role are scared away from the controversy and the lack of differentiation from how this role has been played for the last decade. The bar has been set high after the Nolan films, which are still fresh in audiences' minds and some are wondering why Bake is still not in the role.

Pattinson knows he won't be getting a call from Marvel soon, so he figures he'll try anything to shake off Twilight from his image. Just hope he's ready for all of the criticisms about not contributing anything unique to the character's onscreen portrayal, which is the likely path this new film is gonna take. I've really enjoyed reading the thread about what all we'd like to see in this new Batman film, but it looks like none of that is going to show up with this take.

Reeves wants a more cerebral, character driven Batman with an emphasis on detective work. We've had elements of that in previous films, but has it been a big factor? No, it hasn't. More detective work has long been on fan wishlists, so I can't see people being wildly angry about that playing a more prominent role. The real ignorance is the idea Robert is only capable of being Edward Cullen, and that's all he's ever done. It's early days and Reeves is a good director, which goes a long way. If DC have a solid set of contained solo Batman films I wouldn't care about their strategies with other characters. It'd be irrelevant.

Can I copyright the name 'Battinson' before it becomes a meme or has someone already beaten me to it?

That was a meme/name the second it was announced. People were using it all last night.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 17 May  2019, 12:47
Reeves wants a more cerebral, character driven Batman with an emphasis on detective work.
We've heard that kind of talk for years, but that mostly gets sidelined with the studio wanting something more straightforward. It would be nice for them to let the filmmakers off the leash and see what they can give us and hopefully not another Dark Knight clone. Going with Battison helps them drum up some publicity like when Keaton was cast. Problem is that Burton and Keaton has to prove what they were doing was not comedy. There's nothing really to prove here beside that they're doing another dark and serious Batman film.

As discussed in the other thread, why don't they try something we haven't seen attempted for a while and show Batman with Robin again. Don't do as cheaply as Batman & Robin and make it campfest, but something that evokes those 40's comics so that it doesn't feel like they're doing a pale imitation of what has been done for the last decade and a half. This casting is just a further reminder that not much of a risk is willing to be taken and we'll just have to wait until they try again.